Medium/Gear Setup

crosvale

So I consider the gear installation system a bit flawed in this game, and throughout my platinum playthrough I was unable to find an ideal medium/gear setup to work towards while playing through the story. I ended up hoarding gears until I obtained all 12 mediums and made my final decision on who had what so that I wouldn't be double-stacking status and elemental gears. On top of this, there are a few gears that you only get a set amount of that do not show up on the Black Market (most notably Weather Vanes for ambushes!) I decided to make this thread to show my personal setup and why I made the decisions I did for anyone else like me who has commitment issues with these gears. I can confirm that this setup gets you through the toughest fights, no problem, and you can equip these gears as you get them instead of hoarding them like I did. >.>

Note that while my setup shows that Virginia has the Full Libra, I didn't obtain this gear until well after covering all status wards. This was so that I could level grind to 100 as soon as possible, much earlier than when the Full Libra is obtainable. After equipping Full Libra, you are free to remove all the status gears (keep Fallen Ward) from Virginia, but I didn't see the point. Also, I didn't bother covering any elemental wards on anyone until I was close to obtaining the Prism Crown due to how annoying farming elemental rings can be. Having to get one less of each saved me time, and Virginia was more than fine without coverage leading up to the Prism Crown. Note that Flash Hit only has Full Libra on it. Until obtaining Full Libra, I left Flash Hit completely empty because of how useful it can be to occasionally swap to Gallows to Extend Valiant. The only reason I didn't keep it on Gallows is because the three he ended up with gave him the highest MAG stat for Weakness damage, and Valiant honestly loses its usefulness once you obtain Violator for Clive. Additionally, you'll notice some of my mediums don't have 5 gears on them. This just means I didn't feel the need to add anything else. This setup was meant to be exactly what I needed to get the platinum with the least amount of effort. If anything, this just gives you more room for error.

Virginia

Terra Roar - Dried Flower, Weather Vane, Heart Leaf, Memo Pen, Prism Crown

Hope Shard - Holy Grail, Clear Chime, Blue Bracer, Moonstone, Alarm Clock

Flash Hit - Full Libra

Jet

Gale Claw - Moonstone, Blue Bracer, Clear Chime, Hazel Sprig, Heart Leaf

Cosmic Cog - Memo Pen, Water Ring, Earth Ring, Fire Ring, Light Ring

Moon Spark - Ice Ring

Gallows

Aqua Wisp - Weather Vane, Blue Bracer, Clear Chime, Alarm Clock, Dark Ward

Lust Jaw - Holy Grail, Earth Ring, Fire Ring, Wind Ring, Light Ring

Love Charm - Thunder Ring

Clive

Fiery Rage - Hazel Sprig, Heart Leaf, Memo Pen, Water Ring, Earth Ring

Brave Seal - Violator, Dark Ring, Wind Ring, Light Ring, Ice Ring

Lucky Hand - Robber's Ego, Weather Vane, Thunder Ring

Obviously, these gears and mediums can be swapped around any number of ways to apply the same coverage. I chose this medium setup to compliment Virginia's Defense and HP stat, Gallows Magic stat, and Clive's Attack stat. Jet really becomes the worst character by the time you obtain all mediums in the midgame, and his only real useful purpose is to occasionally Quicken Clive, Replay Clive, or Feed Clive Full Carrots to pull off Finest Arts. This means he really just needs Cosmic Cog for Replay. In fact, by the time you're confronting the late game bosses, everyone will be pushing for Clive's constant Finest Arts.

This thread is really just to give players a peace of mind when equipping gears as soon as they find them to work towards the build they'll need later without worrying about wasting anything. Obviously if anyone wants to share their setups or point out any glaring flaws in mine, feel free to below!

Edited by crosvale

• 5 months later...

I have a question about that setup. Im at the beginning of the game with the first 4 mediums, and I wonder why you choose to put terra roar on Virginia instead of Gallows, and I have seen this same choice in other setups but I cant understand why.

Terra Roar has the Defender skill, which suits the tank role, someone with high HP, and Virginia has the lowest HP. Besides, Gallows can use of Extend with Protect and Shiled, and Virginia can heal the party with Mystic.

Im not saying your setup is wrong, I just want to know why you (and a lot of people) think that Terra Roar is better on Virginia than Gallows.

Thanks.