Is it still worth getting a ps3?

lewy_your_pic

I actually managed to get my boyfriend to let me hang onto his PS3, and I've been grabbing some of the games I was interested in but missed out on. I am LOVING Lollipop Chainsaw. Went into it blind and I'm really glad I did, its hilarious and dumb fun. 

I think its worth getting a PS3 if you're worried about missing out on specific games, because they may never get ported or remastered. 

• Like 4

I am playing my ps3 right now, probably won't ever use my ps4 again, but I also play all my ps4 games on my ps5. If you have no problem buying physical then it's never too late and always worth getting, even more so if you never had a ps4 or ps5. If you're big on digital then I recommend getting one sooner since the stores will most likely close soon (you can always redownload what you purchased). I actually just bought Portal 2 digital on ps3 for $20.

My ps3 psn store doesn't show prices or the download button, but when you browse a game, just press left and the empty space under the tile becomes selectable, press x and it'll take you to the checkout or download screen. Then you can redownload any previous purchases from your purchase history tab in the psn store.

If you want to trophy hunt then yes.

To play the handful of exclusives it still has, kinda yes.

To play games that have since been ported or were multi-plat with PC and/or Xbox, Hell no.

Like if you want to specifically unlock the platinum in Uncharted 1 on PS3, no way around it. If you wanted to play God of War Ascension, it's only available on PS3 but you could try playing it via emulation if you didn't care about the trophies. If you don't care about getting multiple plats or PS3 specific ones, then no reason to bother playing the PS3 versions of Uncharted as you could play the PS4 versions.

Honestly I think it is still, the ps3 came from a generation where most things were still on disc too. 

Beware though servers are rapidly closing in games and no one is sure how long trophy syncing will last.  But if you just want to play the games there's so many on disc, ill be replacing my ps3 if it breaks.

• Like 1

On 2021-03-19 at 11:08 AM, yuber1234 said:

Just know that the PS3 controller is noticeably less comfortable than the PS4's.

Interestingly, I only just recently discovered that it’s actually possible to use your Dualshock 4 controllers with the PS3. You simply plug it in and then search for Bluetooth devices to connect it. I don’t think it works with every game, but there are many that do.

• Like 3

If you were ever interested in a PS3 and you still want one I suggest buying one right now and buy up whatever games you want off the PS Store before they're gone for good.

Sony is basically trying to bury it completely at this point, as the PS App on your smartphone doesn't bother to track any PS3/Vita games people are playing.

Since the official announcement by Sony I have purchased Metal Gear Rising Revengeance, Duke Nukem Forever and Enslaved: Odyssey to the West with ALL DLC. Dante's Inferno doesn't have DLC listed on the NA PS Store so I'm going to have to figure out how to obtain it. I may have to completely skip Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 and both Star Wars: The Force Unleashed as I'm not going to have enough time to get around to them. Other games like Gran Turismo 6 automatically have the DLC in the version updates so I can hold off on that for a while.

Jet Set Radio is the last prominent SEGA Dreamcast era title I don't have yet so I definitely need to get on it. Knytt Underground and Shatter are two more PSN only titles that will be unavailable after the store closure. But after all this I think I'm done buying.

I already have both Sonic Adventures, Crazy Taxi, Final Fight Double Impact and Super Stardust HD. I have enough PSN games to last me a good while. Hopefully Sony isn't going to announce the end of online integration anytime soon.

Perhaps things would of been different if PS3 games were completely playable on PS4 and PS5 (hence backwards compatibility). But here we are scrambling to get a bunch of old games from over a generation ago that may be lost forever.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AJ_Radio said:

If you were ever interested in a PS3 and you still want one I suggest buying one right now and buy up whatever games you want off the PS Store before they're gone for good.

Sony is basically trying to bury it completely at this point, as the PS App on your smartphone doesn't bother to track any PS3/Vita games people are playing.

Since the official announcement by Sony I have purchased Metal Gear Rising Revengeance, Duke Nukem Forever and Enslaved: Odyssey to the West with ALL DLC. Dante's Inferno doesn't have DLC listed on the NA PS Store so I'm going to have to figure out how to obtain it. I may have to completely skip Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 and both Star Wars: The Force Unleashed as I'm not going to have enough time to get around to them. Other games like Gran Turismo 6 automatically have the DLC in the version updates so I can hold off on that for a while.

Jet Set Radio is the last prominent SEGA Dreamcast era title I don't have yet so I definitely need to get on it. Knytt Underground and Shatter are two more PSN only titles that will be unavailable after the store closure. But after all this I think I'm done buying.

I already have both Sonic Adventures, Crazy Taxi, Final Fight Double Impact and Super Stardust HD. I have enough PSN games to last me a good while. Hopefully Sony isn't going to announce the end of online integration anytime soon.

Perhaps things would of been different if PS3 games were completely playable on PS4 and PS5 (hence backwards compatibility). But here we are scrambling to get a bunch of old games from over a generation ago that may be lost forever.

Not sure if this is an option for you but the EU store has the dlc for Dante for 14.99 GBP called dlc bundle. It has st Lucia and dark forest which you would need for the 100%. You would just need to get the EU region of the game. In the store it’s 12.99 GBP. That’s likely cheaper than importing a physical disc of it.  

edit: just checked eBay cheapest EU physical copy is like $30. Likely better going digital. 

Edited by greenkaos1226

• 2 years later...

2024, I think it's still worth it to grab one if you have a ton of games you want to play. Theres a lot of great titles on the PS3 that hasnt gotten a remake or remaster yet. But I wouldnt pay too much for a Ps3 console. 

Ps store now longer do Ps3 sales so, probably have to stick to physicals, ebay etc. and some can be very expensive good games. 

• 3 weeks later...

I find it to be an exceptional, all in one media box, on top of being very backwards compatible with previous consoles(level of compat does depend on model mind you).

While The PS4/5 does have some cool stuff and games, many features that i care about like using physical cds, backwards compatible, ect, can't be done on newer consoles. some people don't care, but the small "unimportant" stuff like that does matter to ME.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 1:19 PM, PixelHelix said:

Can anyone tell me how PS3 looks on a 4K Tv?

The reason I ask is I upgraded from 1080p to a nice 4K TV in November and my Switch games looked very noticeably worse. 

It was bad enough that I sold my Switch and am hoping they announce a 4K Pro version soon (tonight?!). 

I know your post is 3 years old, but many PS3 games still look pretty damn good imo. Sure, the textures, effects, and stuff like that isn't as good as newer consoles(although for some older cross gen games, you have to look hard to tell a difference, and there isn't too much mind you), but they still hold up fairly well, all things considered. 

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, NkTSharpy said:

Anything I need to consider if I was to buy a PS3 now? 

If it has the original HDD, plan to replace it with at least an inexpensive SSD, as the HDD is pretty old and unpredictable at this age.