Scores Discussion for S-Rank Missions

Thought this would be a handy look-see for anyone attempting the missions in post-game to see what score to sim for, tops to get those scores etc.

Chip in as and when possible to give the scores, how you got them etc.

Mission 1-2: I believe S for this is anything over 140,000. People’s main issues with this is that the Spirit dies fast. Equip the blue bubble lens and for the first 2/3 attack chains use a fully charged light, followed instantly by a weak tap flash.

On the final attack when you know you’ll kill him do the fully charged flash, followed by the blue bubble and the Over Kill score should be high enough to breach 140k. 

Mission 3-1; I believe S for this is a finish time between 4:30/5:00, though could use some clarification.

This one is honestly pretty simple so long as you know the fatal frame chances for each of the three enemies. The masked woman will always use her Fatal Attack, but ignore her when using the most powerful films, instead group all three together and either Fatal Frame the Nurse or Little Girl, you should catch the other two ghosts in both of the chain shots for a Triple Kill. This becomes harder as it goes on but so long as you get 3 or 4 Triple Kills from good placement you should hit the S-rank:

Mission 4-1; I believe the S-Rank score here is anything over 250,00, can’t clarify however as I went from 163,000 and a B to 323,000 and the S on my second try. Your basic sim here is to use the strongest film combined with the ‘Crush Lens’. You’ll be attacking Sakuya twice. On the first attempt just get a full Fatal Chain and you’ll be sat at 75k-100k. When she attacks next, chain two normal Fatal frames and on the final shot try to be as close as possible and use ‘Crush’, it should absolutely decimate her and hugely boost your score, I got 180,000 points from the final Crush shot alone.

Mission 4-2; I got S-Rank with a score of 240,00. I believe the threshold is around 225,000. Simply hit him with a 3 chain Fatal Frame as with 4-1, then a 2 chain Fatal Frame followed by a ‘Crush’. Your score will shoot up, but not as much as with Ruka as Misaki has a weaker camera, pretty easy though his Fatal Chance’s are a lot harder to judge than Sayuka as he teleports a lot before an attack to throw you off.

Mission 4-3; The S-Rank for this is 70 kills, it’ll be pretty tight and you have to do this almost perfectly in a certain rhythm to get enough kills. As it starts immediately rush to the water and attempt to kill the woman, then the two men. Don’t hold the trigger, simply tap it, all of these ghosts die in one shot. Now the woman will spawn in, kill her, both men spawn in, kill them, woman again, kill her, all 3 spawn, kill them all. From here you’re repeating this pattern until the very end, if you mess up at all and aren’t starting this rhythm chain by 2:50 you likely won’t be able to hit the 70. 

Mission 5-1;  This is the first ‘timed challenge’. I got S-Rank doing it in 29 seconds, I believe 40 is the S-Rank threshold. You need to be Fatal Chaining the entire time or you’ll go over the limit. You’ll be using the Crush Lens, strongest film and two attack chains. As earlier you first chain will be 3 consecutive fatal frames taking you to around 80,000. Now wait for an opportunity to hit her again and this time use Crush on the first hit of the chain, if need be you can then chain two normal Fatal Chance shots but the Crush should finish her off.

Mission 5-2; I believe the kills threshold for an S here is 11, I got 12 on one go and 15 on the other and both were S. This is an easy one, make sure you have the Blue Bubble Lens equipped, when you see her hit her with a fully charged shot and then a bubble, it should kill her each time. Then just unequip the light and wait until she respawns and repeat. This is a very easy one if you have the flashlight maxed out.

Mission 6-1; Aim for around 55 kills here to ensure the S-Rank, it may be as low as 50 to get an S. this is easy with a fully upgraded flashlight and Blue Bubble Lens. Gather all 3 spirits together and unleash a charged shot, follow up with Bubble on one to instantly kill it, then instantly bubble the other two one after the other as they appear to take them out too. Rinse and repeat this tactic, going for short jogs as you run low on Moonlight. Fully maxed out it takes about 15 seconds for the flashlight to charge from Empty to Full. You probably won’t even take any damage here as it’s a pretty easy challenge using this method.

One big thing to note is that all of your upgrades carry over, camera upgrades, lens upgrades, equipment you have unlocked etc. so make sure to have Acquire equipped as this boosts points from each shot. Also the game takes your latest character state when starting a challenge. What this means is if you have an empty Spirit meter it’ll start empty here and vice versa if it’s full. If need be play a chapter as the characters and try to make sure you end it with the Spirit Meter full. Most Ruka and Misaki challenges require you to use the Lens that uses all 3-5 Spirit Stones to attack, it does major damage, especially if used as a Killing Blow in a chain and your points will shoot up.

I’ll update as I get more S-Ranks, though it’s a struggle. Be lovely if others would too :) 

Follow-up as I forgot some of my S-Ranks.

Mission 7-1; I killed Ayako 12 and 14 times for the S-Rank.  This one is pretty simple so long as you know when both of Ayako’s Fatal Chance’s are. She has two ‘modes’ walking and floating. 

Use the strongest film and at t the start quickly shake her off then face the centre of the room. String together a full fatal chain and she’ll die and your Crush Lens will be charged enough to use. On the second Fatal Chance simply sue Crush to instantly kill her. Rinse and repeat for 3 minutes. 

Mission 7-2; I believe the S-Rank threshold for this is around 280,000. I got 335,000. This one’s a doozy though it’s extremely annoying and you’re liable to die a few times due to the ghosts attacking in strange patterns or chaining off of one another and killing you. 

As the challenge starts immediately shake the boy off then turn to focus on the Nurse or Little Gurl, whoever is attacking first, Fatal Chain them; two shots of Type-07 and finish the chain with the Type-00 and you should kill the chosen spirit off and earn a huge points boost.

Now simply focus on another spirit, Fatal Chain them and on the third, final shot use Crush and they should again instantly die, earning you loads more points. Finally repeat this for the final spirit, Fatal Chain, two shots Type-07 and Burst.

You’ll know you’re doing well and are likely to hit the score limit if you manage to beat this one in under 50 seconds. 

• Like 1

EDIT 3;

Mission 9-2; This one will be tight, I believe the Time for a S is 1:05 and below. It’s pretty simple though, full charge shots trying to hit two or three of the spirits followed up by the Blue Bubble to take them all out. You have to take each Spirit out 3 times and you’ll have to come out of ‘Aim Mode’ in order to recharge for a few seconds. It’s tight and it’s difficult. I’d say this is one of the more difficult challenges alongside 1-1 and 1-2. 

Mission 9-3; No clue what the S-Rank threshold is here I’ve scored 455,000 and 491,000 and both were an S however.

A simple one here, though if the Sakuya’s decide to start dancing there is actually potential for them to time it out, and if not you’ll have to Shutter Chance which will stop you getting the S.

Start off by getting a Fatal Chain with the strongest film, with the final shot being a Crush. You should get huge points. I earned 280,000 in this chain. Now just repeat this for the second Sakuya, I earned an additional 210,000 here. 

10 minutes ago, DivineNocturne said:

I can't seem to hit 140k No.2 Choshiro I keep getting 135k any tips for that?

The only way I knew to do it to get my personal score was; Charged Hit, Tap Hit - Ghost appears again; Charged Hit, Tap Hit

Then on the third appearance; Charged Hit, Blue Bubble Lens to finish him off

make sure you have the ‘Acquire’ equipment equipped you find in Chapter 9 or 10. It increases overall points gain from photo’s and may help you earn that extra 5k.

5 minutes ago, Oberlin1694 said:

The only way I knew to do it to get my personal score was; Charged Hit, Tap Hit - Ghost appears again; Charged Hit, Tap Hit

Then on the third appearance; Charged Hit, Blue Bubble Lens to finish him off

make sure you have the ‘Acquire’ equipment equipped you find in Chapter 9 or 10. It increases overall points gain from photo’s and may help you earn that extra 5k.

I do actually have Acquire thankfully, but it seems S seems to want to keep eluding me with 140k+ it may also be "highest points" shot as well. 

10 minutes ago, DivineNocturne said:

I do actually have Acquire thankfully, but it seems S seems to want to keep eluding me with 140k+ it may also be "highest points" shot as well. 

I don’t believe the ‘highest points’ matters as much as your totals. All I can suggest is to keep trying and randomly you’ll end up with a huge scoring shot that doesn’t make any sense, though I believe how much of the ghost is within the flashlights ‘circle’ affects the score you get. 

I don’t quite get the scoring system as on some of the other challenges I’d do the same thing I’d done last time but score like 100-200k more.

I also think time might affect your score in a hidden way as the faster I’ve done a challenge, even Score-based the more likely I’ve been to get the S.

Honestly I found the first three levels of the challenges to be the hardest (Lv1-3), as they just didn’t flow right to me.

Ive managed to S every other challenge (Lv4-10) bar one single Level 7 challenge? Which I should easily be able to do I hope. But then I’m sat at 5/6 of the Lv1-3 challenges being left. They’re so painful 

Edited by Oberlin1694

6 minutes ago, Oberlin1694 said:

I don’t believe the ‘highest points’ matters as much as your totals. All I can suggest is to keep trying and randomly you’ll end up with a huge scoring shot that doesn’t make any sense, though I believe how much of the ghost is within the flashlights ‘circle’ affects the score you get. 

I don’t quite get the scoring system as on some of the other challenges I’d do the same thing I’d done last time but score like 100-200k more 

I thought maybe my highest rank was A but I just got S on Lady in black 1, so weirdly I'm unsure why 146k was not S 

1 hour ago, DivineNocturne said:

I can't seem to hit 140k No.2 Choshiro I keep getting 135k any tips for that?

So I reached 145k but still got A 34 seconds 145k and 47922 as highest picture taken

Huh that’s strange, my score was 151,717, so the S rank requirement must be 150,000 for it I guess

17 minutes ago, DivineNocturne said:

My S is 154k so it must be 150 if highest points doesn't affect the rank

I’m guessing so. It would be nice if they gave us a threshold for what you actually need to get an S-Rank as most of the time you’re just flying blind.

I got S-Rank my first go round at Ladies’ Night at 4:59, got an A with 5:04. So I’m assuming it’s 5:00 and under to S that one.

It’s my last one before I have full S-Ranks too. So it’s pretty frustrating as I’ve already done it once :( 

5 minutes ago, Oberlin1694 said:

I’m guessing so. It would be nice if they gave us a threshold for what you actually need to get an S-Rank as most of the time you’re just flying blind.

I got S-Rank my first go round at Ladies’ Night at 4:59, got an A with 5:04. So I’m assuming it’s 5:00 and under to S that one.

It’s my last one before I have full S-Ranks too. So it’s pretty frustrating as I’ve already done it once :( 

Oof I just xmbd out of rage and forgot this one doesn't auto save back to 0 S xD

2 minutes ago, DivineNocturne said:

Oof I just xmbd out of rage and forgot this one doesn't auto save back to 0 S xD

Aye, I made that mistake yesterday when I’d got the S in over half of them. Just absolutely smashed Ladies’ Night in 3:19 and got my last S-Rank.

So happy honestly, these missions alone, paired with Nightmare make this a harder Platinum than Maiden of Black Water.

Now to finish Nightmare, get my final wraiths, final 2 files and final doll and I have a Platinum :3

I think the overall game is far better than Maiden of Black Water but the trophy list itself is much more of a pain. There’s a lot of stuff that’s easy to miss and you’re looking at collecting like 150 files, then 233 items for the Ghost List and then 79 Hozuki Dolls, on top of having to finish the game a full 3 times for each difficulty, and finishing all 20 missions with an S-Rank.

Maiden also asked for full completion but outside of the Ghost List and Files that was it, no Mission Mode.

Im going to go out on a limb and say we’ll get a remaster of Fatal Frame 2: Deep Crimson Butterfly as that was a remaster of 2 for wii released after Mask of the Lunar Eclipse so should be easiest to actually update. That however also had Mission Mode and that’s the hardest game in the franchise other than 3.

Im so happy Koei Tecmo is finally bringing these games back though, the franchise is fantastic and leaving it to die on Nintendo consoles for over 10/15 years respectively was such a dis-service. Even worse as the games started out as PlayStation exclusives with the original Fatal Frame.

Tip; if you can get all 20 S-Ranks before starting Nightmare, or even Hard, do so. The Infinity Equipment makes the game a cakewalk of you have the higher tier film saved as Ruka and Misaki. Basically let’s you use Type-90 and Type-00 for the entire game.

Edited by Oberlin1694

13 minutes ago, Oberlin1694 said:

I think the overall game is far better than Maiden of Black Water but the trophy list itself is much more of a pain. There’s a lot of stuff that’s easy to miss and you’re looking at collecting like 150 files, then 233 items for the Ghost List and then 79 Hozuki Dolls, on top of having to finish the game a full 3 times for each difficulty, and finishing all 20 missions with an S-Rank.

Maiden also asked for full completion but outside of the Ghost List and Files that was it, no Mission Mode.

Im going to go out on a limb and say we’ll get a remaster of Fatal Frame 2: Deep Crimson Butterfly as that was a remaster of 2 for wii released after Mask of the Lunar Eclipse so should be easiest to actually update. That however also had Mission Mode and that’s the hardest game in the franchise other than 3.

Im so happy Koei Tecmo is finally bringing these games back though, the franchise is fantastic and leaving it to die on Nintendo consoles for over 10/15 years respectively was such a dis-service. Even worse as the games started out as PlayStation exclusives with the original Fatal Frame.

Tip; if you can get all 20 S-Ranks before starting Nightmare, or even Hard, do so. The Infinity Equipment makes the game a cakewalk of you have the higher tier film saved as Ruka and Misaki. Basically let’s you use Type-90 and Type-00 for the entire game.

Nice :) I only used type 07 for my normal run so I have spare, unfortunate that you need 3 runs to make it as easy as possible though Yea I've now completed 1,3,4,5 I had a cousin who bought 2 but we never got around to it :< very unfortunate 

Edited by DivineNocturne

5 minutes ago, DivineNocturne said:

Nice :) I only used type 07 for my normal run so I have spare, unfortunate that you need 3 runs to make it as easy as possible though Yea I've now completed 1,3,4,5 I had a cousin who bought 2 but we never got around to it :< easy fortunate 

Fatal Frame 2 is by far the best. The story is fantastic and the Normal Ending you get on a first playthrough is bloody heartbreaking. Creepiest game too.

For me it goes; 2, 4, 3, 1, 5.

Though 5 is still a solid 7/10 as none of the games are bad honestly

30 minutes ago, DivineNocturne said:

I just got all S and am now complete, I did update the ones that didn't hit S with requirements everything else is fine! Thanks for the guide.

Well done!

Did you manage to finish the Wraith List?

It’s destroying me, just had to reload 8 times to get a ghost to Blossom. Actually pain, and I’m playing it on Nightmare :’) 

On 21/03/2023 at 0:33 PM, Oberlin1694 said:

Well done!

Did you manage to finish the Wraith List?

It’s destroying me, just had to reload 8 times to get a ghost to Blossom. Actually pain, and I’m playing it on Nightmare :’) 

Yea I just got plat if you're playing over powered Choshiro just tap and explode 90% of them turned to blossom for me except 1 so only had to reload once :)

4 hours ago, DivineNocturne said:

Yea I just got plat if you're playing over powered Choshiro just tap and explode 90% of them turned to blossom for me except 1 so only had to reload once :)

I had to replay up to Chapter 6 to get my final Blossom’s as I missed 1 in Chapter 3 and 1 in Chapter 6 which sucked. Did it though