Mini-guide for others...

ThatDrunkGuy

You don't need micro-transactions at all...never use crystals to open a plot on any map until the last 3 hard ones(Heroric mode, they are needed for Tactician).

Use crystals to upgrade in this order(maxed)...

Dart range

Dart cost

Dart damage

Loot from monsters

Budget at start

Support tower range

Support tower buff

...from here just save the crystals. Use those extra crystals to buy plots and any map you're having trouble getting the 3 stars. After you complete an episode to 3 stars, replay any mission in that episode to get a bonus 100 crystals.

The 3 heroic maps can be done by opening the buffed plots and buying and selling towers at the right time. If you have enough crystals saved though you can buy the spells cost upgrade, which I think will let you spam spells for less crystals.

As you go through the levels use one plot to buy and sell towers repeatedly. Just be careful at the end of the last round because it auto saves when done and it corrupted my save once. The game loads up quickly, so I recommend backing up the save every so often. Grinding kills at the end should be done on 1-3 I think. Looks like 300 or so weak/fast guys in about 2 minutes....you only need to build 3-5 maxed dart towers then AFK.