affection explained

de_digibeet

I finally figured it out, after two failed play throughs and thinking I had failed a third and about to start a forth play through. It turned out I didn't fail of the previous attempts, I was just unaware of the mechanics at work here.

So, the main mechanic to be aware of: only one affection check/scene/action per town visit. When you enter a town, the first one you speak to gets an affection check, trigger a scene for that person if the affinity level is high enough, select as many gifts as you have/like (you can gift so long as the gifting menu is open) and have a chance at getting their item if the affection level is above 75%. All the other characters you speak to will say a line based on their affinity level.

Apparently, when I was trying multiple characters per town visit I always tried them in the same sequence so I never triggered the next one.

A note about the letters: accepting the proposal in any letter will remove all letters and will also block any new character letters from appearing in your inbox as well. Trophy wise you can decline each offer and move on to the next letter, only accepting the last one. However, for completionist purposes, each character has a special scene if you accept it, which gets added to the gallery. You can view one and then save (seems to be unnecessary to save, but might as well) and then reload to view another => gallery unlocks remain unlocked in a system save part of the save file. Each character also probably has some other scenes and a final one after the story ends, the last one is based on whose letter invitation you accepted. For a full gallery six play throughs seem necessary, there no trophy attached to this however.

A link to guides I found but who didn't stress this affection issue properly but are still useful for anything else:

https://www.xboxachievements.com/game/frane-dragons-odyssey/guide/

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/vita/261720-frane-dragons-odyssey/faqs/79385/intro

Edited by de_digibeet

• 1 year later...