Master Ninja ranks on Master Ninja

Kispair

Looking for some clarification on how important it is to achieve the time bonuses for most chapters. I know it's impossible to achieve master ninja on chapter 1 without the time bonus, but for other chapters if I were to not get the time bonus but do really well in the chapter will I still hit master ninja rank? If the above question is true would this cause issues for chapter 19 since the game requires a certain clear time to get the time bonus, thus making master ninja rank impossible for that playthrough and forcing you back to a previous save or starting another playthrough from scratch. Hope what I'm asking makes enough sense to get a sensible answer 

Yes, if you kill everything in sight you will get MN, so don't worry about time bonus. The only chapter I had problems with is 16 (The Fiendish Awakening). I killed all in my path but didn't get MN rank. I replayed this chapter a couple of times with less score but better time, and still no MN. Truth is, 16 is the only chapter where you need to kill too many enemies, I literally returned to every location in Tairon and Aquaducts and killed enemies 5 times in each room, it took me 50 minutes and only then I got MN. 
                       So don't bother to run like hell for a time bonus, it gives you less score than killing enemies. Just don't skip ambushes (except those in portal on pleasure street, because it's true hell), and always kill doppelgangers, the worst one will be also in 16th chapter, but by that time you'll already have flawlessness and flame kunai, so he won't be a problem.

Edited by ozymandias1994

I agree with Ozy it's not as crucial as long as you're not dawdling. You can pad your score by trying to get as many UT strikes as possible during the timed encounters. Still, be mindful of the overall time. I think you're locked out of Master Ninja if you take more than 15hrs but not certain on that.

Thank you both for such speedy responses. I would really love some concrete evidence that master ninja rank is locked after passing the 15 hours mark. I personally went through very hard mode in just under 30 hours, taking my time farming essence and upgrades whenever needed also obviously not quitting out on deaths as that would be unnecessary. I'm sure it's very possible to complete in under the 15 hours mark but it would just take a huge amount of pressure off knowing that I can play more cautiously instead of trying to force a completion under 15 hours. Thank you for the information it definitely already helps knowing I can take my time in certain chapters if I feel I need it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kispair said:

Thank you both for such speedy responses. I would really love some concrete evidence that master ninja rank is locked after passing the 15 hours mark. I personally went through very hard mode in just under 30 hours, taking my time farming essence and upgrades whenever needed also obviously not quitting out on deaths as that would be unnecessary. I'm sure it's very possible to complete in under the 15 hours mark but it would just take a huge amount of pressure off knowing that I can play more cautiously instead of trying to force a completion under 15 hours. Thank you for the information it definitely already helps knowing I can take my time in certain chapters if I feel I need it 

15 hours is more than enough to complete MN walkthrough with a lot of mistakes and delays, trust me. I am not of a much skilled player, and with all my deaths and mistakes, I managed to clear MN in 11 hours. I had full stock of potions and bracelets before Emperor Palace, and completed 11/12 ambushes and killed every optional Doppelganger.
                               So, don't worry about time too much. If you feel that some part takes too many retries you can always download chekpoint from main menu, not continue screen.

Edited by ozymandias1994
  • Like 1