Undead Nightmare - Gatling Gun Doctor

It's not tied to any trophies, but I read that you could obtain the High Power Pistol from this random encounter, so I'd like to be able to finish it.

But am I missing something, or is this really RNG heavy? My first encounter with him went well, but now I've seen him three times since then (now he's asking for two), and I've never been able to complete it since the undead don't spawn anywhere near him. You get a message not to stray too far if you go in one direction, but it only shows up once so when you go too far in another direction you fail the encounter.

Is there a way to lure undead to your location I'm forgetting about?  I was thinking of the undead bait, but it doesn't seem to spawn any, just affect the behavior of already spawned ones. I also tried hogtying one before he managed to shoot it, but it seems like it insta-dies anyways. All mentions of this I've seen online is how to make the guy spawn, not the undead, so I feel I mlght be missing something.

Overall, I feel that Undead Nightmare is a lot less polished and thought through than the main game. 

Edited by FishOfPain