Any fans of silent movies?

Wade_VC

I was just curious if there are any fans of silent movies, and why or why not?

As for me, I would like to share why I do enjoy silent movies.

For me, it has a lot to do with the fact that I am extremely interested in the early history of film. For me, to watch a silent movie is akin to climbing aboard a time machine and visiting the past...a past where, even as crude as some of the movies are, I can see for myself the progression of the advent of the film industry. Where it started and how it progressed into what it is today.

Many of the silents are, to me, a chance to see the pioneers in this industry where the only thing many of these film makers had were visions of the future and the desire to bring their desire(s) to fruition. Naturally, as the industry evolved, the movies got better, as did the acting and directing; and there I am, sitting front row center of being able to witness this progression.

I also find the visual history of silents equally interesting. Everything from the types of clothing people wore, to the way in which they lived, and the marvelous architecture that is often times present in these early celluloid extravaganzas.

I also honestly feel that there have been very few actresses who can touch the beauty of the female stars of the silent movies. Mary Pickford, Lillian Gish, Clara Bow, Marion Davies, ZaSu Pitts, Norma Shearer...the beautiful leading ladies of the silents possessed more natural beauty than anything todays starlets and their plastic surgeons could ever create.