Keep getting disconnected and haven’t played a match because of it

DuplexGemini

Just started this game and have tried 5 times but have yet to play a single match because minutes after I select the matchmaking always gives me this message.

”Connection Failed”

”You have been disconnected from the PlayStation Network and the EA Servers. You will be unable to access any online features until you sign in. Please check your network connection and try again later. See EA.com/unable-to-connect for additional information”

I’ve tried different regional servers and the NA/Asia servers gave me hope as it loaded the character select but then more minutes pass and I get a disconnection again. 

Surely it can’t be shut down already and some players are still getting trophies relating to matches like level based ones that ofc have games currently running. No idea what I’m doing wrong or what I need to change for the game to be playable. Worth noting the only option is playlist is Co-Op Arena so I’m not sure if that has anything to do with it.

44 minutes ago, DuplexGemini said:

Just started this game and have tried 5 times but have yet to play a single match because minutes after I select the matchmaking always gives me this message.

”Connection Failed”

”You have been disconnected from the PlayStation Network and the EA Servers. You will be unable to access any online features until you sign in. Please check your network connection and try again later. See EA.com/unable-to-connect for additional information”

I’ve tried different regional servers and the NA/Asia servers gave me hope as it loaded the character select but then more minutes pass and I get a disconnection again. 

Surely it can’t be shut down already and some players are still getting trophies relating to matches like level based ones that ofc have games currently running. No idea what I’m doing wrong or what I need to change for the game to be playable. Worth noting the only option is playlist is Co-Op Arena so I’m not sure if that has anything to do with it.

One issue I remember having is that if I put the console to rest while rocket arena was running, it would keep failing with a connection error until I restarted the game. Doesn't quite sound the same as the issue you are having, but if you think you might have put the console to rest while the game was running I'd try restarting the game, if you haven't already. 

Edited by NeuralPotato

Update: I dug out my old PS4 Pro, tried it there.

I instantly connected to a game and completed a match without any issues.

Tried my PS5 again and it was the same result where it stays on the matchmaking screen and on the rare times it looks like it’s about to start a match, it softlocks by failing to load everything land eventually goes back to the menu with a disconnect.

Must be a backwards compatibility issue with the PS5 when playing it on a PS4 is giving me no problems and I can actually play the game. Don’t know if I’m the only one who’s having that or if it’s something that’s happening in general and needs to be noted in the trophy guide.

30 minutes ago, DuplexGemini said:

Update: I dug out my old PS4 Pro, tried it there.

I instantly connected to a game and completed a match without any issues.

Tried my PS5 again and it was the same result where it stays on the matchmaking screen and on the rare times it looks like it’s about to start a match, it softlocks by failing to load everything land eventually goes back to the menu with a disconnect.

Must be a backwards compatibility issue with the PS5 when playing it on a PS4 is giving me no problems and I can actually play the game. Don’t know if I’m the only one who’s having that or if it’s something that’s happening in general and needs to be noted in the trophy guide.

I ran the game on 2 different ps5s without problems.

Have you by any chance mucked around with your router settings, perhaps setting up port forwarding to the ps4 or something like that?

1 hour ago, NeuralPotato said:

I ran the game on 2 different ps5s without problems.

Have you by any chance mucked around with your router settings, perhaps setting up port forwarding to the ps4 or something like that?

Decided to try it again on PS5 as I wondered why I’m the only one having this, only this time instead of reconnecting my Wi-Fi, I forget the Wi-Fi connection and reconnect with it like I’m doing a brand new one (like entering the Wi Fi password) and to my surprise, the game actually worked??

Then I remembered that after going from GT Sport and setting my MTU settings to 750 instead of the default 1500, that must’ve been what’s caused it because when reconnecting to my Wi Fi all over again by forgetting the old settings, it’s reverted the MTU to the default 1500.

Turns out it wasn’t a backwards compatibility issue after all nor my router in isolation, it was that I altered the MTU settings over a month ago for another game and forgot about it as my other games have worked fine except for Rocket Arena.

Guess we can close this case now and this’ll be a good topic for anyone having connectivity issues with Rocket Arena haha