Is it still worth getting a ps3?

lewy_your_pic

11 hours ago, cardcrusher29 said:

I hate to that guy, but the Infamous franchise is first party property. Time and resources from Sony made those games look better and feel grander. Middle of the road third party games won't be optimized for the PS4 and wouldn't have the same scale of resource and time allocated to it.

You actually bring up a fair point. I have a few AA games on my shelf (Darksiders, Spec Ops: The Line, Anarchy Reigns, etc.) I could use to test this hypothesis on...and I want to play them anyways. ? Also, it could be that many of titles that I remember as being solid in performance were early in that generation of gaming that didn't fall into the habit of shipping out broken games. I remember Assassin's Creed 2 running quite well, while Assassin's Creed 3 had many problems.

11 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Games like Lollipop Chainsaw, Catherine and a plethora of PS2 era games that had more original ideas are seen as too risky for most big publishers, including 2K. I remember feeling that games of the PS2 era were far more original back when I used to rent titles from Blockbuster. Nowadays the only games I see that are actually original are low budget indie games that were backed on Kickstarter. There are some gems, like Pyre, Jotun, Stardew Valley and so forth, but there's a lot of bad indies as well, including the majority of Ratalaika games that seem to outright rip off flagship franchises like Mario and Kirby, both Nintendo property.

Along with games like movie tie-ins as well. Of course games like Captain America: Super Soldier and X-Men Origins: Wolverine don't hold a candle to the Batman Arkhams and Bayonetta, but I always found it kind of cool to find one of these games in a bargain bin or game that was shit on by reviews, but turned out to be somewhat fun. There just seems less of these on PS4. Who knows, maybe I'm just getting old. 

Edited by pathtoninja
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pathtoninja said:

You actually bring up a fair point. I have a few AA games on my shelf (Darksiders, Spec Ops: The Line, Anarchy Reigns, etc.) I could use to test this hypothesis on...and I want to play them anyways. ? Also, it could be that many of titles that I remember as being solid in performance were early in that generation of gaming that didn't fall into the habit of shipping out broken games. I remember Assassin's Creed 2 running quite well, while Assassin's Creed 3 had many problems.

I thought that both of those games played exceedingly well. I wish there were AA games like that on the PS4.

To be honest, I think I like AAA titles better on PS4, and indie titles better on PS4, but PS3 had a great selection of middle-of-the-road titles like the two I outlined.

• Like 2

Sure!

Contrary to how it might feel looking at the Ps Store, there are actually tons of great games on PS3 that were never ported over to PS4, and are well worth playing.

Just off the top of my head:

The Darkness 2

Syndicate

Portal 2

The Sabateur

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

3D Dot Game Heroes

Resitance

Driver San Francisco 

Remember Me

Dead Space

Alice: The Madness Returns

Singularity

and there’s tons of others. :) 

The only real impediment to playing PS3 now is the controller - after using the PS4 controller it feels way too small and cheap, but I believe that you can use a PS4 controller (albeit wired), so that isn’t a massive issue.

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me how PS3 looks on a 4K Tv?

The reason I ask is I upgraded from 1080p to a nice 4K TV in November and my Switch games looked very noticeably worse. 

It was bad enough that I sold my Switch and am hoping they announce a 4K Pro version soon (tonight?!). 

17 minutes ago, PixelHelix said:

The reason I ask is I upgraded from 1080p to a nice 4K TV in November and my Switch games looked very noticeably worse. 

It was bad enough that I sold my Switch and am hoping they announce a 4K Pro version soon (tonight?!). 

PS3 games look great on my 4K TV. Even though no games will support 4K, if you have a big enough display it doesn’t really matter that they’re running at 1080p (or 720p for your older titles). Only issues you may have are screen tearing for some titles that don’t support high frame rates, but that just comes with the territory. I went from a 42 inch 1080p display to a 55 inch 4K display and it’s pretty great. 

2 hours ago, HoorayForTyler said:

PS3 games look great on my 4K TV. Even though no games will support 4K, if you have a big enough display it doesn’t really matter that they’re running at 1080p (or 720p for your older titles). Only issues you may have are screen tearing for some titles that don’t support high frame rates, but that just comes with the territory. I went from a 42 inch 1080p display to a 55 inch 4K display and it’s pretty great. 

Good to know thanks.

My TV is also 55 inch, so hopefully it will look good on it.

7 hours ago, pathtoninja said:

Along with games like movie tie-ins as well. Of course games like Captain America: Super Soldier and X-Men Origins: Wolverine don't hold a candle to the Batman Arkhams and Bayonetta, but I always found it kind of cool to find one of these games in a bargain bin or game that was shit on by reviews, but turned out to be somewhat fun. There just seems less of these on PS4. Who knows, maybe I'm just getting old. 

Don’t forget games like Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. Dante’s Inferno is another middle of the road title. Splatterhouse, Shadows of the Damned, etc. 

Obviously nothing like Uncharted or God of War 3 of course, but still games worthwhile. 

6 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

I thought that both of those games played exceedingly well. I wish there were AA games like that on the PS4.

To be honest, I think I like AAA titles better on PS4, and indie titles better on PS4, but PS3 had a great selection of middle-of-the-road titles like the two I outlined.

Indies are definitely better on PS4. The PS3 was notoriously hard to code for. Super Meat Boy in fact released on Xbox 360 back in 2010. It wasn’t released for the PS4 until five years later, because then the PS3 was the current gen console. 

The lack of AA games kill me. Indies are nice as you of all trophy hunters know from experience. But I want something more than stuff that is low budget, preferably something like Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. 

6 hours ago, Stan Lee said:

I always thought the PS3/Xbox 360 generation was far more creatively diverse in terms of popular games than the PS4/XB1 days, particularly 2009- 2011/12-ish. Sure, you continue to see innovation in indie titles but ever since 2013 big publishers have wanted their developers to go all-in to make the games look as pretty as possible, appeal to the masses as much as possible by utterly sterilizing the games of what made them unique, blow millions on unnecessary advertising campaigns, load the games with jUsT cOsMeTiC microtransactions, crunch their workers to the point of mental breakdowns and mass resignations and then call the games disappointing failures when they only sell 4.9 million copies instead of 5 million and then shut down the studios, or not pay out bonuses when the Metacritic score is one point lower than they wanted it.

Article on Dead Space 2:

https://www.playstationtrophies.org/news/news-23528-dead-space-2-only-sold-4-million-copies-and-it-wasn-t-enough-says-ex-visceral-dev.html

EA and Activision started the bullshit. 2K Games and Ubisoft have basically followed suit. Rockstar Games only made one game in the last several years, and that was Red Dead Redemption 2. 

EA is well known for abusing their workers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/technology/2015/feb/18/crunched-games-industry-exploiting-workforce-ea-spouse-software

I have no respect for EA. Both of these articles are old, but I feel they explain much of what you’re covering.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 2

On 2/16/2021 at 6:25 PM, cardcrusher29 said:

Think of that as imitation being the sincerest form of flattery. Nintendo games are so good that decades on, low level clones are being created for the newest consoles.

Honestly, people are far too quick to call things rip offs these days - like any game similar to Smash in style is called a SSB rip off, even if it's functionally very different, as if Nintendo deserves to have a monopoly on the genre. Most games are directly inspired by other games. The FPS genre basically started with a ton of DOOM / Quake 'ripoffs'.

And I don't think that's a bad thing, that's just how human knowledge functions. We take existing things, pile them together, add a little bit of our secret sauce to it, and we have an 'original' creation. There's no reason people shouldn't be able to take an existing game's style, make it better, and release it as an original thing. All that would do is completely stifle innovation and creativity.

• Like 2

Hell Yes! I play my PS3 daily still and i got it since 2011, there are just so many great games and hidden gems on it.

I keep buying games for it since they are so cheap and there is so much to choose from, for example im on a shopping spree for the HD collections.

I agree with everyone here saying that there were much more AA/Hidden gems in the PS3 era and i love game like Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom.

Some games have shoehorned in online tho and while some servers are down and others are dead you can always find players with a boost session here.

Another downside is that the original controllers are getting rare and if theyre used alot they start pressing random buttons but that can be fixed if you have the patience to open them up and clean them, which is not hard to do and there are tons of videos showing how to do it.

So to answer the OP questions, If you can get a PS3 cheap you should buy it. The MGS games are a blast to play on PS3 and the story is great but you have so much other great games to choose from that it would be a waste not to try something else that has not been released or remastered on PS4.

• Like 3

On 2/17/2021 at 1:19 PM, PixelHelix said:

It depends how the game has been optimized, in some games the screen tearing is unbearable (hitman absolution), most of games looks good.

On topic, I still visit ps3, luckily ds4 works better now than before, and actually it feels better. Not getting use to dualsense yet.

32 minutes ago, NERVergoproxy said:

Yes, but good luck finding a legit controller. Could always use the DS4 I guess.

Some games like Max Payne 3 dont support DS4, but they are a minority.

there are dozens of PS3 games that I NEED to play, including MGS Collection, MGS4 (when I played there were no trophies), SH Collection, Dead Space, and many more. In addition, I have a distant dream of being able to finish all the ps plus games I purchased for PS3, but these are a lot accumulated in more than 5 years, it would be almost impossible lol ;_;

Edited by kevao97
Posts merged together

Your choice mate, but if I were you I'd save up and invest in a PS5. It's easily the best choice as a remake of MGS4 is highly likely. I bought a super slim in 2014 and own so many exclusives I haven't played yet. Bought a Pro in 2018 and haven't fired up the PS3 in years,  don't really feel like it either.

It's honestly very tough going back to it, everything is extremely sluggish. From entering the store to updating games to syncing trophies. Most games run at a native resolution of 720p. While nutorious for its exclusives, the PS3 had major issues with third party titles and is susceptible to freezing, crashing and frame rate drops.

Even MGS4 have some of these issues at 720p with an unstable framerate. A remake is inevitable, and will obviously look and run way better. I don't want you to do something you'll regret. That was my two cents.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2021 at 1:28 AM, NERVergoproxy said:

Yes, but good luck finding a legit controller. Could always use the DS4 I guess.

I use the Hori FPS pad for my PS3. It's an official controller and can also be used on PS4. It's not perfect, but it works better than the $20 knockoffs I have.

Edited by MidnightDragon

I've been considering a PS3 as well (there are some franchises I'm into that I'd love a physical copy of- but only exists for PS3. I sadly missed the gen). I'm a little iffy on purchasing one because I'm afraid of getting a console that no longer works or something. Does anyone know what a fair asking price would be for a PS3?

9 hours ago, JourneySilvers said:

I've been considering a PS3 as well (there are some franchises I'm into that I'd love a physical copy of- but only exists for PS3. I sadly missed the gen). I'm a little iffy on purchasing one because I'm afraid of getting a console that no longer works or something. Does anyone know what a fair asking price would be for a PS3?

If you buy it from a private person i would not pay over 60-70$ because you have no warranty.

I bought 2 years the slim for around 95$ by gamestop (maybe you can buy them online nowadays too) which included 1 year warranty because the retailer hast to include that.

Also last year I bought that white super slim wit 500GB and 2 controller and the condition was like "new" and payed 240$ by a retailer.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yes. There are hundreds and hundreds of games without remasters/rereleases that are worth playing, many of which fell through the cracks originally upon release and will most certainly never receive remaster-worthy status in the eyes of developers. Anyone saying it's not worth it in a general sense is being narrow-minded; if you're only interested in a handful of extremely popular games that will definitely receive remasters over time, then sure, I'd advise against it, but there are so many great games on the system that won't and diving into them is a blast.

With PS5 being backwards compatible, the PS3 and PS5 combo should be considered the must-have setup for Sony fans. 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 0:17 AM, Stan Lee said:

@AJ_Radio yup, Dead Space is exactly what I had in mind. One of that generation's best IPs destroyed by greed.

It still pains me what happened to the Dead Space series. It's rare for a series to get 3 entries and make it feel like there's still a lot of untapped potential. The original was such an unique experience, and even though it's closing in on being 13-years-old, it holds up incredibly well. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gotakibono said:

It still pains me what happened to the Dead Space series. It's rare for a series to get 3 entries and make it feel like there's still a lot of untapped potential. The original was such an unique experience, and even though it's closing in on being 13-years-old, it holds up incredibly well. 

It had 3 great entries....

...but then Dead Space 3 happened. 

I agree that we are long past due for a new entry though - it was a great concept and a rich premise, and deserves another game!

• Like 1