2023 start off

Waspfarmer

If you are intending to platinum and/or 100% this, you should know, it's a hell of a grind and time commitment. Some things are time sensitive, others just very very grindy and some require a group.

Bungie seem to have abandoned any trophy support since the Forsaken DLC, so unless they tweak those DLC requirements on an ongoing basis to reflect current content, you got what you got on that front.

I'm not complaining as I really love this game and it's been a blast so far, but I think anyone planning to play this and go for trophies should really do the research to know what they are getting into.

If you are intending to play without caring much about trophies though, go for it :) 

• 1 month later...
On 4/4/2023 at 0:28 PM, Waspfarmer said:

hello all , just wondered the state of play as of...well today , it says free, just wondered people's opinions on the game, never played 1 but it looks like mass effect , which i loved , thanks

I've been playing since the Destiny 1 alpha, so I would highly highly recommend trying to get into the game if it fits your tastes. In Season 21 (which begins March 23rd) the seasonal power increase is going away completely. So you will only have to grind your gear level to the max cap once a year, rather than the previous 4 times a year. The new year will begin sometime in 2024. 

High-level content is also falling in line with this change so the barrier to enter is much lower, meaning you can continue end endgame content sooner in a given season than before. 

If you care about getting trophies, you'll have to grind to the Pinnacle cap for the given year so you can do the Grandmaster Nightfalls. They're the other endgame PvE content aside from Raids that you can do. The grind itself is not bad especially if you buy at least the current expansion. The previous expansions aren't NECESSARY but some of the content is locked behind them (the 4 expansion related raids and dungeons require the related DLC purchase). Getting the platinum is fairly easy now so long as you don't mind grinding for a bit. 

Unfortunately the base game and Year 2 story content has all been vaulted (removed from the game and miiiiiight return later down the line) so if you really care about learning the story up to the current season, you'll have to do some reading or watch any recap videos on YouTube. 

Since I've been playing since Day 1, I can't comment on how the new player experience is, but on the subreddit it sounds like it's not the greatest. Kinda confusing, especially with the content changing every 3 months and in a much greater sense when the new expansion launches. Bungie hasn't made it an incredibly clear cut ride to get new players into the groove of things, but I'd say it's better than it was even just a year ago.

I'd suggest starting the game when the new season launches so some of the new quality of life changes are implemented, but starting before then wouldn't hurt if you just wanna see if it's your cup of tea.