Is it still worth getting a ps3?

lewy_your_pic

Absolutely. I just started Chrono Cross again and Parasite Eve. You can play those on PS3 either on disc or digital download. So, if you haven't had the chance to play some of the older games, you can do it now with a PS3 or wait a couple years and hope for a remaster, port, remake, etc. Besides, playing the MGS collection is a major reason to own a PS3 already.

• Like 2

I would really love to buy a PS3, and by that I would have every console from the Seventh Generation of videogame consoles, and I could feel that the circle is finally complete. 

While I wouldn't have trouble to replay many of the same games released for the Xbox 360, should be really nice and cute to have all those same titles with this current and more active account than what I left years ago in the green and white console. There are plenty of titles I want to play and hadn't the chance to try to! 

6 hours ago, darkrequiem7 said:

Ps3 list con:

Many server closures

No digital sales anymore

Controller battery life may be poor due to age (get a long usb cord)

This is the list for a trophy hunter.   No more getting cheap PS3 games, other than finding a physical copy at a pawn shop or thrift shop.  I love my PS3 and still have a few games in my backlog I want to play, but I've mostly moved on. Too many great and cheap PS4 games tbh.

11 hours ago, lewy_your_pic said:

I’ve always been interested in the metal gear franchise but never got to play the 1-4. I played 5 loved the gameplay but never got to finish it. However, I always go back to YouTube videos of 1-4. Do you think it’ll be worth it to buy a ps3 to play these old games. I know there ain’t a way to play 1 from my knowledge so I’ll be getting 2-4 and peace Walker from the collection 

Not really much I can add to this that others haven’t already stated. But I’ll try and give some advice ?

Shop around, see what the lowest price is, £105? Is it the phat ps3 you’re wanting? That’s the only ps3 that’ll play the disc versions of 1-3 I think (can’t remember if the classics are on PS3 store? 

I wasn’t an early adopter with the ps3 I got the slim and then the super slim which I still have. I have a backlog (who doesn’t) but I like to dip back into it and clear up some trophies. 

There’s tons of good games on there, you also can’t get many decent pads nowadays. The pad  feels like trash to me now personally but you can plug in you ds4 and I think dualsense? 

possibly wait till new year when prices will drop from the christmas prices

Hell yes you should. My favorite console generation tbh (might be in the minority). If you’re wanting to get a brand new one you’re looking at $499 at the cheapest for a super slim version on eBay, but I don’t like the disc drive being exposed—makes it an easy dust magnet—so if you’re willing to hash out $599 or more, get a slim. And don’t buy a preowned PS3 from GameStop, but that should be a given.

12 minutes ago, shakie19 said:

Not really much I can add to this that others haven’t already stated. But I’ll try and give some advice 1f600.png

Shop around, see what the lowest price is, £105? Is it the phat ps3 you’re wanting? That’s the only ps3 that’ll play the disc versions of 1-3 I think (can’t remember if the classics are on PS3 store? 

I wasn’t an early adopter with the ps3 I got the slim and then the super slim which I still have. I have a backlog (who doesn’t) but I like to dip back into it and clear up some trophies. 

There’s tons of good games on there, you also can’t get many decent pads nowadays. The pad  feels like trash to me now personally but you can plug in you ds4 and I think dualsense? 

possibly wait till new year when prices will drop from the christmas prices

It’ll be the slim one with the HD collection and mgs 4. I do have a dualsense but didn’t you need a 3rd party accessory for it to work on ps3 

36 minutes ago, lewy_your_pic said:

It’ll be the slim one with the HD collection and mgs 4. I do have a dualsense but didn’t you need a 3rd party accessory for it to work on ps3 

Ahh forgot the Hd releases.

Regarding a 3rd party accessory, no you only need the usb-c cable it came with, then you can go into device setting on the ps3 and change it to wireless (you’d have to re-pair it to the ps5 to use it wirelessly with ps5) 

I’m not 100% sure what games you can use it for though

Edited by shakie19

22 minutes ago, lewy_your_pic said:

One final thing to add to this and sort of a final question is does the psn store still offer mgs 1 on ps3 ive been looking everywhere and can’t find any evidence to show you can still buy it ok psn 

You'd have to check the UK store, but I see it on the US store for 9.99

I still play my PS3 and I find myself enjoying it more than the PS4. A lot of care and attention was put into these games as companies still had to prove a point and leave their mark on the market, so the games are beautifully crafted and very enjoyable. While some ps3 games are being remastered for PS4 and PS5 a lot of them will never be and , unless PC gaming is an alternative, playing them on the PS3 is the best and only way. GTA 4, Red Dead Redemption 1, the Dead Space series, Splinter Cell Blacklist, etc. I think buying a PS3 is still worth doing especially as getting both the console and games is dirt cheap nowadays.

• Like 3

I'm literally going through my old MGS games on PS3 right now, and I'm gonna say yeah it's worth it. Try and find the MGS Legacy Collection if you can; it has both OG Metal Gears, MGS 1-4, Peace Walker, and the VR Missions. I have the HD Collection + 4 + MGS 1 off of PSN, but the Legacy Collection is the better package.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JoocyMan said:

I'm literally going through my old MGS games on PS3 right now, and I'm gonna say yeah it's worth it. Try and find the MGS Legacy Collection if you can; it has both OG Metal Gears, MGS 1-4, Peace Walker, and the VR Missions. I have the HD Collection + 4 + MGS 1 off of PSN, but the Legacy Collection is the better package.

I would’ve got the legacy collection but the codes are invalid now for mgs 1 and I don’t think I wanna risk spending more for a code that might not work where I worked out I can get it cheaper without the legacy collection. Also I’m not too bothered about the extras like I’m sure there’s a art book you get too. I have found one for £120 with all games apart from one and a ps3 

On 6.12.2020 at 1:38 PM, Reinachii- said:

Last year i made a thread "am I the only one who cant play ps3 anymore?"

Im thinking of making a new thread "Am I the only one who cant stop playing ps3?"

Everyone should still be getting ps3s. L

Metal gear solid 1-4 and peace walker 

God of war

Infamous

Ratchet and clank

Sly cooper

Lego games

Spider man games

Marvel games

Just some of the many reasons why you should get a ps3 as long as ps5 is not full backwardscompatible 

50 minutes ago, lewy_your_pic said:

I would’ve got the legacy collection but the codes are invalid now for mgs 1 and I don’t think I wanna risk spending more for a code that might not work where I worked out I can get it cheaper without the legacy collection. Also I’m not too bothered about the extras like I’m sure there’s a art book you get too. I have found one for £120 with all games apart from one and a ps3 

Mgs is about 10€ on the store

12£ maybe ?

• Like 1

On 12/6/2020 at 1:08 PM, lewy_your_pic said:

I’ve always been interested in the metal gear franchise but never got to play the 1-4. I played 5 loved the gameplay but never got to finish it. However, I always go back to YouTube videos of 1-4. Do you think it’ll be worth it to buy a ps3 to play these old games. I know there ain’t a way to play 1 from my knowledge so I’ll be getting 2-4 and peace Walker from the collection 

Wow, glad to see that I'm not the only one in that case :-)  I bought a PS3 last year for the Metal Gear series: it's definitely worth it, you should buy one. I enjoyed every moment of those games, every mission, every trophy, everything.. They're masterpieces. MGS 4 is still in my backlog but not for long!

• Like 1

If you skipped the PS3/Xbox 360 generation, then hell yes. Many physical games are so damn affordable that Ebay shipping costs will be more than what you pay for each game. This is coming from a very late adopter of both systems and who didn't play at all between 2002 to 2017. Heck, even Ico and Shadow of the Colossus HD is "new" to me.

If you want the latest thing and can afford it, the PS5 and new Xbox are waiting for you.

Edit: if you're used to ps4 or ps5 graphics, it might be worth staying away from a ps3. some might find it too "dated" looking.

Edited by cardcrusher29
see above
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, cardcrusher29 said:

If you skipped the PS3/Xbox 360 generation, then hell yes. Many physical games are so damn affordable that Ebay shipping costs will be more than what you pay for each game. This is coming from a very late adopter of both systems and who didn't play at all between 2002 to 2017. Heck, even Ico and Shadow of the Colossus HD is "new" to me.

If you want the latest thing and can afford it, the PS5 and new Xbox are waiting for you.

Edit: if you're used to ps4 or ps5 graphics, it might be worth staying away from a ps3. some might find it too "dated" looking.

I didn’t skip the generation I just skipped games like mgs as I had mostly a 360 and now realising I really wanna give mgs a go 

13 hours ago, lewy_your_pic said:

I didn’t skip the generation I just skipped games like mgs as I had mostly a 360 and now realising I really wanna give mgs a go 

Are there other PS3 games that weren't remastered/ rereleased on PS4/5 that you'd want to play? If not, a PS3 might not be worth pursuing. I can't believe how bad Konami is regarding hd remasters. Those Silent Hill ps2 games are a gold mine. It's not too much to ask for a remaster like the Sony PS2 first party games (Ico, Ratchet, GoW) that were published an hd during the PS3 era. I'd pay full MSRP for a Silent Hill remastered properly. 

Another thing to consider is space. Are you willing to allocate space on your a/v setup for a limited purpose machine? If you're selling the system after playing what interests you, it's not a problem. Nonetheless, consoles are getting bigger and your a/v setup might already be limited. 

I'm in the same boat as you. I want a Nintendo Switch mainly to play Mario Odyssey and the new Mario collection. For me, it's not worth the price to buy a console just for those four games.