Is this game known to have issues with saves (e.g. corrupt saves)?

I know it's probably pointless to ask, but thought I might as well, just on the off chance I get an answer.

I just started this game, and while I was in the middle of a boss battle, I decided to make a manual save. Then I died, and instead of just regularly loading me back to my previous save, I simply got a "there are no saves" screen. I click cancel since it's my only option, and it informs me "there was an issue loading your save, try again?". I click yes, and I'm told once again that there's no saves. After clicking no to "try again" this time, I'm booted back to the title screen. From there, I click load and all my saves seem to be there. I load up my latest manual save, and it loads without any issue.

Hasn't been an issue again since, but it's got me cautious that this game may have issues with corrupt or otherwise problematic saves. Does anyone know if it does? And if it does, is there anything I can do to try and avoid it? I'm already rotating between 3 manual saves. I've had to deal with a few others games in the past year with corrupt saves, so I'm kinda paranoid about this now.

I did try Googling this, but I'm not really finding anything for the PS3 version. The PC and Switch versions do apparently occasionally get issues with corrupt/damaged saves though.

Edit: In case anyone is wondering, for the perhaps 2 people that will ever stumble upon this post and actually read it, I don't think the game has any issues with save corruption. I had the same issue happen to me again, I died, and when it went to automatically re-load, it told me there was no saved data again. Once back on the title screen, I can once again load normally.

I think the issue is when you make a manual save while enemies are around/in combat, or during a "mission" in general. It seems like the game is trying to load the latest save, which should be the autosave, but if you've saved since then, it just seems unable to find it, for whatever reason. Probably just some poor implementation of the save system or something, this game in general doesn't feel like it was made or ported that well, to put it lightly, but that's most Oddworld games it seems. The quick save option also seems completely broken and I suggest avoiding it like the plague.

Edited by SuperSmexy500
  • Like 1