Fuga: Melodies of Steel 2 Hero Mode Tier List

For the newbies that want to figure out how to prioritize characters' Hero Modes for an easier time, and for series vets that want to debate and give me some ideas to try out before I finish the plat. I love that all of the abilities are useful in their own ways, but I do think some merit more attention than others. Thoughts?

S-Tier:

• Boron - Attacks breaking ALL weakness icons for a free delay and ALL shields with a single normal attack is absolutely god-tier. Plus, his normal attacks are already the highest in the game (minus Malt in Hero Mode) so Boron is basically stripping an enemy and stomping on its naked carcass in the same turn. Easily belongs in his own league. 

A-Tier:

• Sheena - Being able to act right away after using a skill is potentially five free attacks and/or heals in a row before the entire enemy team can even twitch. Dependent on SP availability but a huge boon both offensively and defensively. 
  • Mei - Let's double the speed of the already fastest character! Comparible to Sheena's Hero Mode, but with a better overall kit in my opinion (healing, piercing, and ally speed buffs FTW) and not dependent solely on skill usage, though enemies might actually be able to retaliate before she gets all five turns in if you're trying to sweep. 

B-Tier:

• Hack - Delaying enemies is huge, but when the potential is only for normal attacks, therefore only targetting single enemies, the utility just doesn't feel in the same league as Sheena and Mei. But against single bosses or elite enemies, I'd absolutely bump Hack's Hero Mode up to A-tier, maybe even S. 
  • Malt - Normal attacks dealing double damage with the third heaviest hitter in the game is just solid. I do tend to value speed > strength in Fuga, but against a shieldless enemy, Hero Mode Malt shreds. 
  • Vanilla - Acting right away after taking damage is a free ace, and the fact that it can be an attack, ability, or an item makes it even better. Biggest downside is obviously that it requires you to take damage before it's useful, and I generally prefer characters whose Hero Modes don't come with such a specific caveat to make use of. 
  • Britz - I love Britz being able to afflict shock. Again though, just harder for me to justify higher rankings for Hero Mode abilities that can only be applied to single enemies through normal attacks, especially when I tend to prioritize Britz for his SP attacks. 

C-Tier:

• Jin - Five rounds of no-cost skills could have been one of the best Hero Modes in the game, but it feels a little bit wasted on Jin who probably has my least favorite kit of the heavy hitters. Still, at least he can use Mine Field and hit multiple targets, or plant a bomb on a single enemy for big damage. Utility gradually decreases further as you level up and SP becomes more plentiful and raw attack power makes it less essential. 
  • Kyle - Best boi Kyle getting crits off for five rounds on any of his attacks when he can pick apart aerial enemies and shields with ease makes guaranteed crits a nice bonus, but not generally a game-breaking one. 
  • Socks - Normal attacks inflict status ailments. As usual, I have an issue with it just being normal attacks, and I dislike that the ailments are RNG. Could be a game-changer, could be mid. Fingers crossed. 

D-Tier:

• Chick - Doubling the effects of recovery skills is cute, but there are just so many ways to heal yourself in this game even on the dangerous paths that I rarely felt like it was essential for my healing spells to be twice as effective. 
  • Wappa - Sorry, Wappa. Not bad, but normal attacks inflicting weakness as an ailment just feels outpaced by every other offensive Hero Mode in the game. I've rarely felt the impact of Chick's Hero Mode, but I've never once been blown away by Wappa's. 

On 4/28/2024 at 4:59 AM, Unlucky_Thir13en said:

For the newbies that want to figure out how to prioritize characters' Hero Modes for an easier time, and for series vets that want to debate and give me some ideas to try out before I finish the plat. I love that all of the abilities are useful in their own ways, but I do think some merit more attention than others. Thoughts?

S-Tier:

• Boron - Attacks breaking ALL weakness icons for a free delay and ALL shields with a single normal attack is absolutely god-tier. Plus, his normal attacks are already the highest in the game (minus Malt in Hero Mode) so Boron is basically stripping an enemy and stomping on its naked carcass in the same turn. Easily belongs in his own league. 

A-Tier:

• Sheena - Being able to act right away after using a skill is potentially five free attacks and/or heals in a row before the entire enemy team can even twitch. Dependent on SP availability but a huge boon both offensively and defensively. 
  • Mei - Let's double the speed of the already fastest character! Comparible to Sheena's Hero Mode, but with a better overall kit in my opinion (healing, piercing, and ally speed buffs FTW) and not dependent solely on skill usage, though enemies might actually be able to retaliate before she gets all five turns in if you're trying to sweep. 

B-Tier:

• Hack - Delaying enemies is huge, but when the potential is only for normal attacks, therefore only targetting single enemies, the utility just doesn't feel in the same league as Sheena and Mei. But against single bosses or elite enemies, I'd absolutely bump Hack's Hero Mode up to A-tier, maybe even S. 
  • Malt - Normal attacks dealing double damage with the third heaviest hitter in the game is just solid. I do tend to value speed > strength in Fuga, but against a shieldless enemy, Hero Mode Malt shreds. 
  • Vanilla - Acting right away after taking damage is a free ace, and the fact that it can be an attack, ability, or an item makes it even better. Biggest downside is obviously that it requires you to take damage before it's useful, and I generally prefer characters whose Hero Modes don't come with such a specific caveat to make use of. 
  • Britz - I love Britz being able to afflict shock. Again though, just harder for me to justify higher rankings for Hero Mode abilities that can only be applied to single enemies through normal attacks, especially when I tend to prioritize Britz for his SP attacks. 

C-Tier:

• Jin - Five rounds of no-cost skills could have been one of the best Hero Modes in the game, but it feels a little bit wasted on Jin who probably has my least favorite kit of the heavy hitters. Still, at least he can use Mine Field and hit multiple targets, or plant a bomb on a single enemy for big damage. Utility gradually decreases further as you level up and SP becomes more plentiful and raw attack power makes it less essential. 
  • Kyle - Best boi Kyle getting crits off for five rounds on any of his attacks when he can pick apart aerial enemies and shields with ease makes guaranteed crits a nice bonus, but not generally a game-breaking one. 
  • Socks - Normal attacks inflict status ailments. As usual, I have an issue with it just being normal attacks, and I dislike that the ailments are RNG. Could be a game-changer, could be mid. Fingers crossed. 

D-Tier:

• Chick - Doubling the effects of recovery skills is cute, but there are just so many ways to heal yourself in this game even on the dangerous paths that I rarely felt like it was essential for my healing spells to be twice as effective. 
  • Wappa - Sorry, Wappa. Not bad, but normal attacks inflicting weakness as an ailment just feels outpaced by every other offensive Hero Mode in the game. I've rarely felt the impact of Chick's Hero Mode, but I've never once been blown away by Wappa's. 

Honestly, I get rid of D tier and just have A through C

everyone’s hero mode is extremely useful, especially if they can win status effects, for example:

Britz and Socks can just straight up chess most bosses (especially the final boss or that can’t be infected with status elements with special attacks) sure socks is RNG but you were landing a status effect anyway

chick can save up on SP especially if you’re extremely low on HP. And I know this is somewhat outlandish but weakness element should not be underestimated and the fact it’s guaranteed (it’s not the best status, but can never say no to taking less damage)

and on that note, I’m kind of surprised that people still use the FUGA 2 Forums

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Justinlh6400 said:

Honestly, I get rid of D tier and just have A through C

everyone’s hero mode is extremely useful, especially if they can win status effects, for example:

Britz and Socks can just straight up chess most bosses (especially the final boss or that can’t be infected with status elements with special attacks) sure socks is RNG but you were landing a status effect anyway

chick can save up on SP especially if you’re extremely low on HP. And I know this is somewhat outlandish but weakness element should not be underestimated and the fact it’s guaranteed (it’s not the best status, but can never say no to taking less damage)

and on that note, I’m kind of surprised that people still use the FUGA 2 Forums

My tiers are all pretty soft because you’re right - they are all useful. The worst Hero Mode ability is still a game changer. I’m mostly trying to qualify how circumstantial or broadly useful they are. I’ll try to pay more attention to Socks and Britz and see if I want to update my list by the time I’ve platted. 

I didn’t really expect anyone to respond or even find this thread useful. It just struck me as a fun topic that I wanted to discuss before I finish the game and forget everything 🤣 Especially if there ends up being a Fuga 3 and the characters retain similar Hero Modes - might be a useful starting point for me to come back to. Thanks for your thoughts! 

Edited by Unlucky_Thir13en