Is it still worth getting a ps3?

lewy_your_pic

Considering the majority of games on my account are from the PS3 era and my account was created in May 2020. I would say its definitely worth purchasing a PS3 since there are a ton of quality games on the system and they're inexpensive. If you care about earning trophies I would suggest looking at a trophy guide to see if the online is still available. Hope this helped you make your decision.

• Like 1

Yeah, as a trophy collector myself I revisit my ps3 from time to time to knock out trophies I didn't earn when I was a kid, I recently popped gta4's plat and was surprised that the servers were still up. Planning on 100%ing Fallout new vages DLC's eventhouhg I didn't really like the game that much. Honestly if you aren't into trophy hunting I'd still recommend getting one, there's still plenty of games on there worth play. :^]

On 10/12/2020 at 2:12 AM, cardcrusher29 said:

Are there other PS3 games that weren't remastered/ rereleased on PS4/5 that you'd want to play? If not, a PS3 might not be worth pursuing. I can't believe how bad Konami is regarding hd remasters. Those Silent Hill ps2 games are a gold mine. It's not too much to ask for a remaster like the Sony PS2 first party games (Ico, Ratchet, GoW) that were published an hd during the PS3 era. I'd pay full MSRP for a Silent Hill remastered properly. 

Another thing to consider is space. Are you willing to allocate space on your a/v setup for a limited purpose machine? If you're selling the system after playing what interests you, it's not a problem. Nonetheless, consoles are getting bigger and your a/v setup might already be limited. 

I'm in the same boat as you. I want a Nintendo Switch mainly to play Mario Odyssey and the new Mario collection. For me, it's not worth the price to buy a console just for those four games.  

My setup is fine really, I’ve been thinking on going for quick and easy plats on ps3 as I won’t have that much time to sink my time into a very long ps3 plat but I have found a ps3 with all the mgs games for £105 all together 

14 hours ago, DocWong said:

Yeah, as a trophy collector myself I revisit my ps3 from time to time to knock out trophies I didn't earn when I was a kid, I recently popped gta4's plat and was surprised that the servers were still up. Planning on 100%ing Fallout new vages DLC's eventhouhg I didn't really like the game that much. Honestly if you aren't into trophy hunting I'd still recommend getting one, there's still plenty of games on there worth play. :^]

I am into getting trophies just ones that I think I can do really, I don’t really like doing super hard ones even tho that seems dumb. I was planning on doing some quick and easy plats tho like Lego games, etc 

There are some amazing PS3 games but I feel like it's kinda too late to start now. PS3 system is janky as hell and there are plenty of issues. I've recently had one that delayed a platinum trophy for me until I synced the trophies with the server ? Frustrated the hell out of me.

Absolutely yes, the PS3 has plenty of gems regardless of which genres you're into. Be mindful of switched off servers though in case you're a completionist.

There is a slight chance however that a used PS3 might be completely unusable for you, at least if you want to earn and sync trophies. There can only be 16 activated accounts on a PS3 at a time and if the console has gone through a few hands already you might be screwed. Some of us found this out the hard way back when Gran Turismo 5 came out. There was a trick to get all the old expensive cars without spending hours grinding money, you just had to create an account with the same birthyear as when the car came out. For instance if you wanted to get the 1967 Lamborghini Miura you had to enter 1967 as your birthyear when creating the account, along with the current day and month. Upon booting up the game you would be gifted a car from that year and then could send it to your main account. Some people went completely crazy with this and, when they were done, just deleted the accounts without realizing they actually had to deactivate them first. In the end some got an error message that they couldn't activate any further accounts on their PS3 due to the 16 limit. Unlike PS4 the PS3 does not automatically deactivate an account for you when you delete it and if you haven't got the login information anymore one of those 16 slots will be gone for good. Like I said it's very unlikely that this might happen to you but I feel like it will become a major issue for retro gamers many years down the line.

Edited by Baka_Marimo
  • Like 1

I still play my PS3 from time to time as I prefer to PlayStation Now which doesn’t allow PS3 games to be downloaded on PS4. So many great games await you on PS3.

anyone noticed that now, you won’t appear online when on PS3 since PS5

came out? Only to other players on PS3. Anyone on PS4 or PS5 sees your profile as offline

• Like 1

On 12/6/2020 at 4:08 AM, lewy_your_pic said:

I’ve always been interested in the metal gear franchise but never got to play the 1-4. I played 5 loved the gameplay but never got to finish it. However, I always go back to YouTube videos of 1-4. Do you think it’ll be worth it to buy a ps3 to play these old games. I know there ain’t a way to play 1 from my knowledge so I’ll be getting 2-4 and peace Walker from the collection 

I know this isn't exactly promoted around here but you could just get a PS3 and mod it to play pretty much anything you could want(assuming you have a laptop and internet connection). A modded PS3 pays for itself.

If for MGS specifically then yeah, go for it. I recently picked up the entire Series since I really wanted to play Metal Gear Rising: Revengance (still the only one I've played so far... F'ing LOVE that game) you can get MGS 1 & The VR Missions as PS1 Classics from the PS Store, HD Collection includes 2/3 & Peace Walker as you mentioned and MGS 4 is still ONLY on PS3 so you'll need one regardless if you wanna play through the entire Series... Also don't forget MGRR, again F'ing LOVE IT, the Soundtrack ALONE is worth the purchase ? ?

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 7:54 AM, lewy_your_pic said:

I’m only going for the metal gear games mostly because I can’t use psnow because of my connection 

How many mbs do you have? I have 30mbs and Im planning on buying 1 month.

On 6/12/2020 at 11:30 AM, Puppeter04 said:

See my account, it's only dedicated to PS3 even having a PS4, it's not saying enough? I still have +330 offline games to plat, so definitely worth it :D

The fun I have on a PS3... incomparable

Oh and I have three! One at my parents and two at my house. Everywhere I go, a PS3 is coming with me

Same here. PS3/VITA/PS4 and 90% of my games are PS3 xD

• Like 1

It's absolutely worth getting a PS3 if you don't already have one - there are so many, many great games available for it.  Just be mindful of the fact that many PS3 games no longer have online servers or functionality, and the ones that do still remain probably won't last much longer, so if you are concerned with a high trophy completion stat, then you may want to be careful about which games you do buy.

PC will always have the advantage of accessibility. The ONLY reason I still have a PS3 at this point is because a number of games I have on my backlog are not available on PS Now, and the PS3 and PS4 have completely different coding, which makes it impossible to play older PS3 games directly on the PS4.

I'm happy to hear PS4 games are largely playable on PS5, backwards compatibility to me is very important. Sure, the PS3 is an old console now, but as long as the games I play are enjoyable, I'm going to keep using it.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/12/2020 at 1:36 AM, Pottercito_ said:

How many mbs do you have? I have 30mbs and Im planning on buying 1 month.

Same here. PS3/VITA/PS4 and 90% of my games are PS3 xD

bit late haven’t been on this thread in a while but i normally get around 10mbs 

On 26/12/2020 at 11:54 PM, ImMagnetz said:

Definitely. Just picked up a refurbished one for £100 to replace my old one that had a faulty disc reader. There are a tonne of great games on PS3 that you can only play on PS3. There isn't any backwards compatibility from any other console. So a PS3 is needed to play them.

haven’t been on this thread in a while which is why for the long reply. still haven’t got one was planning to get it with CEX as i can get console and games for about £110 total 

32 minutes ago, lewy_your_pic said:

bit late haven’t been on this thread in a while but i normally get around 10mbs 

haven’t been on this thread in a while which is why for the long reply. still haven’t got one was planning to get it with CEX as i can get console and games for about £110 total 

I cant I paid 3 months and cant stream. I am in Colombia

Yes definitely. And this is from someone that has a PS4/PS5

theres so many games to play on ps3 and the advantage of buying one now is that the games are cheap as chips.

Just do your research when it comes to unobtainable plats or games with online as that’s where ps3 suffers.

There’s god of war games, metal gear solid, beat em ups a plenty also.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, part of me wants to pick up a PS3 if the PS5 still isn't better stocked in a few months just so that I can clear out some older exclusives, like I've been dying to play the Ratchet & Clank games. That being said, I know logically that it would be an immense waste of money considering my PS4 backlog is already massive.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Honestly, part of me wants to pick up a PS3 if the PS5 still isn't better stocked in a few months just so that I can clear out some older exclusives

I started feeling this same way about a month or two ago as I've started looking at all the titles that made it to PS3. My PS4 backlog is less than massive lucky for me so I have more freedom in that sense but there's also like 5 games I'm looking at getting soon (thanks again for passing Ikenfell along). It's a tough sell knowing I can and should keep myself busy on PS4.

• Like 2