Mooncrash Farming

Doom

I wanted to unlock all characters first, but halfway to unlocking the last one (spy), I reached the point where hazards (like fire) start to appear and the timer runs a bit faster.

So I decided to start farming now.

The first attempt was an absolute disaster. First Poltergeist I met in the labs oneshotted me (150hp) with lift... and I was like... HTF am I even supposed to scan this shit?

Second attempt is going better, decided to go to the annex hoping no Poltergeist spawns there. I'm managing better, but I'm wasting all my resources crafting time loops. I think I have only 2 units of alien matter left.

Admittedly, I'm a bit unlucky because I'm mostly getting operators and tentacle monsters, so there's that.

I have cleaned all the crater map (escape pod area included, and all the gold chests you can get by stepping into the small areas that connect to the other 3 maps. The control tower area, and basically the whole ground floor of the annex (minus some dorm rooms). And I managed to craft only 1 neuromod, and found only 7, maybe?

Think I have already used ~7 loops + 2 more in inventory.

I'm very far from having a maxed engineer, but I already have max inventory and the recycle ability, so I was expecting better results.

Should I only aim for golden chests?

Should I just go to the center tower and then to the map of choice?

Should I start from scratch, unlock all characters while ignoring everything else, in the hope of keeping the timer af the first stage of speed? (Admittedly, I'm finding a lot of yellow weapons now, so I'm probably better off against enemies)

Aternatively I could just go on struggling for a while, and farm as much sim points as possible and just buy neuromods with each characters?