Review and feedback

Posted (edited)

I just had a play through this myself.  For me the game is definitely worth a shot.  As of writing PSVR2 is lacking platforming titles outside the Moss games.  It does make me long for an Astro Bot Rescue Mission port as I haven’t played it.  I’m sure it’s far superior to anything approaching it and I fear it's forever platform locked...but yes, Ven VR is decently priced but even better when in the sale.

Flaws

1) issue identified with collectibles.  I found at least twice probably more that if you die then some collectibles are no longer always there to pick up again even though they haven't registered.  But you have to be paying attention to even notice.  To get them you have to restart the level and begin again.  So you sort of have to become good enough at a level to not die too much if at all to ensure you're keeping what is yours, etc. 

2) towards the end of the game in the last world my play-through started to bug-out more.  A level would begin but you're floating with nothing around you.  And it happened inside the ship after returning.  So closing the game and reopening would resolve. 

3) the final boss was janky AF for me.  Without spoiling there was a certain thing that wouldn't trigger again if you die in the level.  So, back to the ship and restart level.  Annoying for the time-trial as it's slower than just a level restart.  Also the "weapon" you get was not contacting with the "target" to free your character too often even when a hit was 100% legitimate. 

4) finally no platinum trophy which I feel was deserved in this game.  You will likely die and retry a good few times in a decent few spots, and it can become really annoying in a couple of time-trial parts.  Not really a deal breaker though (for me).

Good

1) pretty dazzling visually.  It ran really smoothly too and looked colourful. 

2) had a nice charm about it which is what I’d look for in these types of games. 

3) varied levels, enemies and a couple of cool bosses

4) a decent challenge.  Some have called it easy, others hard.  For me it falls somewhere in the middle.  A couple of the time-trials were definitely hard because it's easy to screw up by a mis-jump, getting hit, or just your own poor timing.  All time-trials are this way but some are definitely easier than others to mess up in.  If you don't screw up you're guaranteed a gold time though as it's a very lenient timer.  The levels themselves are all easy when you know them, but because it's also easy to screw up in I raise its difficulty to somewhere mid-scale.

Anyway just a few mentions.  It's a good but flawed game... mediocre? For me I'll just go with "good" and "don't ignore if you enjoy platforming games".

Edited by Virtua_Vince