1.5's revised update is now in approval, oversights amended to avoid possible save issues.

I've been looking at this game, I love card games.  After update how long do you think it will take to platinum?  I'm fine going 80 or so hours but I heard this game is grindy and anything over 100 hours usually gets boring unless it has the replayability of slay the spire.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, iGGTheEnd said:

I've been looking at this game, I love card games.  After update how long do you think it will take to platinum?  I'm fine going 80 or so hours but I heard this game is grindy and anything over 100 hours usually gets boring unless it has the replayability of slay the spire.

This Platinum is a time sink, I won't sugar coat it.
This game is fantastic though, if you're a fan of either card games or LOTR. But, for your own sanity, only aim for the Platinum if you truly want bragging rights. This update makes the Trophy more easy to get, but it's still a long process due to no Trophy Progress Tracker (yet)
Do not let that deter you though, this game is a blast even if you're getting trophies. I just warn you that it's a long grind if you do. I'd advise playing through the game fully, all the quests, and then deciding if you want to take up the grind.
But speaking of grind, this game has none except for less than half/quarter of the Hero Card Award Challenges. Those will be trackable with a future update alongside Campaign 4, but most of them you'll get without realizing. You won't be grinding card packs or anything like that, you can choose what cards to unlock when you want, using the Progression Currency you get from every quest in spades.
My playtime might make me biased, but I fully recommend getting this game.

2 minutes ago, Psychedout said:

Just hearing of this game for the first time, looks really cool. How big of an update is this? Is it a big overhaul where I should wait for it to be released to start playing?

The game as it is? It's a great game hampered by the Online Only aspect, so since that's going soon you'd still be able to play a fantastic game until the update, Then the game becomes even more amazing :P
Here's the new changes in a convenient image:

We have a Release Date! December 15th, Tuesday, for all US PSN Players!
EU/International Players will soon get their date.

Due to issues regarding Offline Mode that were uncovered by the EU Update, the US Update has been delayed until a release date confirmed this/next week.

Edited by Twiton
Update
  • Like 1

To update regarding the Release Date of the PS4 version, the EU Update that was sent has uncovered an issue regarding all PS4 Versions that would receive 1.5
"We're wrapping up a few issues with the offline mode conversion and it is also affecting the PS4 US version. We original hopped to launch the PS4 US version tomorrow along with Switch and Xbox. Expect an update within the next week or so as far as timing on the PS4 releases." - Antihero Studios

(The Offline aspect of 1.5 is the most important part. Getting it right needs to be a priority as it will also be critical to ensuring the progress from 1.4 carries over to 1.5)

Edited by Twiton
Personal note

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if you call it a whole story mode. 

You can choose at the moment between 3 small campaigns and a few side quests.

The mission of each campaign are connected. 

If you think about a way from Hobbingen to defeat Sauron, this is not what you will get. 

On 06/01/2021 at 6:44 AM, Twiton said:

To make sure peeps here know, 1.5's update has once again been sent to approval. Sony is the only platform that needs the 1.5 update now, so Sony's process will be what we're waiting for >_>

Can you please provide the general info at the top of your guide so I can decide if I want to buy this. 

Any missables, hours to plat, difficulty etc etc

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ac3dUd3- said:

Can you please provide the general info at the top of your guide so I can decide if I want to buy this. 

Not the OP, but I can give some qualitative answers at least. No real missables because you can replay any level at any time, and nothing too difficult, but several of the trophies are EXTREMELY grindy. For instance: "Deal 100k damage," "Defeat 5k spiders," "Defeat 5k orcs," etc.

Someone managed to do it in just over 3 months, so it's definitely not impossible, but it'll be a long journey for sure. Supposedly the new patch will at least provide a way to do it more enjoyably, but it won't be a quick plat unless they decide to tone some of those requirements down.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 9:28 PM, Ironloss said:

I just found out about this game now due to this post and it looks pretty interesting. Does this game have a story to follow or is it just like a series of card battles and objectives?

This game has story for each of the quests, as well as an overarching story that you can follow along with. Each Campaign and Encounter (Singular Quests with multiple locations) has a Lore Rooted story that fits with the LOTR series.
For sure a fun game, especially with all the effort made for atmosphere and mood.

On 1/7/2021 at 10:38 PM, Ac3dUd3- said:

No trophies you can miss. No real difficulty, thanks to adjustable difficulty choice, most of the challenge will come from you learning the game (Takes about an hour or two to fully understand the intricacies)
This game's Plat is a Moby Dick/White Whale. You will not get it if you're playing this for fun. Do not go into this for the Plat, you ought to choose after playing the 3 Campaigns if you want to get the Plat. Going in for the Plat is a bad move, I chose to try to get it and I'm still trying. This Plat can take over 200+ hours.

On 1/6/2021 at 7:54 AM, pewiha said:

I don't know if you call it a whole story mode. 

You can choose at the moment between 3 small campaigns and a few side quests.

The mission of each campaign are connected. 

If you think about a way from Hobbingen to defeat Sauron, this is not what you will get. 

To clarify:
5 Tutorial Quests
3 Encounters (Difficult Quests that are made to challenge you)
15 Story Quests
1 Radiant Randomizing Quest to test out decks and find Rare Bosses (Quick to complete, you can get a lot of trophy progress this way)
With 1.5 there will be a new quest called Fords of Isen, which has multiple locations and story taking place during Two Towers.

Edited by Twiton
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RNumbers said:

Any recent updates?

Based on the Discord, the update has been approved and is pending a Release Date.
They've also shown new cards that will be released in Q1 and are scaling back on their planned story content in future updates to focus on improving the user experience and game system.
This year will likely only see the release of Adventure 2 and several dozen cards/cosmetics. This is largely due to issues with getting updates approved for Console Platforms. They're not getting any priority from Consoles with their updates, so it has been a slow process despite the build being ready.
I can show some of the 1.5 content and even the Q1 content that will be coming after the update, if you'd like. The new content seeks to improve specific sphere/trait synergies that were unviable even in Narrative/Standard.
AHS itself, the studio developing the game, has been undergoing some restructuring due to the development limbo caused by this approval delay.

In regards to trophies, the Devs have been considering the idea of either tying achievements/trophies to in-game cosmetical unlocks so they can be incorporated into the future Reward Progress Tracker or, a community idea, a simple statistic menu in the Progress Tracker.