How to get 1000 Jumps the Intended Way

Jesus Christ, this is definitely the hardest trophy in the series if you do it legitimately (i.e. No remote play scripts). I'm a bit upset that exists, as it really skews the rarity of the trophy to be way higher than it should be. Xbox has no scripts, and the achievement equivalent is 0.1% rarity iirc.

I managed to get to 200 jumps within half an hour of practice, but mastering the 200-300 double Dutch pattern took another 10 hours!

Here are some of the tips I have if you want to tackle this challenge:

FIRST: Rely on TWO cues for the jumps - one audio and one visual.

What not a lot of people talk about is that the jump rope mini game is more of a rhythm game than anything. I can easily get to 200 jumps with my eyes closed, I've done it several times. "CLAP, CLAP, CLAP", time your button presses so that you press it at the same time you hear him land (I.E., do not REACT to the noise, you'll be hitting the button too late. Hit the button in rhythm so that you're pressing down at the same time the sound of his feet is coming through your headphones). The only issue is that you should also be looking at the screen during the rhythm transitions (20, 50, 100, 200, 300 jumps) so that you can easily adjust to the new rhythm. What should you be looking at on the screen? It's Vivi's feet.

I've seen a lot of tips online talking about pressing the jump button when you see the exclamation mark bubble, or when you see Vivi's hands in the air. They are wrong. Time the button so that you hit it the moment Vivi's feet touch the ground. Keep in mind, that this timing is actually slightly earlier than what I mentioned in the previous paragraph about pressing the button in time with Vivi's noises. That's not contradictory, timing the jumps with Vivi's feet VISUALLY will have you hitting the button towards the earlier parts of the timing window, and timing the jumps with when you hear Vivi's feet AUDIBLY will have you hitting the button towards the later parts of the timing window. Its up to you to make your own adjustments and tell if you're failing by hitting the buttons too early or too late and can then decide which cues you need to follow.

It was with these cues that I was able to pass the 200 - 300 range consistently.

You can also use this tip for the other jump ranges, but it's not as necessary as they have a simpler rhythm to keep. For those less rhythmically inclined, I'd suggest looking at Vivi's feet even when it changes back to the simple pattern from jump 300+.

SECOND: Turn off the music in the settings. It will just throw your rhythm off.

THIRD: In the accessibility settings on your PS4/PS5, remap the Down directional button to the square button. This way, you can alternate your jumps by going X, down, X, down, etc. This will not only help you keep your rhythm better by not using a single thumb at high speeds, but it also keeps your stamina up which is necessary since 1000 jumps can take almost 10 mins continuously.

FOURTH: If you really need every edge possible (and why wouldn't you since jump rope is heavily audio reliant), REMOVE ALL latency possible in your setup.

Most people already know about turning on Game Mode on your TV, but did you know that plugging your headphones into your dualshock or dualsense controller introduces audio lag? Or that even HDMI has latency when transferring the sound from console to TV? The lowest latency will be plugging in a USB DAC into your system and connecting your headphones to your console that way. They're cheap as hell on Amazon, and will come in handy for all your games.

My other tip is to think about controller latency. Strangely, plugging in your DS4 to your PS4 is actually LAGGIER than using it wirelessly! But, Bluetooth also inherently less consistent with how much latency will exist from moment to moment. Currently, the most latency free controller on the market is a DualSense Edge that is plugged in (ie wired). You can find quantitative data measuring all controller latency for modern controllers elsewhere on Reddit that affirms this.

FIFTH: If you REALLY need to practice those double Dutch patterns (200 - 300 jump range), I recommend getting an emulator and booting up FFIX. Map the save state save and save state load functions onto the shoulder buttons of your preferred controller, and make a save state when you're at jump 190 ish. This will let you easily reload at jump 190 until you get the hang of the pattern from 200 onwards so that you can take that experience back onto the modern platforms.

That's all I have for now, thank God I beat it before Rebirth came out, that was my goal.

• Like 4