Is it still worth getting a ps3?

lewy_your_pic

Do not skip MGS1, either play the ps1 game or keep your fingers crossed for this rumoured remake. The plot of MGS2 will be severely lessened by skipping it, the whole series tbh. Some people would say the same about Metal Gear 1 and 2 but I think they were aware not many people played those and most of the pertinent information was covered in the later games when needed. I never played them and wasn't lost skipping them, I doubt anyone could say the same starting with MGS2

PS3 in general, get one if you've never had one. A lot of good games still ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lewy_your_pic said:

I’ve always been interested in the metal gear franchise but never got to play the 1-4. I played 5 loved the gameplay but never got to finish it. However, I always go back to YouTube videos of 1-4. Do you think it’ll be worth it to buy a ps3 to play these old games. I know there ain’t a way to play 1 from my knowledge so I’ll be getting 2-4 and peace Walker from the collection 

I would say yeah, if you want to play games like Prince of Persia, God of War, Black Ops 1, Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations/Revolution, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, and the like. 

Ps3 list pro:

Cheap console

Cheap physical games

Free online

Ps3 list con:

Many server closures

No digital sales anymore

Controller battery life may be poor due to age (get a long usb cord)

You can get a ps3 and the mgs games, or 1.5 ps5 games. Personally I don't have an interest in metal gear solid, and I wouldn't recommend getting a console just to play one or even 4 games. But that's more for a brand new current console. Getting a cheap used console for a couple games you really want to play is a much easier thing to recommend.

• Like 2

See my account, it's only dedicated to PS3 even having a PS4, it's not saying enough? I still have +330 offline games to plat, so definitely worth it :D

The fun I have on a PS3... incomparable

Oh and I have three! One at my parents and two at my house. Everywhere I go, a PS3 is coming with me

Edited by Puppeter04
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, talespagni said:

I'd say go for it. PS3 has a wonderful, amazing library of games.

But keep in mind that maybe the MGS is getting a re-release. According to this news, 1 is getting a remake and the others are getting a remaster:

Yeah I’ll wait until I hear more from this and make a decision from there 

My advice is to get one, there are many valid titles apart from metal gear.

But also consider the fact that while you still can and will find many physical titles for a cheap price, sony seems to have abandoned the digital shop, so you will not have discounts on digital ps shop anymore.

Just now, ddrakner said:

My advice is to get one, there are many valid titles apart from metal gear.

But also consider the fact that while you still can and will find many physical titles for a cheap price, sony seems to have abandoned the digital shop, so you will not have discounts on digital ps shop anymore.

You can still buy stuff on there tho right? Because I would be wanting mgs 1 through the ps store 

3 minutes ago, lewy_your_pic said:

You can still buy stuff on there tho right? Because I would be wanting mgs 1 through the ps store 

Store is still there and 100% working, both for vita and ps3 titles. You will have to browse games manually because they removed almost every sections dedicated to them. 

First thing to consider is that you will have to pay full price for a game in the store and sometimes there is a physical release where you can spend less money, so make some research before buying.

Second thing is that games get delisted from store every now and then. Mgs should still be there, just search for it and see 

If you want to trophy hunt and don’t care about the ‘best versions’ of the games (which can be found on pc or 360), then I say yes

sure most of the games got remastered, but there are still some games worth playing

on top of head

Metal Gear Solid 2-4 and Peace Walker

Dead Space 

Infamous

Red Dead Redemption

Max Payne 3

Final Fantasy XIII 

Tales of games

many ps2 hd remasters

Edited by TalalHmd
  • Like 1

I'm going to be the odd one out and say no. If you don't already have a ps3 laying around, there is no point in getting one on 2020.

Outside of some very specific games series like Metal Gear almost every game of significance on the PlayStation 3 has been ported or remade at this point. 

As for playing MGS 1,2,3, and PW, you can easily emulate them using the GC, PS2, and PSP emulators.
As for MGS 4 and MGR, while they are okay games are not really worth the $200-$300 you would have to play to get a guaranteed functional ps3 and game disks.

Edited by Wavergray

6 hours ago, lewy_your_pic said:

I don’t care about the multiplats tbh I only want it to play the metal gear games I have found one for £105 that’s with the metal gear games and the ps3 

If you wanna play MGS, yeah get it. Dualshock 3 has the pressure sensitive face buttons unlike PS4 and PS5 controller, and MGS 2 & 3 used them.

Play it anywhere else, and it will feel off.

Good luck finding an original Dualshock 3, tho. Those are tough to get these days

I'd say yes. PS3 is something that is likely never going to have great emulation, heck even the PS2 is still a bit spotty with emulation (even with Sony's own PS2 emulators), so I think it's something worth owning for that reason alone if it has games you can't otherwise obtain for other systems.

Konami has been porting quite a few of their older games recently, but by older I'm talking no newer than PS1. I don't see MGS4 getting ported to anything more modern any time soon, if ever, and the MGS series is definitely worth playing imho, or at least trying out to see if you like it. One of my favourite series, even after all these years. The first MGS may get remade soon-ish if rumours are to be believed, but after Twin Snakes I'm kinda apprehensive of any remake of that game.

PS3s tend to be rather cheap nowadays (though I assume that would also depend on your country), and MGS4 copies tend to be very plentiful and dirt cheap both here in the UK and America at least I believe.

Edited by SuperSmexy500
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

I'd say yes. PS3 is something that is likely never going to have great emulation, heck even the PS2 is still a bit spotty with emulation (even with Sony's own PS2 emulators), so I think it's something worth owning for that reason alone if it has games you can't otherwise obtain for other systems.

Konami has been porting quite a few of their older games recently, but by older I'm talking no newer than PS1. I don't see MGS4 getting ported to anything more modern any time soon, if ever, and the MGS series is definitely worth playing imho, or at least trying out to see if you like it. One of my favourite series, even after all these years. The first MGS may get remade soon-ish if rumours are to be believed, but after Twin Snakes I'm kinda apprehensive of any remake of that game.

PS3s tend to be rather cheap nowadays (though I assume that would also depend on your country), and MGS4 copies tend to be very plentiful and dirt cheap both here in the UK and America at least I believe.

I might get one depending on the remake rumours as they are also saying there might be remasters of 2-4 but I’ll just wait and see what happens and might buy a ps3 mid next year if nothing comes from the rumours. It’s not like I need it urgently I still have games to play and get through like FF7 remake which I wanna finish on ps5 

Absolutely yes! I’ve been having fun time with a lot of PS3 games. You can even download PS1 classic games, say like SILENT HILL, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, The Legend of Dragoon, and a few more ones.  It’s worth picking up Dead Space, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3, and 4: Guns of the Patriots. Rising: Revengeance too if you're into some hack 'n' slash gameplay. Spec Ops The Line was a fantastic game & I think you don’t want to skip it. Check Resistance 3 as well and it was one of the most fun games I've ever played. I don't know how much long can the PS3 console system last, but I think as long as you clean the dust off and put it in a good environment, it should be okay! Just beware of PS Store a bit because It lags really bad sometimes. Hell, I've had using my PS2 over 18 years and it's still running fine. 

• Like 1