Current generation of game performances are settling in now

here4headshots

So we're probably at, or close to, half way through the lifecycle of the PS5 and it seems as though performance specs have settled into 2 main options - limited ray tracing/dynamic 4k/30fps, or no ray tracing/1440p/60fps. Of course there's going to be some variation of the specs I just stated depending on the game type, artistic style, budget, dev talent, multiplatform/exclusive etc.., but I am mostly referring to multiplatform story/adventure games. Think Jedi Survivor, Assassin's Creed, Plague Tale, GTA5 (story), Evil West, and such. Considering what was advertised by Sony (and Microsoft) leading up to the launch of the newest consoles? Are you satisfied? 

To answer my own question, I will say that I have been mostly satisfied with what I've seen and played, with maybe a small pinch of disappointment. For the first year and a half "next gen" was pretty much only PS4 games that already looked really pretty, and then got patched to give us 4k/60fps. Playing these patched games was great. It allowed me to continue some games I had left, and it gave me an excuse to try other PS4 games I never gave a chance. I really enjoyed my Days Gone playthrough on PS5, more that I would have imagined (so much I decided to platinum it). I remember reading in forums and on Twitter, that these patched games were only a small taste of what was possible when devs eventually left the old generation behind and focused on PS5/Xbox Series:S/X consoles. However, it took much longer for next-gen-only games to launch- devs kept making cross-gen games. When we eventually got current-gen-only games, they came with a lot of compromises. They were certainly not the "8k, 4k/120" the PS5 box advertised (still advertises). There are no PS5 games, exclusive or otherwise, that can do 8k, or a native 4k/120. That was a lofty goal from the start, and I'm ok with what we have now. 

My final question and thought is- with all these unfulfilled performance promises fresh in our memory, how do you think Sony will advertise their mid-gen refresh hardware, PS5 Pro? They still have 8k and 4k/120 on the base PS5 box. What are they going to promise comes with purchasing upgrades hardware? What makes them think devs will cooperate and optimize an experience they are visualizing for us, but rarely comes to fruition?