An Introduction of Sorts

Duke_Ryle

I’ve been on psnprofiles now about 3 years, but only been on the forums about a month.  I thought I would introduce myself.

First off. I am an older gamer and have been playing video games since the mid 80s.  The first game I ever played was Super Mario Bros back on the NES at a friend’s house and the first game I really loved from that time was the original Final Fantasy.  But for the many years I have been playing games I have only really been into trophy hunting the last 2-3 years.  Because of this, I didn’t even know this site existed until then.

I first came upon psnprofiles back when I platinumed The Last of Us Remastered.  I was looking forward to the Last of Us Part II and wanted to replay the original, but didn’t want to go back to the PS3 version and so I bought a copy of the remastered version.  I got the platinum trophy for the original version back in 2015 (one of the very few platinums I had back then) and wanted to platinum the game again before I played part 2.  I looked online for guides, came upon this site and the rest is history.  I managed to 100% the remastered version the day before the Last of Us Part 2 came out thanks in part to this community.

I think part of the reason I decided to become a trophy hunter was due to the community.  Looking through the site, I saw how dedicated people could be when it came to games.  How much effort people put into mastering a game, creating a guide or just helping someone achieve a trophy was inspiring.  Of course, there is also the satisfying feeling of 100%ing a game. 

However, since I’m an older gamer and have a child, I have very little time each day to game so trophy hunting is slow going.  My goal is one platinum trophy per month.  

Some quick facts:

Favorite Type of Games: Narrative Corridors (Uncharted, The Last of Us, etc), JRPGs, Open-world RPG, Zoned/Semi-Open World RPGs, Horror

Least Favorite Type of Games: Fighting, Platformers

Favorite Type of Trophies: Difficulty-Specific.  I enjoy playing games on the hardest difficulty.  I find it a richer experience and enjoy the challenge.  When games require one playthrough I will normally pick the highest difficulty (there are some exceptions) and when they require more than one playthrough I will normally pick the hardest difficulty first and the other playthroughs will be on easy for a more relaxed experience.

Least Favorite Type of Trophies: Collectable, Speedrun.  I like collectables as a concept in games, it can add to the lore and immerse you into the world of the game, but I hate them being tied to trophies.  Developers can hide them so well and some collectable systems are not great.  That can sometimes mean replaying a 40- or 50-hour game because you missed one hard to see collectable in some little nook.  As for speedruns, I hate feeling like I have to rush through a game.  I don’t like time elements in games at all.  I like to take my time. 

Favorite Platinum in My Collection: Alien Isolation.  One of the first games I went back to when I started trophy hunting and trying to 100% the games on my list.  I’m surprised I did it.  I am not great at survival horror. 

Least Favorite Platinum in My Collection: Dynasty Warriors 7.  Omg the grind. I fell asleep on two separate occasions during the late game grind.  So boring.

Favorite Game: The Last of Us.

Favorite Game Series: Final Fantasy and Dragon Age.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this!

• Like 1