PS4/PS5 Versions

So, it does look like the game has no free upgrade, and even this being kinda nasty, I enjoyed it so much I decided to buy the PS4 version. The point is, it DOES NOT appear at the PS store. On ps5, the only version up for sale is the PS5 one, but when you navigate through the mobile PS app, the PS4 version appears as available for purchase. 

So, would it be a case of no retrocompatibility? Did anyone faced the same issue?

PlayStation changed the store about 12 months ago because people complained about buying and installing the 'wrong version' of their games.

Basically, if a game has cross-buy, you have one sales item that lets you pick the version you want to download. But, if the game has NO cross-buy yet a separate PS4 and PS5 version, you'll only see the PS5 version on the PS5 console store. But, you'll see both the PS4 and PS5 versions if looking on the app or website, allowing you to buy either.

If you buy the PS4 version on a PS4, the app, or the website, it'll appear in your library to download and play on the PS5. If you actually buy both versions, it'll act like a cross-buy title and give you a pop-up asking which version you wish to play/install. 

But, if you don't own the game, you'll only ever see the PS5 version on the PS5 console (unless it's a cross-buy title).

I hope that makes sense :)

5 minutes ago, turniplord said:

PlayStation changed the store about 12 months ago because people complained about buying and installing the 'wrong version' of their games.

Basically, if a game has cross-buy, you have one sales item that lets you pick the version you want to download. But, if the game has NO cross-buy yet a separate PS4 and PS5 version, you'll only see the PS5 version on the PS5 console store. But, you'll see both the PS4 and PS5 versions if looking on the app or website, allowing you to buy either.

If you buy the PS4 version on a PS4, the app, or the website, it'll appear in your library to download and play on the PS5. If you actually buy both versions, it'll act like a cross-buy title and give you a pop-up asking which version you wish to play/install. 

But, if you don't own the game, you'll only ever see the PS5 version on the PS5 console (unless it's a cross-buy title).

I hope that makes sense :)

Thank you for the information, man! It makes perfect sense. 

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On 12/16/2022 at 2:28 AM, ShaNagbaImuru777 said:

Just thought I'd confirm something in case anybody is curious - the physical (North American) PS4 disc version of Fobia absolutely does have a free PS5 upgrade. Source: just installed it myself. It also states so on the cover.

Hi, it's been a while, i know, but could you elaborate on how did you do it exactly?

I have the physical game, there is the ps5 upgrade available sticker on the cover. I put the disc in, it installed the PS4 version. There is no option anywhere to upgrade, there is no code inside the case, if I go to the game page on the PSN store, there is only the option to buy the PS5 version, not to upgrade, even if I click the 3 dots (some games hid the upgrade option in that submenu).

If you still remember, could you tell me in detail how you got the upgrade? Just installed the game and can't figure out if the option has been dicontinued or what, couldn't find any info on google.

Thanks! 

Edit: After giving up and starting the PS4 game anyway, I just realized my game disc is european. My playstation account is brazillian, that could very well be the reason I don't see the upgrade option. That and the fact the sticker says Upgrade available, but no mention that it is free. I do also have an US account in the console, no upgrade option either. Can't be arsed now to create an european account to test though, as I've started the game already.

Edited by IsOliveiras
Additional info