Most Wanted Cheese Method

Xillynoc

So after a dozen or so attempts, I finally popped Most Wanted - no outside assistance and at the fairly low level of 11. Originally I was gonna come on here and request advice on how to accomplish the feat of remaining wanted for 10 minutes and surviving with marshals + other players roaming about to 1-shot me, but on my last attempt I figured out a way to cheese the system and turn the challenge into a boring, but significantly easier affair; entirely possibly someone else already came up with this in the 10+ years that the game's been out and posted about it here, but if they have it's been lost in the depths of the forums and I figure it should be on the recent list for players who are only just starting the game as I am.

Here's the steps in order:

1. Join a public free roam server with few to no other players. I don't know if this trophy can be done in a Friendly Free Roam session (where players can't kill each other), and if so disregard this advice, but Most Wanted is much easier without jackasses running up on you at minute 9 to snipe you from 100 yards and claim the bounty/troll you. The normal enemies are already enough to worry about.
  2. Once in a "safe" server, stock up on ammunition from the shining silver boxes that give you ammo of every type for all your guns - my preferred spot was Nosalida, as it has two of said boxes and the enemies aren't hostile toward you unless you attack or overly jostle one of them (i.e. with a running horse).
  3. When you've maxed out all your ammunition, travel to Chuparosa and climb up to the roof of the building labeled posada, which slants in two directions, one toward the encircling wall of the city. This is where you'll make your stand.
  4. Start shooting civilians and police officers as they come by with a repeater to rack up your bounty, aiming for $1000; it's actually okay if they stop spawning long enough for your bounty to fade out, as the amount will remain intact and increment from there once you start getting kills again. In fact, this is preferable because should you stop and start again around the $500-$600 mark, you'll only get policemen spawned for your Public Enemy state if you follow these directions.
  5. Upon reaching $1000+ and becoming a Public Enemyimmediately cease firing, start a timer on your phone or computer, and retreat to the side of the roof facing the encircling wall, where there should be no enemies to spot/shoot you (though you should still have some around the building). From here, you have two options:
    • The first method (what I did) is to stay crouched on that side of the roof, wait for your bounty to start fading, and once the bloodstain reaches the in WANTEDfire a shot into the air with your pistol, which will refill the gauge by momentarily alerting the surrounding enemies. Then...repeat this, over and over, until you reach 10+ minutes on your timer and let the gauge fully drain, after which you should see a new bounty score with the trophy popping several seconds later. During this, no new enemies will spawn because you're not incrementing your bounty and/or killing anyone, which will prevent marshals or more policemen from showing up on the hill nearby and firing at you.
    • The second method, per the RDR wiki page on this specific trophy, is to enter the Outfitter submenu from the select screen that lists all the game modes and players (accessed by first pressing the select button, then the square button) and spending 10 minutes in there, which should maintain your bounty + wanted status without enemies being able to hurt you - then, simply leave the Outfitter and let your WANTED status drain to gray, which should pop the trophy after a minute or so.

This was by far the most frustrating trophy I've dealt with among the solo challenges of the multiplayer, so if this strategy helps even one other player avoid that agony I'll be content, haha. Let me know if there's other ez methods for solo players attempting this trophy, or if I missed anything (typing this up very late at night so it's entirely possible).