PS4 - Corrupted "video clip" files when copied to USB

cris3f

I've been having this issue for ages. Some video files when copied from the PS4 via any USB storage become corrupted and only play until half or so. I had tried a gazillion things with no luck as I though the issue was on the USB media or the PC (Windows 10). This would mainly happen in bigger files.

By accident I found the issue and the solution. The problem is in the PS4 system. When it saves the capture file, it does not close properly the file at the end, so any program or utility that will do any checks will dismiss part of the file as corrupt. This affects mostly big files, so 15 minutes or near captures will surely have this issue. All the ones I have with 550MB+ never transferred correctly.

The solution is to before copying the files edit them with trim. Remove 1 seconde from start or finish, then save to a new file. Trim will close it properly with the correct information.

Second option is using VLC, which can convert files besides playing them. However I wasn't successful with one, that copying back to USB and playing on the PS$ with Media Player plays fine. PS4 ignores all checks on videos, so ultimately they could be totally corrupt and she'll go ahead anyway.

Hope this helps others with same issues, this was driving nuts for a long time now.