Difficultly of Nioh 2?

SolidJD

Nioh early game is way harder than Nioh 2 early game. After that both games are equal difficulty-wise. 

I have played both solo, and my opinion is regarding the first playthrough. I did play the first two areas in Nioh 2 on Dream of the Strong, I dont think things changed too much. Harder, yes, but far from impossible. Maybe on the even higher difficulties the game start to be more unforgiving, but I ddint reach there and cant speak of. 

5 hours ago, KingTom95 said:

For various reasons i assumed there is no scalling but youre right there actually is.

Thanks for clarifying!

There is some scaling for expeditions mode, but for random encounters I believe that there isn't. So you're somewhat right.

5 hours ago, BestUsername---- said:

There is some scaling for expeditions mode, but for random encounters I believe that there isn't. So you're somewhat right.

no there is scaling  for random encounters and it can be quite a lot too if a person is way under your level.  Add in the upscaling of enemies for extra players, playing on demon can feel harder than dream of nioh in your own game.

Edited by steel6burgh

53 minutes ago, steel6burgh said:

no there is scaling  for random encounters and it can be quite a lot too if a person is way under your level.  Add in the upscaling of enemies for extra players, playing on demon can feel harder than dream of nioh in your own game.

Really? If there is scaling then there must not be much of it then at least compared to expeditions.  I know that 3 player expeditions turn enemies into a pack of 6 sponges.

But for random encounters I find that I can easily handle bosses even on Demon difficulty compared to just myself. Switching to random encounters on samurai difficulty I don't have problems 1 or 2 shotting enemies either. This is also in conjuction with enemies barley doing damage to me. So IDK, I'm just not seeing the scale for random encounters. But then again it could be because I have Wise gear on.

4 hours ago, BestUsername---- said:

Really? If there is scaling then there must not be much of it then at least compared to expeditions.  I know that 3 player expeditions turn enemies into a pack of 6 sponges.

But for random encounters I find that I can easily handle bosses even on Demon difficulty compared to just myself. Switching to random encounters on samurai difficulty I don't have problems 1 or 2 shotting enemies either. This is also in conjuction with enemies barley doing damage to me. So IDK, I'm just not seeing the scale for random encounters. But then again it could be because I have Wise gear on.

I mean we may have completely different builds and levels in the game so it may seem different for you than me.  I'm on focus levels,  750 plus.  I have gear 190 plus 110 which is almost max.  i'd say if i can play on the first mission and let the boss whack me with his club while i stand there for a few minutes without dying then I go into another persons game and he whacks me 3 times and i'm dead that is pretty scaled down.   In my own game I can handle Dream of Nioh without a lot of problems, if i play with one other person in dream of demon which is 2 difficulty lower, it can become a bit of a pain so I know without a doubt scaling is a thing plus as i mentioned earlier there are videos that go into detail on scaling on youtube..  I will say sometimes i play with people and I have a easy time on demon but I'm assuming they are leveled up and that is why.  To me it kind of goes against the point the whole reason for leveling up so much is to have a easier time and wreck the game but only solo.  I think if you got to my level of the game you'd notice it a lot more.  not really worth it tbh.

I have beaten the main game now + all basegame missions and for sure its a bit easier than nioh 1, i think especially something like burst counter is extremely generous from the devs cause even if you cant counter it you can use it as a fair warning to get away.

As well grabs are more noticeable by making enemies parts glow black and white before they grab you but i think this was also the case in nioh 1, not 100% sure tho.

Platinum isnt much of a problem(basically only collectibles and mystic arts left), cant say anything about 100% yet.

Update: Im done with the game now and the DLC is definitely harder than the base game on WotD, coop doesnt really matter anyways because you have to beat the hardest boss of each DLC in a solo mission anyways. However the first few missions on WotW seem easier to complete so you can actually get some ethernals and make your life a bit easier for the trophies.

I just think that someone who has struggle might have to grind out their build a bit more than someone who is more experienced in these games but eventually everyone will reach their goal.

I honestly think its the best game to get into souls like games cause as i said before the game is always challenging and rewarding but never really frustrating. 

Edited by KingTom95

• 11 months later...
On 09/03/2021 at 9:05 PM, Shmeefly said:

Nioh is made by the same people who did Ninja Gaiden so that speaks for itself, Nioh is the hardest of the souls genre by far, luckily they give us the option for coop, because if there was no coop in Nioh it would straight up be a 10/10 difficulty, and it would make Dark Souls/ Bloodborne look like a tutorial, tbh, the entire platinum of Nioh 2 is basically a tutorial, the game doesnt really start until way after us trophy heads pop the plat, even after 100% i was only just starting to work on a proper build, i didnt even see the higher difficulties past Demon or bother to venture into the depths, which is where it really gets hard, so in terms what Nioh actually offers as a game, the daunting 120h needed to 100% this is actually quite forgiving, so thankfully the trophies arent too harsh, although the ability to coop drops this from a 10/10 to a 6/10, you cant have your hand held all the way through, you will have to face a couple tough bosses solo on Demon so, youll have a challenge, but its not mental like Nioh1 with dual boss solo only missions, basically after Samurai/collectible playthrough you just need coop for speedrunning to unlock Demon and until you have a bunch of Demon tier gear, then your set for DLC, for those who only want plat, 4/10 difficulty, no grind or coop required

Soloing the whole game since I'm no longer a plus member and I'm at the very end of Dream of the Nioh, just a couple more sidequests until I unlock the final boss. After this I'm going to steamroll through the 3rd DLC on Dream of the Demon. Having fun with ethereal gear. Only hard part is the beginning of Dream of the Demon, it's brutal since it's such a difficulty spike. But after a little while I got used to it. Dream of the Wise was a joke and Dream of the Nioh is even more of a joke so far (let's see if Otakemaru will have his revenge on me after I mopped the floor with him on Dream of the Wise) since I got the Susano / Warrior of the East Graces

So far it's a 5/10 tops and there's no way it'll get harder. Hollow Knight glitchless is definitely harder btw.

As long as you have a build planned for each Ng+ it's going to be a lot more manageable. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After a rough start, everything went smoothly up to the end of the fourth region, I've also cleared almost every side mission beside a couple cheap duels in small environments, I'll do them later. I found very useful to always have accessories with amrita and kodama perception and an enemy core with enemies perception, this way you'll always find lots of useful stuff and will always be ready when approaching new environments.

• Like 1

Well, I spoke too soon, Maeda Toshiie is Nioh's BS a its finest, broken tracking, endless stamina and when down to 20% hp becomes unstoppable, unfortunately the kind of bs I no longer have too much time to spend on. I wanted to do it all alone but I'll have to summon an npc for this sob.

Ps. The one after that is even more of a bad joke, tons of hp with a set of attacks that are neverending strings of hits, like stamina isn't even a mechanic of the game, if it connects you are dead.

Edited by Brightblade76

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, cleared the base game, I have a handful of side missions to do but overall I'd say that, after a rough start, it's easier than the first game, I had to summon a couple blue graves npc though. I'll plat the game, then I'll play something else before doing the dlc, since I'll have to go all the way to Nioh difficulty for gear, to be able to do them solo, which seems quite tedious.

Edited by Brightblade76

• 5 months later...

Since this is a PS Plus game this month, I have a few questions before I pull the trigger on downloading it :):

1: What's the best build for a Nioh/Soulsbourne noob like myself who sucks at these types of games?

2: Can you summon NPCs during the DLC boss fights or do you have to tough it out solo?

3: Who are the cheapest enemies/bosses and how do you beat them without tearing your hair out?

4: Any general tips to reduce frustration?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HuntingFever said:

Since this is a PS Plus game this month, I have a few questions before I pull the trigger on downloading it :):

1: What's the best build for a Nioh/Soulsbourne noob like myself who sucks at these types of games?

2: Can you summon NPCs during the DLC boss fights or do you have to tough it out solo?

3: Who are the cheapest enemies/bosses and how do you beat them without tearing your hair out?

Assuming you are going for 100% and have the average understanding of movements, skills, guard, control of KI and usage of KI PULSE in battle. And some blacksmith knowledge.

For starters, there's no need to gather any certain builds for pieces effect until you are at NG++ (the third playthrough). Simply put on best the armors, in terms of defense values, you pick up and avoid getting agility C. For weapons, simply choose the one that has the highest attack values. You will find deciding which type of wpn more perplexing, and I would recommend ODACHI because of its att range and its break value.

If you really want to know some builds, I would say Yamanaka Yukimori (Seven Misfortunes, Eight Hardships) and Oda Nobunaga (National Duty) and Shibata Katsuie (The Bold and Boorish) are good and the ones I am currently using but weights are too heavy for starters. Since you will be constantly changing armors in your first and second playthrough, there's really no need to farm for those armors so early.

There are very few NPCs to summon but Nioh 2 introduces the new benevolent grave mechanic and I believe they are all over in the front of the boss rooms now since the game is popular again. No need to worry about this part.

Understanding of the new mechanics like Yokai Shift, Youkai abilities and mastery of KI PULSE reduce frustrations.?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, archangeltw_ said:

Assuming you are going for 100% and have the average understanding of movements, skills, guard, control of KI and usage of KI PULSE in battle. And some blacksmith knowledge.

For starters, there's no need to gather any certain builds for pieces effect until you are at NG++ (the third playthrough). Simply put on best the armors, in terms of defense values, you pick up and avoid getting agility C. For weapons, simply choose the one that has the highest attack values. You will find deciding which type of wpn more perplexing, and I would recommend ODACHI because of its att range and its break value.

If you really want to know some builds, I would say Yamanaka Yukimori (Seven Misfortunes, Eight Hardships) and Oda Nobunaga (National Duty) and Shibata Katsuie (The Bold and Boorish) are good and the ones I am currently using but weights are too heavy for starters. Since you will be constantly changing armors in your first and second playthrough, there's really no need to farm for those armors so early.

There are very few NPCs to summon but Nioh 2 introduces the new benevolent grave mechanic and I believe they are all over in the front of the boss rooms now since the game is popular again. No need to worry about this part.

Understanding of the new mechanics like Yokai Shift, Youkai abilities and mastery of KI PULSE reduce frustrations.1f600.png

Thank you for the info :).

2 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

None of the bosses really stand out too much until you get to a couple of them in the dlc.  Keep in mind you can over level and make the game significantly easier.  If something gives you trouble just use that approach.  I believe it was that last boss in the main game perhaps that can be killed pretty quickly for a ton of xp.  You can easily summon help there as people always seemed to be farming that boss fight.  It's been awhile but it is possible to make the hardest difficulty pretty easy solo.  Keep in mind that adding players raises the difficulty significantly.  If someone really strong joins you it sometimes will actually make the fight harder as they get nerfed down quite a bit.  for me I found it easier to do the game solo for the most part except farming the last boss which was easier with people because everyone seemed to have that fight down.  all and all the game is really good it was one of the games I played much longer than the platinum took me.

As far as making a build is concerned like the other person said it really isn't important in the beginning.  However the accessories are key.  Pick a elemental effect you want to use and make a build around it.  You want high saturation and extra damage to saturated enemies and stuff like that.  You should have a weapon that has a effect you like and build around it.   There is an accessory that gives you a extra set piece so i you have four set armor pieces and the accessory it's like you have 5 on.  It can be really beneficial so keep a look out for it.   Not necessary but in certain situations it really helps.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, steel6burgh said:

None of the bosses really stand out too much until you get to a couple of them in the dlc.  Keep in mind you can over level and make the game significantly easier.  If something gives you trouble just use that approach.  I believe it was that last boss in the main game perhaps that can be killed pretty quickly for a ton of xp.  You can easily summon help there as people always seemed to be farming that boss fight.  It's been awhile but it is possible to make the hardest difficulty pretty easy solo.  Keep in mind that adding players raises the difficulty significantly.  If someone really strong joins you it sometimes will actually make the fight harder as they get nerfed down quite a bit.  for me I found it easier to do the game solo for the most part except farming the last boss which was easier with people because everyone seemed to have that fight down.  all and all the game is really good it was one of the games I played much longer than the platinum took me.

As far as making a build is concerned like the other person said it really isn't important in the beginning.  However the accessories are key.  Pick a elemental effect you want to use and make a build around it.  You want high saturation and extra damage to saturated enemies and stuff like that.  You should have a weapon that has a effect you like and build around it.   There is an accessory that gives you a extra set piece so i you have four set armor pieces and the accessory it's like you have 5 on.  It can be really beneficial so keep a look out for it.   Not necessary but in certain situations it really helps.

Thank you for the info :). BTW, what is this "saturation" mechanic you mentioned?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

Thank you for the info :). BTW, what is this "saturation" mechanic you mentioned?

Saturation effects how quickly are efficiently the enemy becomes "drenched " or covered in whatever elemental effect you use on them.  So high saturation makes it so fire or water or poison buildup occurs faster.  Combine that with high damage against that elemental effect and that is how you become OP in Nioh 2.  You want to be finding accessories that have 2 of these effects each so you want them, if possible, to have either saturation for whatever elemental effect you are gearing towards, or higher damage toward whatever effect you're gearing towards, or both.  Some armor pieces, sets, or weapons also have damage or extra damage toward these elemental effects.  Also build your spells and stuff toward the elemental effect you are ramping up your damage in.  Also, if you're new to Nioh you may not realize there is a ninja art or whatever, can't remember what the spells are called actually, that gives you a 2nd chance if you die.  It is essential to unlock and equip.  There are stealth ones that make you invisible, ones that make you absorb more damage, and boost attack power. Familiraize yourself with these ninja scrolls early as they are essential and often times people don't realize the importance of them.   

Edited by steel6burgh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, steel6burgh said:

Saturation effects how quickly are efficiently the enemy becomes "drenched " or covered in whatever elemental effect you use on them.  So high saturation makes it so fire or water or poison buildup occurs faster.  Combine that with high damage against that elemental effect and that is how you become OP in Nioh 2.  You want to be finding accessories that have 2 of these effects each so you want them, if possible, to have either saturation for whatever elemental effect you are gearing towards, or higher damage toward whatever effect you're gearing towards, or both.  Some armor pieces, sets, or weapons also have damage or extra damage toward these elemental effects.  Also build your spells and stuff toward the elemental effect you are ramping up your damage in.  Also, if you're new to Nioh you may not realize there is a ninja art or whatever, can't remember what the spells are called actually, that gives you a 2nd chance if you die.  It is essential to unlock and equip.  There are stealth ones that make you invisible, ones that make you absorb more damage, and boost attack power. Familiraize yourself with these ninja scrolls early as they are essential and often times people don't realize the importance of them.   

Thank you for the tips :).