Best enemies for counters? (Ritual of Magic Absorption)

ThiophenSJ

Hey everyone,

completed this game yesterday and had a lot of fun with it. Now I‘m only missing the combat related trophies, with the hardest one for me being the 30000 mana points via ritual of magic absorption. I just cannot get the timing of the counter down.

Can you recommend an enemy to me?

I prefer the headless dolls right after the first statue in Underground Cave, since they’re kinda like a tutorial given the black cat gives you Magic Absorption then.

Dunno if they’re necessarily the most efficient but they’re definitely the easiest; stand right in their face so they raise their arm to do a slow smack, and if they crouch for a lunge just dodge out of the way and waltz up again.

The purple archers in the Spirit Realm and their single arrow shot attack are also somewhat easy to counter, but it’s gonna be a pain trekking there again on NG+ and they’re obviously more dangerous so I’d only recommend them for people past the point of no return who don’t want to replay the game.

Hope that helps, I’m on the grind too right now.

• Like 1

I tried the ghost-worm-thingies in the starting area, as well as the headless dolls and the crawling dolls in the underground cave, but for me, I could never get the timing down. Not even a single successful counter.

However, in the lava area, there are a few of these dolls with 2 blades. I found them „easier“, as in, I could maybe get every fifth counter in. However, it nets only around 200 mana points and the bladed dolls die pretty fast, so it was still a jaring grind.

However again! The second phase of Monica, boss of the lava area, works splendid for me. Her moveset is extremely predictable.

Her first move is the slam with her giant palm. It‘s okayish to counter.

Second move is where she puts Nobeta between her palms. Press attack at the same time when you see the slightest outward palm-movement/ begin of attack (not the idle wobbling). Works great, high chance of success.

Then she makes the flame-ball. Make it explode. She will then throw random small fireballs at you. Randomly attack, might get another counter. Then 3 big fireballs. Another chance for a counter.

Rinse and repeat several times until the dies, then jump into the lava as well to reset the boss (you don‘t have to do phase 1 again).

Of course the counters are still finicky, but with Monica I get around 3000 in 6 minutes of fighting.

Btw. this is all speaking from NG+ persepective on normal mode. I take basically no damage from her attacks.

EDIT: This post was my second Monica run, now my third run gave me 5100 in 6 minutes (had more successful counters of her first palm strike). Yeah, this grind will be a lot less tedious than I thought.

Edited by ThiophenSJ

Glad to hear Monica worked out great for you. I can't shed my instinct to dodge instead of counter whenever I see an enemy/projectile approaching me and I personally have trouble getting the timing right on giant Monica's clap attack. If I wasn't close to being done already I'd be tempted to start another NG+ run to practice more on her cause that's some pretty lucrative gains.

• Like 1