Is it still worth getting a ps3?

lewy_your_pic

I just got one off Craigslist to play through all those old PS3 games I still had on my library. And there are still a handful of classics that didn't get re-released, and they're so cheap nowadays. If you can afford it, go for it.

Infamous 1 & 2

Metal Gear Solid 1-4

Demon's Souls (if you don't have a PS5 lol)

God of War 1, 2, and Ascension

Ico

Prince of Persia HD

All the original Ratchet & Clank games

Sly Cooper Collection

The PS3 not only predates the PSN store, it predates the entire concept of trophies on PSN. There are some real gems in the library you can probably get for like $5-10 each.

Edited by PhyrxianLibrarin
  • Like 2

I'm super late to this discussion, but you should get one if you have the space. £150 is way too much though. You should be able to get one for £40 with a controller at cash converters with a controller, or at a charity shop. (avoid CEX) 

Remember, a decent PS3 controller that isn't a cheap nasty copy will cost you as much as a PS4 controller, so get a controller bundled in.

Short answer is definitely.

Although almost every game can be played on more recent platforms in the form of a remaster or a PC title, they are generally more expensive than in PS3, and you need a decent PC to run them (which I don't; plus, you'd be missing out on them trophies, hehe). And some of the games that can only be played on a PS3 are well worth the investment. As for PS Now, it seems to be unreliable and more expensive in the long run.

I bought a used PS3 in August last yeat suffering from YLOD, but thankfully it only needed a NEC/TOKIN replacement. After I got it repaired I started digging through my incomplete backlog from my deceased PS3, and there's some games I always wanted to play but never got the chance to, so now I will make the most out of it. I'm having a blast with the console and am rarely playing in the PS4 lately.

Edited by Eblait
  • Like 2

Absolutely you should get one, PS3 not only the games are dirt cheap, it features free online as well, and also there is still a strong communitty over there.

The only downside would be most ps3 online games the servers are dead, so any games with online trophies, forget about the plat.

• Like 3

Yes, unfortunately there are no more sales on the Store for PS3 games, but there is still the quality content the previous generation had, if you're looking for some games, you can try picking them up on Amazon or Ebay, and, while many multiplayer games are dead, some are still alive, you can easily make a session for games such as Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto etc, not to mention, the many great offline games you can have, if you're a  trophy hunter,  there are also many trophies to get there.

If your interest however,  is to only play the Metal gear saga and then throw the ps3 away, then, well, consider playstation Now, it has the  HD Collection, 4, Rising, Ground Zero and Phantom Pain.

Best generation imo and I grew up in the SNES era and also loved the PS1 and the N64 so that should tell you a lot :) . The only downside to that console is that you don't have any sales in the PSN store anymore which means you have to rely on physical discs. Some are really cheap but the market is also growing in terms of retro gaming, so some prices for specific games went up a lot. But yes, in general the library belongs to the best ever with some of the best franchises ever made.

• Like 3

On 12/6/2020 at 6:04 AM, ChristSupremacy said:

PS Now is overrated anyway. I think it's not gonna last personally.

It’s been around since Jan. 2014  and had over 2 million subscribers last year. I think it’ll be around for a while longer. 

PS3 is definitely still worth having, I don’t care what year it is or what PS is out currently. There’s sooooo many games to play on it. I’ve only found a few so far that are hard to go back to. Two that I can think of at the moment Mass Effect 2 and MW3. They are just funky looking  games that I don’t think were meant for HDTV’s. 

If you look at my profile you’ll see I’ve definitely been going back to the old games. I finally got the platinum for Far Cry 3 a week or 2 ago. Only took 8 years and 2 months. Almost done with Hitman Absolution which will be another 8 year platinum. Funny enough I finally finished Telltale’s Walking Dead which is another 8 year platinum. I’m looking forward to finishing the Uncharted platinum. It’ll be an 11 year platinum.  ? 

It’s very satisfying to go back and finish platinums that old. I also still play my Vita that I’ve had since it came out. I still recommend buying one of them too.  

Edited by I-Reaped-U
  • Like 2

On 2/11/2021 at 7:45 PM, PhyrxianLibrarin said:

Infamous 1 & 2

Metal Gear Solid 1-4

Demon's Souls (if you don't have a PS5 lol)

God of War 1, 2, and Ascension

Ico

Prince of Persia HD

All the original Ratchet & Clank games

Sly Cooper Collection

The PS3 not only predates the PSN store, it predates the entire concept of trophies on PSN. There are some real gems in the library you can probably get for like $5-10 each.

Not only that, it's refreshing to play some games that are not peppered with microtransactions, online hubs, and games that don't crash, freeze or glitch. Just started the inFamous series...and theses games load faster than half the games in my PS4 library. I guess the "the don't make 'em like they used" maxim relates to games as well. May stick with the PS3 for awhile.

Edited by pathtoninja
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

, but there's a lot of bad indies as well, including the majority of Ratalaika games that seem to outright rip off flagship franchises like Mario and Kirby, both Nintendo property.

Think of that as imitation being the sincerest form of flattery. Nintendo games are so good that decades on, low level clones are being created for the newest consoles.

5 hours ago, pathtoninja said:

Not only that, it's refreshing to play some games that are not peppered with microtransactions, online hubs, and games that don't crash, freeze or glitch. Just started the inFamous series...and theses games load faster than half the games in my PS4 library. I guess the "the don't make 'em like they used" maxim relates to games as well. May stick with the PS3 for awhile.

I hate to that guy, but the Infamous franchise is first party property. Time and resources from Sony made those games look better and feel grander. Middle of the road third party games won't be optimized for the PS4 and wouldn't have the same scale of resource and time allocated to it.

I love the Infamous titles. The second title is the source of my first platinum and hope that the series continues on the PS5.

Edited by cardcrusher29
sentence error
  • Like 4

I love that I still have my PS3. I've got the 250gb slim, and have never had any issues with it, even after 11 years!

And having it still around is what got me more into trophy hunting because 1) I had all these PS3 games that I had never got the trophies for sitting on a shelf, and 2) when getting PS Plus on PS4, I now had a few extra games on PS3 that could be claimed from that transition period. (Like Thief, Dishonored, Serious Sam 3, which I still need to try and plat at some point lol).

But yeah on occassion I fire it up for a nostalgia rush on MW2, and also if I ever need to afk/rubberband a PS4 game, I just turn the PS3 on and play that instead :)

Edited by groomyboy

Lots of peeps say yes here and they are totally right. First off, Metal Gear Solid 4 is probably one of my favourite games ever. I got my PS5 in November but by a strange twist of fate I started playing Metal Gear on my PS3 again. Also Lightning Returns, ICO, Alice: Madness Returns, Asura’s Wrath, Killer is Dead and Resonance of Fate. Arguably you can still greatly enjoy PS3 era with PlayStation Now on a newer console but can’t really give a clear opinion on that since I’ve never been subbed to it. 

Also, I keep going back to MotorStorm games (mostly Apocalypse) on PS3 when friends are around. Usually racing games are not my genre but it is just so good and that alone worth to keep my black box on the shelves.

• Like 1