Real Dakar 18 Platinum Guide (1.00 to 2.01)

alexkuzko

• 3 weeks later...

nice guide! :)

I started Dakar 18 not long time ago (US) and the game is often absolutely unplayable. It crashes/freezes a lot. Sometimes invisible barriers totally destroy your car out of the blue or rocks in ant size. oh, and the helicopter. where you hit something and suddenly you fly over the map. It's really frustrating to play it. Concerning playing competitor/legend with the truck: I tried now with v1.0 but the AI is still not that bad. This casserole with tires has no power to move over dunes. You managed to win every stage with that thing?

I won every stage in Peru with the Duster and the patched/online version. And it's really, like really really hard to beat the AI. Not only because of the times, but they can do whatever they want. I saw them entering speed zones / villages (mostly sainz) with full speed in superman manner and at the end screen they don't even receive a penalty for it. they never change a single tire, even when I'm obligated to do it after a 500km stage. How should I beat them when I need to slow down but they can keep the speed? Or when you need to go off-track over those little dunes where rocks hide behind every plant, so you drive carefully. The AI rushes with full speed through it. And even when I follow them on the exact same path, my car will be destroyed sooner or later. It's impossible to keep up with AI like that. Really frustrating. maybe I will go back to 1.0 and try the truck. But after testing it on competitor 1.0 the truck is really slow and the AI is always catching up. I just tried the dunes in Peru and not later stages with it.

Is it possible to not get 1st in one stage and repeat it later and still get the trophy for winning every stage?

here's a beautiful example how the AI rushes into a crowd (which for us would be a direct expulsion). Sainz continued the race without any penalty at the end:

Edited by banlieue8952
  • Like 4

@banlieue8952sorry for late response - was busy with work...

Well, to the Legends difficulty - as you may have seen I wasn't able to complete Competitor level on 1.00 and 1.01 versions with Truck (used KAMAZ) as Stage 12 was glitched - it was impossible to pass Passage Control Zone due to the fact Truck was driving straight into the personnel. I've tried it tens times, different angles, tried to run alongside competitors (it is impossible - trucks run one after another), spent 8+ hours just to find that it is impossible. So I was forced to upgrade to version 1.04 (it is tricky) and immediately saw that mine Truck have got higher top speed! Yes! So it was easy enough to win all stages and I won remaining stages on Competitor level with KAMAZ pretty easily. Then I've started to play on Legend difficulty with MAZ. I wasn't perfect, on one stage I even able to win with few seconds margin and it was tough, really tough. One stage I was forced to replace tires after first stage (it was important - you need to win first part, then repair and win second/overall) but as said I was constantly checking the Total/Won counters to proof I've won or lost.

Should I tell that Legend difficulty doesn't allow to resume in the middle of the stage?.. So if game freezes/crashes you are out of luck and need to start stage from the beginning. Fortunately it does save after first part in two parts stages.

I believe that 2.01 version is harder (speed is as high as with 1.04 version but AIs.... they play in their own "no-rules" league) so I've kept playing 1.04 and finished all Trophy Hunt (for a second time, you know - you need to collect everything again for countable trophies) and Competitors/Legends difficulty. Then I've upgraded to 2.01 just to finish 6,000 km for remaining vehicle types AND replay Stage 14 to get trophies (explained below).

IMPORTANT: You need to upgrade to 2.01 version as soon as you won on Legend difficulty in version 1.04 and restart Stage 14 (I won it but probably it is possible to drive it in relaxed manner) as this is the only version of the game where you may get remaining trophies for winning!

HINT: As I was starting first all the time (become I won each previous stage) it was possible to try to cheat by running few kms, wait for a second runner (usually it is your rival) and then force him out of road/crash him. Then drive as fast as you can. I also saw that AI times were random. E.g. if you restart stage your rivals may be out of luck, crash, etc. and you will be the first.

To your remaining question: I don't know is it possible to restart Stage, win Stage you failed in your first run and re-calculate the trophy conditions to get missed Trophy for winning all stages in specific region. I wasn't brave enough to test it. I was saving after EACH AND EVERY stage I won. Have two USB sticks, PC to save them and strict rule to save to them in a row to prevent any human mistake. I was paranoid!

Good luck to you! This Platinum smells like nothing else so you will be proud of yourself when you achieve it!

Edited by alexkuzko
  • Like 1