Nintendo Re-Elects Iwata As 'Mario Kart 8' Moves 2M Units

Lady Lilith

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/06/27/nintendo-re-elects-iwata-as-mario-kart-8-moves-2m-units/

Nintendo re-elected president Satoru Iwata today at the company’s 74th Annual Shareholder’s Meeting in Japan.

Falling popularity numbers and concerns over Iwata’s health raised concerns that Iwata would not be re-elected, something analysts like Micahel Pachter have been hoping for.

Iwata missed E3 this year due to health concerns. Recovery from a recent surgery kept the Nintendo president from attending the Shareholder’s Meeting as well.

“I have no choice but to miss the company’s very important activity, the Annual General Meeting of Shareholders, to be held this month. As the president of the company, I regret that I cannot attend the meeting,” Iwata wrote via email prior to the meeting,according to GamesIndustry.biz.

“However, I understand that I have to prioritise my medical treatment and to recover as soon as possible so that I will again be able to do my best to help the company to grow. I hope that you understand.”

Mario-KArt-8.jpgAccording to IGN, Iwata’s popularity amongst shareholders fell from a high in 2011 of 92.9 percent to just 77.3 percent in 2013.

While Nintendo’s Wii console dominated the last generation of video game systems, the Wii U has failed to make waves with consumers, leading to some of Nintendo’s worst financial reports in decades.

The Wii console has sold over 100 million units to date, while the Wii U has sold just over 6 million since its launch in late 2012.

However, not all is doom and gloom at Nintendo.

The 3DS handheld console was the best-selling system of 2013.

And now Nintendo is reporting that Mario Kart 8 has sold 2 million units globally in under a month. That’s an impressive figure for any game, but especially for a system with such sluggish sales.

The strong sales for Mario Kart 8, along with anticipation for the upcoming Super Smash Bros. could point to a Wii U revival.

Read my review of the game here.

It'd be nice if this really was a Wii U revival.  I do really like my Wii U, but it doesn't get nearly enough games.  They deserve better than what they get, aside from them making some stupid choices.