Play Session Durations

Trev-awe

I'm a dad with very limited gaming time which means I find it hard to play for long periods of time at one and also at a regular reoccuring time. Wondering what this game asks of you timewise, are the raids long? Do you have to do long daily challenges to level up well? Is it possible to play in 30min chunks here or there? Or will I hit a point where everything requires a long play session to complete? 

• Like 1

I do 30 mins to an hour sessions all the time. I'd say you'll have plenty of time for most of the content can be done solo and in short periods of getting on the game. Raids however, depending on your fireteam will take at least an hour. If it was the old Red War Raids, you'd get those done in 45mins or less. It's not impossible to get Raids done in a short amount of time but that is also endgame content for sure. 

I also have limited time throughout the day to play and I have been able to do everything. The raids all are around an hour but could be more if you have more than 1 or 2 new players.

When I want to raid i just plan ahead, only attempt to run 1 when I know i can waste 3~ hours. Luckily the game doesn't really require you to run any endgame content since you can get comparable gear elsewhere.

Like most modern MMOs destiny doesn't force you to have a bunch of social interactions, with the app you can get a group for almost all content within minutes no need to get a clan. It's especially nice for people like us who may not login every day or even week. All seasonal story is drip-fed so maybe 15-20 minutes a week to knock that out leaves you open to do whatever you want.

That said i really don't recommend buying the latest DLC(i bought it because friends wanted to play it) just buy the seasons then grab the DLC on sale since it only locks you out of trials(Endgame PvP) and the current raid. If you are okay with spending 80-100$ on a 2 hour campaign then by all means go ahead but if I didn't have friends who wanted to play i would do like I do every new expansion...Take a break