One million Call of Duty Elite memberships sold

So how unprecedented was demand for Call of Duty Elite? Activision has announced that it's only taken six days to sell one million premium memberships to Call of Duty Elite. To put that figure in perspective, Activision notes that it took Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Xbox Live about a year to reach one million paid subscribers.

Since its launch, more than four million gamers have registered for Call of Duty Elite, including basic memberships. Over 80,000 clans have been created, and 100,000 user-generated videos have been uploaded.

Some of the one million sales were made up by the Hardened Edition. For a $40 premium, the limited edition included a one year subscription.

GameStop stores sold 600K of the one million memberships, meaning Call of Duty Elite--an online subscription service--has been a more successful retail product than an online one.

Bobby Kotick, CEO of Activision Blizzard commented in a press release: "The audience response to Call of Duty Elite's premium service has been beyond our expectations, and we want to thank Call of Duty players around the world for their unprecedented enthusiasm." The overwhelming response to CODE has resulted in spotty service, with Activision promising fully operational service by December 1st.

"The demand for Call of Duty Elite at launch was so overwhelming, that for the first several days, the service did not perform up to our or our fans standards. I want to personally thank our fans for their patience. Our teams have been working around the clock to get the service scaled up to meet demand," said Eric Hirshberg, CEO, Activision Publishing. As recompense for its lackluster launch, Activision has extended people's memberships by a month.

Source: http://www.shacknews.com/article/71203/one-million-call-of-duty-elite-memberships-sold

What is Call of Duty ELITE exactly? And why is a Call of Duty related subscription service actually popular?

What is Call of Duty ELITE exactly? And why is a Call of Duty related subscription service actually popular?

Its basically a subscription to a service that lets you compete against other players around the world for prizes, view tons of stats, create clans, as well as get all the DLC for MW3 free (there's at least 9 pieces to be released I think). So really it depends how much your bothered about these benefits, but since there are so many people that play COD, it doesn't surprise me that over 1,000,000 have been sold :)

Its basically a subscription to a service that lets you compete against other players around the world for prizes, view tons of stats, create clans, as well as get all the DLC for MW3 free (there's at least 9 pieces to be released I think). So really it depends how much your bothered about these benefits, but since there are so many people that play COD, it doesn't surprise me that over 1,000,000 have been sold :)

That's gotta be a big selling point, the DLC is pretty much a $14.99 per month subscription fee on it's own. :P

• 2 months later...