Issue with specific heat action activation

theNichibro

As title says, looking around for help with activating Wild's Dancers heat action "Essence of Cornering." It is the Wild Dancer "when the enemy is near a wall" heat action. I've been trying for roughly an hour just to get this specific heat action. Here's my situation: 

As you can see in this vid from me (ignore bad HDR lighting) (https://streamable.com/psn7sy) I grind my face against both the enemy and the wall with zero results. The heat actions that are popping up are just the "when an enemy attacks you" options, which is what happens at ~1:00 in the video.

After finding that nobody else had this issue at all I also looked up a showcase of all heat actions to see what they did, and I cannot seem to tell what was different. This video (https://youtu.be/v1xQ6R0wgBU?t=542) at ~9:04 shows the heat action in the original Ishin, and this video (https://youtu.be/QJFDXKRyypc?t=298) at ~4:58 shows the heat action in the remade version of Ishin. 

I even went so far as to go to the exact spot in the map in the latter vid for the purposes of testing, which is where my video is, and nothing. I have absolutely no idea what I'm missing with this. For reference, I have tried the "against the wall" heat actions for Swordsman, Gunman, and Brawler and all of them work flawlessly. I even while testing wanted to make sure this specific wall counted, so I swapped to Gunman and within 5 seconds activated the correct heat action. 

So far I've tried:

• Being right next to the enemy and right next to the wall
  • Being right next to the wall with the enemy slightly further down the wall
  • Having the enemy against the wall while Ryoma is slightly further away
  • Running into the enemy against the wall
  • Slowly walking into the enemy against the wall
  • Fast walking but not running into the enemy against the wall
  • Multiple different walls, in and out of battle dungeons just in case
  • Multiple different swords
  • Resetting the game when this started happening

Some other details just in case it means anything at all: PS5 platform, did not transfer from PS4, ~80h playtime, story completed normal/legend, current difficulty easy for cleaning up completion. 

I hesitate to just say "my game is bugged" but I frankly have zero idea what to do about this and if this is going to be the single thing stopping me from getting 100% when I have every other Yakuza game 100%ed then I don't know what I'll do. Any help at all would be appreciated, anything else I could try, any examples of doing it yourself I can try for, anything at all.

Thanks

I hate to ask the dumb/obvious question but the skill is unlocked, right? Can't think of much else. The only thing Google gave me was a few sites that listed all the heat moves and this very topic, so you definitely have an unusual problem. Essence of Cornering is only several orbs deep into Wild Dancer, so you could start a new game and unlock it fairly quickly just to see if it'll work there. I know that wouldn't help you in terms of completion, though.

You could also try limit-breaking Wild Dancer and getting the damage upgrade for Essence of Cornering, maybe that'd trigger/change something? Although then you'd be investing more time in a save file that may be impossible to get 100% completion on. I hope it works out for you dude, you're in a tough spot.

Edited by ReverendGodshyne

8 hours ago, theNichibro said:

As title says, looking around for help with activating Wild's Dancers heat action "Essence of Cornering." It is the Wild Dancer "when the enemy is near a wall" heat action. I've been trying for roughly an hour just to get this specific heat action. Here's my situation: 

As you can see in this vid from me (ignore bad HDR lighting) (https://streamable.com/psn7sy) I grind my face against both the enemy and the wall with zero results. The heat actions that are popping up are just the "when an enemy attacks you" options, which is what happens at ~1:00 in the video.

After finding that nobody else had this issue at all I also looked up a showcase of all heat actions to see what they did, and I cannot seem to tell what was different. This video (https://youtu.be/v1xQ6R0wgBU?t=542) at ~9:04 shows the heat action in the original Ishin, and this video (https://youtu.be/QJFDXKRyypc?t=298) at ~4:58 shows the heat action in the remade version of Ishin. 

I even went so far as to go to the exact spot in the map in the latter vid for the purposes of testing, which is where my video is, and nothing. I have absolutely no idea what I'm missing with this. For reference, I have tried the "against the wall" heat actions for Swordsman, Gunman, and Brawler and all of them work flawlessly. I even while testing wanted to make sure this specific wall counted, so I swapped to Gunman and within 5 seconds activated the correct heat action. 

So far I've tried:

• Being right next to the enemy and right next to the wall
  • Being right next to the wall with the enemy slightly further down the wall
  • Having the enemy against the wall while Ryoma is slightly further away
  • Running into the enemy against the wall
  • Slowly walking into the enemy against the wall
  • Fast walking but not running into the enemy against the wall
  • Multiple different walls, in and out of battle dungeons just in case
  • Multiple different swords
  • Resetting the game when this started happening

Some other details just in case it means anything at all: PS5 platform, did not transfer from PS4, ~80h playtime, story completed normal/legend, current difficulty easy for cleaning up completion. 

I hesitate to just say "my game is bugged" but I frankly have zero idea what to do about this and if this is going to be the single thing stopping me from getting 100% when I have every other Yakuza game 100%ed then I don't know what I'll do. Any help at all would be appreciated, anything else I could try, any examples of doing it yourself I can try for, anything at all.

Thanks

Since your having issues with that particular action

Go into settings.. Accessibility... Automatic heat actions.... Set it to on. It will automatically do this pretty quickly for you. 

If you're still having issues

Go back to accessibility and add action assistance "on" as well as simplify repeated presses "press and hold"

And if it's a special move and not a heat action... Turn auto special moves "on" 

Then just hold square down in all battles

Hope that helps, good luck

Edited by beaudashus

5 hours ago, ReverendGodshyne said:

I hate to ask the dumb/obvious question but the skill is unlocked, right? Can't think of much else. The only thing Google gave me was a few sites that listed all the heat moves and this very topic, so you definitely have an unusual problem. Essence of Cornering is only several orbs deep into Wild Dancer, so you could start a new game and unlock it fairly quickly just to see if it'll work there. I know that wouldn't help you in terms of completion, though.

You could also try limit-breaking Wild Dancer and getting the damage upgrade for Essence of Cornering, maybe that'd trigger/change something? Although then you'd be investing more time in a save file that may be impossible to get 100% completion on. I hope it works out for you dude, you're in a tough spot.

No worries about asking it anyway, I mean it's kinda a weird problem lol. I have every orb in WD except for the last two Spear orbs. I will try limit breaking through only having a few orbs left, thank you for that.

I actually started a NG+ to see, checked in the WD tutorial, the Izo fight, and in the castle escape, and had the same problem. I didn't start a pure NG yet because I didn't have time but that's one other option.

1 hour ago, beaudashus said:

Since your having issues with that particular action

Go into settings.. Accessibility... Automatic heat actions.... Set it to on. It will automatically do this pretty quickly for you. 

If you're still having issues

Go back to accessibility and add action assistance "on" as well as simplify repeated presses "press and hold"

And if it's a special move and not a heat action... Turn auto special moves "on" 

Then just hold square down in all battles

Hope that helps, good luck

I actually didn't think about trying accessibility things like that. I'll have to see if it works or if it just spams the "when enemy attacks you" heat actions. Thank you! Will try when I have a chance.

Edited by theNichibro

11 minutes ago, theNichibro said:

No worries about asking it anyway, I mean it's kinda a weird problem lol. I have every orb in WD except for the last two Spear orbs. I will try limit breaking through only having a few orbs left, thank you for that.

I actually started a NG+ to see, checked in the WD tutorial, the Izo fight, and in the castle escape, and had the same problem. I didn't start a pure NG yet because I didn't have time but that's one other option.

I actually didn't think about trying accessibility things like that. I'll have to see if it works or if it just spams the "when enemy attacks you" heat actions. Thank you! Will try when I have a chance.

It worked for me

Early in my game, I had those set that way and used wild dancer exclusively, it checked the box for me. 

I moved to gunman pretty quickly and turned that assistance stuff back off, haven't used wild dancer since. 

Moral is, it checked it for me, very early in game, while I was using all the help I could get until I fully understood the game

Anyway, let me know if it works. I think it will. 

15 hours ago, ReverendGodshyne said:

9 hours ago, beaudashus said:

It worked for me

Early in my game, I had those set that way and used wild dancer exclusively, it checked the box for me. 

I moved to gunman pretty quickly and turned that assistance stuff back off, haven't used wild dancer since. 

Moral is, it checked it for me, very early in game, while I was using all the help I could get until I fully understood the game

Anyway, let me know if it works. I think it will. 

Time to own up to my own stupidity and say no, I in fact did not have it unlocked.

Reason was that in the abilities menu, like where you go to a wheel but don't click it and hit "View Abilities" it's listed there, right at the beginning. I was checking this because I wanted a list of all the actions, and it shows on the sheet even when it's still a locked skill, for whatever reason.

Then on top of that, the three orbs I don't have with WD are the spear unlock and the two after them because I don't really care about heavy weapons that much. Essence of Cornering is after the spear unlock, but doesn't use the spear.

In my sleep-deprived brain I couldn't understand 1) why the abilities list showed it and 2) why would it be past the spear if it didn't use the spear? Just didn't make any sense to me at the time.

Now not sleep-deprived, I can see I was just a massive idiot. If you didn't drop the idea of limit breaking and resetting the skill grid, I wouldn't have looked again more closely at the 3 I had left, and would've probably tried a new game or something with the same problem before discovering the extremely simple solution much later.

So thanks for humoring me, time to crawl into a hole while I finish the completion list. 

It is weird that the ability list has everything but doesn't indicate whether or not the skill is unlocked. If I remember right, the older games would have a "???" instead.

In any case I'm happy it worked out for you, losing a big save file always feels bad. Good luck on the rest of the grind, it's a pretty rough one!

• Like 1