Story progression question (no spoilers)

Valkirye22

Hi, I just wanted to check having read that the sole point determining the ending is near the point-of-no-return at the very end of story,

as for everything else can someone please confirm or let me know how it works (no spoilers) - can you progress a certain path/story and reach the ending having only access to that particular outcome or do they lock out at some point so you also need to complete the rest?

I'm the 99.99% done on first playthrough kind of guy so I'm just careful about progressing much of the stories too far in case it forces me down a particular path early (there's one instance with the VDB that has me worried atm)

tl;dr does the story unfold so that you finish up all character paths/stories and then have access to the final part/mission or is it possible to finish a certain path and jump into endgame part by accident? I'd really like to finish up everything before going over the PONR and choose and pick what I do there depending on what individual stories that impact it were about.