cris3f

Comprehensive list of twin stick and scrolling shooters for PS4 (and Vita and PS3)

65 posts in this topic

On 12/8/2020 at 6:50 AM, Spaz said:

Super Stardust HD was the first game to ever get a trophy list. Super Stardust Delta is the Vita exclusive, both made by Housemarque. Super Stardust Ultra on the PS4 is basically more of the same, although you need a PS VR to do the DLC.

These were dumb to miss, I have the PS4 one on the list. Both added.

On 12/8/2020 at 7:06 AM, Arcesius said:

Four games missing from the above list come spontaneously to mind

• Nuclear Throne - 2015
  • Neon Abyss - 2020
  • Fury Unleashed - 2020
  • I Hate Running Backwards - 2018

Some fantastic games among all the titles listed in this thread! :) 

Thanks added the 4 to the respective areas. Even had 2 in my buy list 😂

On 12/8/2020 at 7:19 AM, Void said:

are you counting delisted games too? If so then there was Voltron on PS3 forgot when it got delisted.

Also there is Warhammer 40k Kill Team not sure if it still available on PS3 or not though.

Yep, delisted too, I'll mention that. Voltron seems nice, pity. Warhammer 40,000: Kill Team Game was added too and I think other WH 40k titles for the PS4 also make sense in the other shooters section.

On 12/8/2020 at 7:32 AM, cckerberos said:

Don't forget the other Lara Croft game, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light - 2010.

Thanks added, I had put it on my psprices watch lists just 2 days ago.

On 12/8/2020 at 8:03 AM, Drag-On-Detritus said:

Great idea. Here are a few more to fill in the blanks a bit. There might be a few I'm forgetting but for now. PS4 unless noted otherwise:

Anger Force Reloaded
Arcade Classics Anniversary Collection
Boiling Bolt (might belong in the other category)
Darius Cozmic Collection: Arcade

Darius Cozmic Collection: Console 
Dangun Feveron
Freedom Finger
Ginga Force
Grood

Gundemoniums (Vita)

Ketsui (PS3 JPN only)
Mahou Daisakusen 
Rival Megagun
Rym 9000
Sisters Royale
Yukinko Daisenpuu ~Sayuki to Koyuki no Hie-Hie Daisoudou (ps2 on ps4 JPN store only, belongs in 'other')

I was going to mention Score Rush Extend but caught it in 'other'. Shouldn't it be in 'twin stick' or 'scrolling'?. Felt just like a regular vertical scrolling shooter with twin stick controls to me. Highly recommended in any case.

There's also a bunch of good 90s ones that've come out with the Arcade Archives series on ps4 & on ps3/vita digital there are tons of ps1 shmups including some of the more expensive titles like Gaia Seed & Harmful Park. No trophies with those ofc.

Wow large list. I'm avoiding Arcade Archives stuff in this list for now. That doesn't mean they won't be here later, but if so they'll be on a separate list.

Score Rush Extended  seemed difficult to classify, as some others. I don't have it yet, but seems to have a few things besides a shooter that's why it went for the "others" list. 

Arcade Classics Anniversary Collection I had doubts about adding it when I created the list, but reconsidered and it's in the scrolling shooters section. I added Boiling Bolt, but I have it disabled in psprices, have to check out why.

Unless I'm wrong Mahou Daisakusen is JP only.

And Yukinko Daisenpuu I can't find it here, although it's on TrueTrophies... EDIT Found it:

https://psnprofiles.com/100-club/8932-雪ん娘大旋風

Name is partial considering the PS2 name. It will be on the list.

On 12/9/2020 at 10:22 AM, YairGOW said:

I'd include Hotline Miami and Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number, as well.

Only have the first and hate it, was trying to forget it. 😁😋😂

Good music thought.

Edited by cris3f

Arcade Archives are basically 'trophy whore' titles, you get trophies for opening a fucking options menu and submitting your score to the rankings after only a couple minutes of play time.

I don't know a lot of them because they were basically well, 1980s/early 1990s era arcade games that were before my time, but a good number of them are shmups. Most of them however are so easy that most of anyone can do them, whereas Housemarque games and stuff like Ghost Blade HD actually try to challenge the player.

Filtering through over 200 Arcade Archive games is going to take a great deal of time, so if you don't feel like doing that you don't have to.

23 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Arcade Archives are basically 'trophy whore' titles, you get trophies for opening a fucking options menu and submitting your score to the rankings after only a couple minutes of play time.

I don't know a lot of them because they were basically well, 1980s/early 1990s era arcade games that were before my time, but a good number of them are shmups. Most of them however are so easy that most of anyone can do them, whereas Housemarque games and stuff like Ghost Blade HD actually try to challenge the player.

Filtering through over 200 Arcade Archive games is going to take a great deal of time, so if you don't feel like doing that you don't have to.

Yep I know, I want to avoid trophy whore games. Unfortunately most Arcade Archives are, as the trophies are beyond ridiculous. I just own one and I don't even know how I have it as I never bought it (Contra, even hate the game).

9 hours ago, Gefro-On-Defro said:

Good list. Can anyone tell me the games most similar to dead nation please? 

3 hours ago, Yoey_666 said:

I would say Alienation. They are both from Housemarque and despite the game mechanics are a lot faster in Alienation I had equally fun with it. Both are great games !

Dead Nation (the 3 versions) is, to me one of the 3 best games in this list by far (the others being Geometry Wars (the 3 versions too) and Assault Android Cactus). Alienation is the natural successor of Dead Nation and would be for me by far the best shooter on the PS4 if it did not have 3 problems: RNG in maps, awful RNG in weapons and being too easy (and a total joke if you play online as host and be joined by a high level player). But fantastic visuals, gameplay and sound. A pink vortex grenade is a blast.

May I also recommend 2 of the cyberpunk themed games from 10tons, Neon Chrome and Jydge. Neither is perfect but both very enjoyable games. Much easier than Dead Nation.

Ruiner is also a option but personally I think the game is meh... Wrote a reasonable dissertation about it on its forum, was very disappointed.

There's a lot of recommendations for Helldivers too, but until this day I never did get the game so... I did try.

Edited by cris3f

14 minutes ago, cris3f said:

Dead Nation (the 3 versions) is, to me one of the 3 best games in this list by far (the others being Geometry Wars (the 3 versions too) and Assault Android Cactus). Alienation is the natural successor of Dead Nation and would be for me by far the best shooter on the PS4 if it did not have 3 problems: RNG in maps, awful RNG in weapons and being too easy (and a total joke if you play online as host and be joined by a high level player). But fantastic visuals, gameplay and sound. A pink vortex grenade is a blast.

May I also recommend 2 of the cyberpunk themed games from 10tons, Neon Chrome and Jydge. Neither is perfect but both very enjoyable games. Much easier than Dead Nation.

Ruiner is also a option but personally I think the game is meh... Wrote a reasonable dissertation about it on its forum, was very disappointed.

There's a lot of recommendations for Helldivers too, but until this day I never did get the game so... I did try.

I hear people say Dead Nation is about right. The Super Stardust games I feel are a step above in difficulty, the Resogun DLC is actually pretty challenging, I still haven't gotten it done because some of it just frustrates me far too much.

Nex Machina and Matterfall I feel I want to try in the future. Sadly because they both did poorly, Housemarque dropped out of the arcade shmup genre and has moved on to other things.

Geometry Wars has those local co-op trophies which I don't even know if it's possible without having a buddy with you to help. That game might be a little out of my league. I'm far better at platformers than I am at shmups.

I have E.S.P, Sisters royale and Ketsui Deathtiny on their way to me now from Japan. Love a good shooter and have a Turbo Duo specifically just for this.

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

Welp, it could be worse! At least they’re not 5 minute platinums. Imagine a trophy guide for any one of them and then it gets some guide of the year award.

Arcade Game Series, however are a different story. 4 of them I think (galaga, pac-man, ms pac-man, dig-dug) and they do have platinums, though (at least the AGS: Galaga I played) it’s more of a “get-PSPlus-for-save-cloud-or-a-USB-in-order-to-platinum-or-else” than anything.

49 minutes ago, EqualityEarth said:

Arcade Game Series, however are a different story. 4 of them I think (galaga, pac-man, ms pac-man, dig-dug) and they do have platinums, though (at least the AGS: Galaga I played) it’s more of a “get-PSPlus-for-save-cloud-or-a-USB-in-order-to-platinum-or-else” than anything.

I wish we had more of these.

On 12/8/2020 at 8:06 AM, mcnichoj said:

PS3:

Burn Zombie Burn!

Ghostbusters Sanctum of Slime

Zombie Driver HD

PS4:

Ghostbusters (different game from Ghostbusters Remastered)

Rad

Tiny Troopers Joint Ops: Zombie Edition

Zombie Driver: Immortal Edition

PS4/PS3/Vita

Tiny Troopers Joint Ops

I added several, just skipped Zombie Drivers's as they're much more driving than shooting.

On 12/8/2020 at 2:07 PM, diskdocx said:

Tiny Troopers was so much fun, esp on Vita.

Another one to add is Freakout Calamity TV Show

I feel like I'm missing a bunch, but will have to go through my list.

Added

On 12/8/2020 at 3:13 PM, EqualityEarth said:

Btw I think RayStorm HD on PS3 (I could find in Hong Kong store) would go under scrolling shooter, and Fluster Cluck (PS4) under twin stick.

Added both. Fluster Cluck 😁😂😍

On 12/9/2020 at 9:55 AM, mcnichoj said:

Retro City Rampage

Party Hard

Contra: Rogue Corps

CrossCode

Riverbond

God's Trigger

Gensokyo Defenders

Next Up Hero

Blacksea Odyssey

Milanoir

Circuit Breakers

Worms Rumble has cross-buy with PS5 version.

You have Bleed 2 but you forgot Bleed 1.

Games of Glory for 'other' section.

I believe the "three" Sega Collection games contain SHMUPs/twin stick shooters.

Call of Duty Black Ops 2 has a hidden twin stick game.

Added several of the title you suggested but skipped some. Party Hard and Riverbond also interest me and are on my buy list but it's hard to consider them shooters.

Games of Glory and Worms Rumble are shooters but multiplayer only ones. If they're added they will be on a different section.

On 12/9/2020 at 9:50 PM, Lord_Bane999 said:

Thanks much for this list, already own majority of these but always on the lookout for new shooters to play.

Also I would add the SNK Anniversary Collection for PS4 side scrolling as it has several old school shooters in it. Plus anything from Arcade Archives series. Darius also has two compliations with Cozmic Arcade and Cozmic Console collection that both each feature several games over the series entire life.

Added.

12 hours ago, nrs1nrs1 said:

Does Titan Souls count?

I also have Titan Souls, and although it's a shoot the bosses only game it does have a strong shooting bias. Added.

12 hours ago, Vergil said:

Great work!

Also add Ikaruga. Besides Aleste Collection there is a new Aleste also releasing in 2021.

Natsuki Chronicles

Sorcer striker

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/6894-mahou-daisakusen

Ikaruga was really dumb to forget, bought it a few days ago. Natsuki Chronicles isn't out yet, hope it will be so added. Last one is japan only, added.

12 hours ago, Radikali said:

here is a few more twin stick shooters for ps4

8DAYS: Peace is our Business

Tango Fiesta

American Fugitive

for ps3

Zombie Apocalypse: Never Die Alone

8days is really esoteric... Just skipped American Fugitive, more GTA than shooter

12 hours ago, Gonzo7166 said:

Circuit Breakers  - PS4 Twin Stick shooter

Added

On 12/9/2020 at 10:41 AM, ElrayMickaelius said:

Great list,

Furi should be definitly in this list!

Yep, forgot it but will be in the next update

6 hours ago, cris3f said:

Voltron seems nice

it is pretty fun

I guess you can add Panzer Dragon Remake to other shooters

On 12/16/2020 at 3:04 AM, Spaz said:

I hear people say Dead Nation is about right. The Super Stardust games I feel are a step above in difficulty, the Resogun DLC is actually pretty challenging, I still haven't gotten it done because some of it just frustrates me far too much.

Nex Machina and Matterfall I feel I want to try in the future. Sadly because they both did poorly, Housemarque dropped out of the arcade shmup genre and has moved on to other things.

Geometry Wars has those local co-op trophies which I don't even know if it's possible without having a buddy with you to help. That game might be a little out of my league. I'm far better at platformers than I am at shmups.

Nex Machina is awesome but gets very frantic at the end, and to me from a absolutely genius idea like Robotron is they could have made much better options. Matterfall doesn't seem appealing to me, for now.

Housemarque shot themselves in the foot too much. Their games are too similar on everything. You can always expect a dash, and a few other standard things. And too much RNG in the latest games. But granted very talented team.

Don't miss Geometry Wars. It's too good to be missed. Just play it on a alt if you're a paranoid completionist (I'm not obviously). I fucking hate pacifism levels and tolerate barely king ones, but the shooting ones and bosses are absolutely awesome.

And buy Assault Android Cactus too, you won't regret it. Tough as nails too.

Edited by cris3f

On 16.12.2020 at 3:14 PM, cris3f said:

Rock boshers dx is a fun little game from the aqua kitty devs, way easier though.

You can add: graceful explosion machine ( great hidden gem) and zotrix ( dull and boring)

16 hours ago, Vergil said:

I guess you can add Panzer Dragon Remake to other shooters

I'm thinking about this one, as it seems to not fit. It's totally in 3D, at least seems so from what I've seen. This also means that After Burner Climax will probably be out too.

Or I'll add a small section with these, but problem is that others would fit too into the "genre" and they're out of my main objective which was pure top down and scrolling shooters.

But then I'll have to include this gem:

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/6590-gunducky-industries

Sadly delisted 😋😂

3 hours ago, Fleks_Mhteam said:

Rock boshers dx is a fun little game from the aqua kitty devs, way easier though.

You can add: graceful explosion machine ( great hidden gem) and zotrix ( dull and boring)

Thanks. Rock Boshers will definitely go to the other section. Zotrix I even have, had forgotten about it, probably to the same section still have not decided. Graceful Explosion Machine I have price alerts and did not even remember.

Curious how few PS3 games are available on these genres. Vita I was expecting, but the PS3 lists are miserably small. Unless I start to get a ton of games I never heard of.

18 hours ago, cris3f said:

And buy Assault Android Cactus too, you won't regret it. Tough as nails too.

How tough is this game really? I’m curious about it.

Looking at the platinum rarity, 2.47%, it shouldn’t be too hard.

But than I look at the trophyguide at .org which gives it a 9/10. And the guide is written by... ThanatosNinja. If he gives it a 9/10 this game must be extremely difficult.

Game looks awesome though. Added it to my wishlist. Too bad there is no online coop.

Edited by BB-BakkerJ

2 hours ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

But than I look at the trophyguide at .org which gives it a 9/10. And the guide is written by ThanatosNinja... If he gives it a 9/10 this game must be extremely difficult.

Game looks awesome though. Added it to my wishlist. Too bad there is no online coop.

The game is quite difficult, getting S+ ranks on every stage is the biggest roadblocker for the plat. While the first 4 chapters are fairly doable the last chapter and the last two stages in particular are very difficult to S+ rank especially the liquorice boss fight is a nightmare. You need to focus and keep your calm for minutes and not crawl under pressure while everything is messy and the screen filled with projectiles.

Edited by Fleks_Mhteam

5 hours ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

But than I look at the trophyguide at .org which gives it a 9/10. And the guide is written by... ThanatosNinja. If he gives it a 9/10 this game must be extremely difficult.

Yep, you summed it, just looking at who wrote the guide and the score gives you an idea... 😁😋

This is still below Ikaruga difficulty for instance, and yes the AAC guys got inspiration for the combo mechanics from it. The low rarity is probably because most people who played got hooked and tried to finish it. Also the game is more known on the PC and Switch (which have a more advanced version than the ones on PS4 and Xbox One) and people who buy it on the console probably know what they're up to and want to get it.

3 hours ago, Fleks_Mhteam said:

The game is quite difficult, getting S+ ranks on every stage is the biggest roadblocker for the plat. While the first 4 chapters are fairly doable the last chapter and the last two stages in particular are very difficult to S+ rank especially the liquorice boss fight is a nightmare. You need to focus and keep your calm for minutes and not crawl under pressure while everything is messy and the screen filled with projectiles.

There's a lot of luck involved in getting S+ rank. I would say 70% luck, 30 % skill. The only thing that is set are the timings when the next wave will drop, and the next wave (number and kind of enemies) is always the same. Also the next wave is triggered specifically by the death of specific enemies.

Remember you must maintain a combo chain of kills, and if within 2.5 seconds you don't kill another enemy combo is gone.

Enemies will spawn in different places depending on your position. Very few have set spawning places (mostly stationary turrets). There's levels in which the terrain is always evolving, at least 1 level with moving lasers that will swipe across the whole play area (not coming from enemies, but from the walls, this one was tough). Problem is that many times you get as an example 2 tough enemies in opposite areas of the map and you can't kill both within 2.5 secs of each other. Or there's a small enemy that hides across the map and you can't get there in 2.5 secs and he hides behind walls. You can expect to do a level 50-100 times to get the s+ rank, but luck will have a big role. Sometimes I try one level for 1 or 2 hours with zero luck (and probably skill), quit and get it first time when I try again in another day. Sometimes I repeat gain as I'm a paranoid perfectionist on some things and if I like the level I replay it for a better rank in the WW leaderboard 😋🤣, but this becomes  very luck dependent on enemy spawns and powerups.  Thankfully they're short, and there's a option to auto restart the level if the combo breaks.

The game mechanics are very simple, just 2 buttons with normal shots and a heavy shot with a timer. Just compare this to Ruiner... Usually simplicity is key in providing fantastic gameplay, same happens in Geometry Wars. Amazingly AAC is done with Unity, and I think it's the best game I've seen done on it.

Sound is crucial in the game. Turn it up and listen to what is happening. To me the best way to train for the game is getting Chain Gang, which will need one EX option in 2-1, Hive. Only other option is on Infinity Drive, as no regular level has 1000 enemies, and believe me it will be a LOT tougher on infinity drive. Once you can get the 1500ish combo in Hive and the trophy you're ready to start the s+ saga.

IMPORTANT I bought this for peanuts on the asian PSN store

Edited by cris3f

blazing chrome, valfaris and huntdown should be put somewhere. 3 of the best side scrolling shooters that have come out in the past couple years.

Edited by EightBitArtist

Couple more to add, that are a bit more obscure

Bentley's Hackpack for the PS3/Vita is pretty much half TSS, half scrolling shooter (and a lot of fun).

A few more somewhat obscure TSS games - Delta Squad, Phobos Vector Prime and Inferno 2

I believe both Demon's Tier+ and  Xenon Valkyrie+ are TSS (same dev as Riddled Corpses)

Habroxia and Habroxia 2 are also probably worth adding for scrolling shooters

On 12/20/2020 at 9:37 PM, MooseSketts said:

Not sure if you want to add this game:  Horizon Shift '81

Of course I do, what a interesting hidden gem.

On 12/20/2020 at 9:59 PM, EightBitArtist said:

blazing chrome, valfaris and huntdown should be put somewhere. 3 of the best side scrolling shooters that have come out in the past couple years.

I did not know Huntdown, but the other 2 yes. Valfaris seems amazing, and I thought of adding both to the list. The problem with these 3, like probably Bleed and Materfall (and others) is that they're more a platform, Metal Slug, Contra or whatever genre than pure shooters or don't fit nicely along the others. So I added them as it wasn't consistent that they were missing, but I'll be creating a separate list for these.

I would appreciate suggestions for the section name (not something dumb like other shooters 😋😂, which was the easiest that come to mind), and which other games should be going to that new area.

On 12/20/2020 at 10:34 PM, diskdocx said:

Couple more to add, that are a bit more obscure

Bentley's Hackpack for the PS3/Vita is pretty much half TSS, half scrolling shooter (and a lot of fun).

A few more somewhat obscure TSS games - Delta Squad, Phobos Vector Prime and Inferno 2

I believe both Demon's Tier+ and  Xenon Valkyrie+ are TSS (same dev as Riddled Corpses)

Habroxia and Habroxia 2 are also probably worth adding for scrolling shooters

Crap, Bentley's Hackpack is really obscure. I never even had heard about the game, but according to gamstat isn't all that obscure. But great find even going to buy it on my store so I can get the Vita version. Game was never on sale, I checked blog.playstation.com, should had come with matches if it was, as they were pretty exhaustive in the sales listings up to 2020ish.

The next 3, all added. Never heard of none of them. I have Xenon, but not Demon's, they're all developed / ported by CowCat. Xenon is a long shot to add, but Demon's yes it's now on the list.

Habroxia I considered but unfortunately this one seems more of a trophy whore title than all others in this list (correct if I'm wrong). 6 separate lists, all with 90ish % completion... I know the developer is a site member so sorry, but then lots of Ratalaika (and others) crap would be added too.

I did remove Afterburner Climax. Or perhaps I could add a new section a with 3D simple shooters, along with Panzer Dragon Remake, although I don't know if it justifies a list if there's only 2.

Aleste Collection trophy list has been added. All in English. Wonder if it means it will release in West

Thanks for this list. I'm a big shmup fan.

It's nice to see some Cave shooters coming over to the Sony side of things. Maybe one day we'll finally get to see DOJ BL and Mushihimesama Futari. The XBox 360 was a haven for vertical scrolling shooters, and I would love to see that status transfer to a Sony console.