Do I understand sidequests correctly?

Im playing through my first playthrough on normal atm, and as far as I have read only 24 of 26 sidequests are avaliable the first playthrough.

IF I beat the 24 sidequests, then start a new playthrough on hard.. do I only need to beat the 2 remaining to clear the 26 and then get the VR?

or am I getting something wrong?

You will play Chapter select on Normal to get those extra missions.  Every chapter can be played again after you beat the game.  Focus on leveling up materia to avoid late game grinding.  Materia slots should always be in good use.  Also steal often and always.  One of Aerith's weapons is obtained by stealing it on a boss fight and stealing allows excess items which can be sold in stores for gil.  Selling excessive potions and andidotes is how you get extra money.

On 7/30/2022 at 0:54 AM, Squeek111 said:

Im playing through my first playthrough on normal atm, and as far as I have read only 24 of 26 sidequests are avaliable the first playthrough.

IF I beat the 24 sidequests, then start a new playthrough on hard.. do I only need to beat the 2 remaining to clear the 26 and then get the VR?

or am I getting something wrong?

for first line, not exactly. all 26 sidequests are available in your first playthrough, but you can only do 24. chapter 9 branches off 4 sidequests into two paths. answering your question, yes. you can simply tell the ones you have or haven't done by the check mark. if it is checked, means it has been registered to your game statistics (which accumulates everything you've done across multiple playthrough).

unrelated to your question but relevant to chapter 9: be aware that you can't get a different bridal costume for Aerith and Tifa just by replaying chapter 9. Tifa's dress is decided in chapter 3, Aerith's in 8, Cloud in 9. if you start chapter 9 through chapter select, (say straight after beating the game) Aerith and Tifa's costume will be determined from how you completed chapters 3 and 8 the last time (which is the same, since you haven't done those two differently). so to get plat, you need 2 full playthroughs (normal + hard, picking up 6 dresses along the way) plus those 3 chapters (getting the last 3). you don't need to re-do 4 through 7, though.