Sleeper Hit of 2020?

Lord_Bane999

I'm kinda surprised with the amount of people not playing this title especially with how much it was hyped up in development with its previous title of Gods and Monsters.

I'm guessing with Cyberpunk coming out this week it will steal away more attention from this game.

P.S. If you end up playing this for an easier time rebind L1 to Square and Square to L1. This will put your dodge on L1 and make combat immensely easier.

• Like 1

A friend of mine bought this game which he was more excited for then cyberpunk. Which is funny since we've been talking about cyberpunk for years now. For me I'm still holding off on it because cyberpunk is currently 4 days away and I don't want to start a game that looks quite lengthy (same reason with Valhalla) which I won't be able to finish in 4 days. (Demon's souls was 1st priority)

I like to play 1 game from start to finish, how ever long that may take and then move on to the next one :)

• Like 1

I'm enjoying it, but I think it's just like @communistwookiee says that it has a bad release window. The game feels a bit like a Saturday morning cartoon offshoot of an Assassin's Creed title. You can really tell the creative team who worked on Odyssey worked on this and you can also very much tell it is a Ubisoft game with it's usual map icons and slight spin on vantage points etc (you are the eagle-eyes now). It even has stealth assassination ('attack') mechanics, albeit a bit more downplayed here.

I think the trouble is, there is really nothing that glaringly different from an actual AC game here and it got released close to an actual AC game. I feel a bit like they intentionally chose to make it similar to draw that crowd in, but it's a bit silly to do it with this timing. A few months ago, this release would have been perfectly positioned and would have likely sold more.

I also think they could have sold a few more copies if they weren't trying to sell it for the same price as a similar game that's twice as long and at about the same time. A 29.99/39.99 RRP would have been way more appealing and way more in line with the content of the game.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop

On 17/12/2020 at 9:32 PM, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

So how good and fun is the game? i managed to grab the gold edition for ps5 for 59.99 on amazon today. pretty good deal so jumped at it, also how long is it? thanks

It's pretty good and really incentivized exploring. Basically it's kinda like taking Breath of the Wild and mashing it with Assassin's Creed. The combat is easy  to learn but provides decent challenge for the most part due to its reliance on dashing, countering and ho management. You start the game with a few chunks of health. Most enemy attacks will take one or two chunks in damage with stronger enemies almost able to one shot you completely. It creates this balance especially on harder difficulties where you gotta know when to pull back in a fight and when to go forward with an attack. (A little more resembling with Dark Souls in that sense.)

Graphically the game looks amazing and surprisingly pretty bug free for a Ubisoft title, there's already been a couple updates to it. The world at large looks amazing with verified detailed outside their version of trials every area has its own unique feel.

The story is kid friendly basically tasks you with gaining the power of the gods to save the world from a Titan. The story is narrated by Prometheus and Zeus who have some sharp comedic jabs at each other and thier banter is definitely a highlight I playing this. Coming deep from Greek Mythology there's alot to explore and hear. Even decking occasionally into the more adult things such as Zeus' promiscuity.

I find myself constantly looking at places in areas and being like "I wonder what's over there?" Undoing this usually rewarded either finding chests or some secret puzzle leading to rewards. Happily though most of the side explorations don't take long if maybe a half hour at most. Which is a refreshing pace from other open-world games that lead that expiration down to a four hour long trek that makes you feel unrewarded for what you get by the end.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, arcanehornet_ said:

The game looks good to be honest. But I can’t justify paying full price at all for something like this. Waiting for a deep sale with this one

it’s come down quite a bit in price already, many places selling it for £29.99 since about Wednesday 

1 hour ago, gazdavis11 said:

it’s come down quite a bit in price already, many places selling it for £29.99 since about Wednesday 

If this is the case, willing to bet we’ll see it on the next digital sale after the current one ends. Will for sure be grabbing it then! Was about to pay 60$ but after seeing this post I’ll wait and see if it drops here soon.

On 2020-12-20 at 4:47 AM, arcanehornet_ said:

Damn. This game must have gone under the radar if that’s the case

Not necessarily, ubisoft tends to put their games on sale quite often compared to other devs/publishers. Watch dogs legion and Ac Valhalla were both on sale like 2-3 weeks after release despite the latter having the biggest launch week for the series. 

Glad to see all the positive reception this game has been receiving, I'll be sure to grab it during the holiday sales.

Edited by BrandedBerserk

On 06/12/2020 at 11:19 PM, Lord_Bane999 said:

P.S. If you end up playing this for an easier time rebind L1 to Square and Square to L1. This will put your dodge on L1 and make combat immensely easier.

Great tip. The controls in general seem very backwards to me. I am jumping between this and Nioh to be fair so having R1/R2 as light and heavy attacks is just dreadful 

I have completely changed mine around to match the more ‘usua’l set up as best I could because the game seems to hate you changing it up to much 

Light attack is now square 

heavy is triangle

stealth/interact is circle 

spring/dodge is R2

and crouch is L3

Fantastic game so far though

• Like 1