Clearly I am dumb, but I am lost

happyman778

I am not going to put this in the Sessions area because I have more questions looking than looking for people to play with...

I started playing Destiny 2 this week, and it is very fun to play. But after doing the initial quests I am sort of at a loss. Am I dumb?

1. I don't have any idea how on earth I am supposed reach 1595 Power Level? I have been playing all the modes, completing the weekly challenges etc. and I am still nowhere near (1555)
  2. I have read the guide, so in order to get the two trophies associated with Exotics, I have to meet Xur and also just hope I get them from random drops in various events and activities?
  3. In oder to do Dungeons, the Grandmaster Nightfall, and Raids there is no match making, so how do I find people. I wouldn't mind just playing this for fun so having some people to play with would be nice. I did get invited to a Clan, yet nobody in it seems to be that active. Should I just make a session?

Thank you for all your help experienced Guardians. 

18 minutes ago, happyman778 said:

I am not going to put this in the Sessions area because I have more questions looking than looking for people to play with...

I started playing Destiny 2 this week, and it is very fun to play. But after doing the initial quests I am sort of at a loss. Am I dumb?

1. I don't have any idea how on earth I am supposed reach 1595 Power Level? I have been playing all the modes, completing the weekly challenges etc. and I am still nowhere near (1555)
  2. I have read the guide, so in order to get the two trophies associated with Exotics, I have to meet Xur and also just hope I get them from random drops in various events and activities?
  3. In oder to do Dungeons, the Grandmaster Nightfall, and Raids there is no match making, so how do I find people. I wouldn't mind just playing this for fun so having some people to play with would be nice. I did get invited to a Clan, yet nobody in it seems to be that active. Should I just make a session?

Thank you for all your help experienced Guardians. 

1. Welcome to the grind, the name of the game for Destiny. Power Level is determined by your artifact level and your actual gear level (gear avg + artifact bonus). 1595 would be 1580 (Pinnacle Cap for gear) + 15 artifact bonus. Alternatively, you can have lower gear and higher bonus, as there is no limit to your artifact bonus per season. 

You rank up your gear through just playing the game. Each week there will be several sources of Powerful Gear and of Pinnacle Gear. Powerful gear will drop at your current highest average gear level, and Pinnacle Gear will drop at +1 or +2 your highest average (depends on the source of the Pinnacle Reward for if its +1 or +2, example being the current raid is +2, your three weekly crucible, Gambit, and strikes are +1). 

You started pretty late into the season so you probably won't reach 1595 unless you really go all in on the grind. You have until December 6th, which is the start of the next season and the Pinnacle cap will raise to 1590. As long as you're having fun, just play the game, and make sure to do anything that lists Powerful or Pinnacle Gear as a reward each week. It'll place you in a better position for grinding going forward. 

At 1555, you're well past the soft cap (1520) which means your main source for getting higher gear is through the means I listed above. Once you reach 1570 (or 10 below the Pinnacle cap for any given season) you NEED Pinnacle Gear to get higher up (unless you have one or two pieces fairly below your average score, but this isn't super common). 

2. Yes. Some things have higher chances for exotics, like the more difficult nightfalls. I think some things might be available at the Monuments to Lost Light right at the Vault in the Tower. 

3. Right now you'll have to use the in-app LFG from the official Destiny app, or meet people in game somehow through clans and matchmaking other activities. Alternatively making a session here works too, but you'll have better luck with the LFG. Next year, or sometime after the next expansion in February, they will be adding an LFG feature into the game itself so you won't need to use the app. There might be other sites to use as a Destiny LFG but ever since they added the feature into the app I've not bothered checking elsewhere.

Also, every dungeon can be soloed if you feel up to the challenge. Shattered Throne has not been remotely updated to match the power creep that has happened over the past 3-4 years since it was introduced, so it's a pure joke solo once you know what you're doing. The rest are doable but will actually take way more effort. 

Edited by go123ty
  • Like 3