Return to Chinese embassy computer glitch?

Having trouble with a glitch preventing me from completing the game.  I'm playing through chapter 9 (the 2nd mission in the Chinese embassy) and there is a scene with 3 soldiers shooting computers. I've knocked them out but when I get to the red screened computer in the next room and select the option 'use computer' nothing happens. According to guides I've checked there's supposed to be a mission objective update from Lambert followed by a radio intercept of the Chinese General, but I don't get either of these. The game allows me to keep playing, unlike if you're too slow and the computer is 'destroyed', and I can get all the way to the room with the 3 turrets and eye scanner, but the Colonel won't appear for me to use the eye scanner (presumably because he has no reason to go that way because he didn't get the message from the General either!)

I've tried reloading from the autosave point and loading the entire chapter from the beginning, but every time I use the red screen computer I get an animation of Fisher using the computer but no pop ups of data sticks found and more importantly no recognition from Lambert of having done anything.

Any help or suggestions appreciated as I've been playing my first run through on hard and am currently still in the running for the 'Passive Aggression' and 'immune' trophies (and depending how quick I've been with reloading saves possibly even 'stealth operative' and 'Urban Legend') so I'd really rather not have to redo the last 8 chapters from scratch. Took me hours in the abattoir to not get caught and not kill anyone either.

Can't find anything online about this specific problem with the game so hoping someone here might have a suggestion.

So I figured out the problem and thought I'd share the solution in case anybody else ever gets it.

What happened is that the first time I attempted the mission I failed to stop the computer destroying soldiers in time, Lambert started giving me the failure speech but instead of listening I paused and reloaded my nearest save. However the game was stuck on the idea of the computer no longer having the information I needed, so nothing happened when I used it and the next objective wouldn't register.

What I did was deliberately fail the mission at that point and let the soldiers destroy the computer, only this time went through all of Lambert's speech and wait for the red 'mission failed' screen and to be taken back to the main menu. I then reloaded the same save I'd been going back to before except this time the computer had reset and was accessible, allowing me to complete the objective and move on with the game.

Hope that helps anybody who gets a similar problem. (Side note: because this particular mission failure was a time issue not an alarm, it didn't stop me earning stealth operative).

• Like 2