Impressions: Only for true castlevania fans

Yeah, this one is hard and arguably not very good. I'm not sure if it's harder per say than Vs Castlevania though as the clock is definitely on your side in this version.

I wouldn't say it's the worse castlevania game I've played. That would probably go to Castlevania the Adventure. In that games case the difficulty was more with the precision platforming the character moves fairly slow as well and the side scrolling hurts my eyes. Anyway HCs difficulty comes from the cheapness of the enemy spawns mainly but you can learn the patterns at least in the earlier levels. It might even be easier than some of the later stages in Dracula's curse which are down right unfair.

With HC I played the JP version which comes bundles in. In that version you can refill your health bar using the options button. I don't know if that also works in the EU and US versions. But it definitely does not work in high score mode. Either way I assume this is related to game credit. Also I'm not sure how that impacts continues but your score resets after a game over so my recommendation is to abuse save states while going for most of the score based trophies.

But yeah this game doesn't suck but it's fairly middle of the road all things considered. It's also weird that in this game you can get drops that change your main weapon as well. Swinging around a ball and chain was neat. 

As far as subweapons go, holy cross brings the smack down and clock it god tier as it helps you avoid infinite respawning bats.

Last thing worth mentioning is that in nearly every boss fight smaller enemies will keep on spawning during the fight. Which is cheap and lame. 

So yeah, this game is ok. Better than castlevania the adventure. Worse than bellmonts revenge. Easier than Dracula's curse but harder than bloodlines. I got all the trophies done for this in a couple of hours and I suck.

You need 30K score to be able to register on the leader board in high score mode.

I just wish the price was more reasonable here. At 10 bones a peace, this is hard to justify unless you want to get every CV trophy or your are a big fan like me. But hey when isn't that the case when it comes to Arcade Archive games?

Anyways those are me thoughts.

• Like 1