The Tragic Beauty of Ghost of Tsushima (Spoilers)

Peru2600

I managed to avoid spoilers all this time and I finally completed the game a few days ago.

Spoiler

There is an entire act devoted to saving your uncle and then you get the opportunity to fight alongside him. With each battle, your bond with him grows so strong that he even reveals his intentions to adopt you. But eventually you cannot agree with each other's methods. He wants to keep his traditions alive, but you know that doing so will get you killed. In the end, after defeating the Khan, comes one of the most impactful fights I've ever experienced.

It took me 3 tries to finally beat him because it felt like I had forgotten how to fight. Before this fight, every counter I performed, every time I swung my blade, every time I landed a critical hit, it was all so satisfying because I was attacking an enemy that was trying to steal my home. But now I had to use everything I had learned against my own blood. And then came the final decision...

Spoiler

In my opinion, there is no "good" or "bad" ending. By killing your uncle you kill your own family but you respect his dying wishes. He even calls you his son and instructs you to find him in the next life. And by choosing not to kill your own family, he assures you that the Ghost will be hunted.

I'm sure this topic has been talked about plenty of times, but please, share your insights with me.

Edited by DaivRules
Spoiler tags added
  • Like 2