My Super Star Dance Quests Experience

grim_fendango

Hey just thought I would start tracking my experience with getting first place on all super star dance quests. Maybe this will help someone else in the future. Who knows?

I just got first place on the first dance quest (cake quest I think it's called).

For this quest I used the phone as I found the tracking to be more consistent (especially for the first song).

Coach selections:
1. Map 1 (PoPiPo) -> Coach 2 (the girl)

2. Map 2 (Cola Song Candy Version)-> Coach 3 (the yellow guy)

3. Map 3 (Oishii Oishii) -> Coach 1 (the blue fluffy guy)

Map difficulty ranking from easiest to hardest:
1. Map 2

2. Map 1

3. Map 3

I started out using coach 2 for map 2 and the tracking for one of the moves was really hard. Similar story for map 3, coach 2 has some trickier moves where as coach 1 just has more flapping.

Yep this took me about 6 tries to get right and only after I switched to the above coaches was I able to get 1st place.

Stay tuned for more.

Edited by grim_fendango

Just got first place on the Cool Kids dance quest (Dance Quest #2) with super star difficulty.

I think I got this done after about 4-5 tries this time.

I used the phone again. This selection contained a lot of hand rotation moves that are easier to visualise with the phone so it seemed to make sense to persist with the phone here.

Coach selections:

1. Map 1 (Can't feel my face) -> Coach 1

2. Map 2 (Groove) -> Coach 1 (red guy)

3. Map 3 (Wherever I go) -> Coach 1

2/3 maps had only one option for dance coaches. In terms of difficulty I would rank them like this (from easiest to hardest).

1. Map 3

2. Map 2

3. Map 1 (can't feel my face)

Sorry I can't remember the names of all the songs.

For maps 2 and 3 the key is to focus on hand rotation a lot in the moves. Map 2 has tight timing on certain moves so you will need to look out for that.

Map 1 is easily the hardest here. The timing of the song and the moves are a bit weird to get used to. Lots of snapping and moves flowing quickly into eachother. There is a particular move I struggled with a lot where both hands are rotating at waist hight right after the shoulder throws. I ended up using a surrogate move to get more consistent with it.

Onto the next one.

Edited by grim_fendango

Ok I just got the Year Round dance quest (Dance Quest #3) done on all difficulties.

This was by far the easiest dance quest so far and it only took me two attempts to get this done (one for hard difficulty and another for super star difficulty).

I used the phone again on both attempts so I can't really say if the tracking on any of the songs are better with the move controllers or not.

Coach selections:
1. Map 1 (Last Christmas) -> Coach 1 (guy on the left)

2. Map 2 (ghost in the keys I think) -> Coach 4 (ghost on the right)

3. Map 3 (El Tiki) -> Coach 2 (girl on the right)

Difficulty ranking (easiest to hardest):
1. Map 1 (Last Christmas)

2. Map 2 (Ghost in the Keys)

3. Map 3 (El Tiki)

Notes for Map 1:
Lots of hand rotation and hand swinging in the moves. Fairly straight forward. Though there is a few gold move that is misleading, (the one where they draw a love heart in the air). For that one I focused on drawing a nice circle with a smooth motion, the coaches hand gestures are really shaky and trying to follow that wasn't tracking very well.

Notes for Map 2:
I never tried any of the other coaches but based on my experience from DQ#1 I thought I would try using the non-human character again to see if it was easier. The gesture for the ghosts moves is fairly forgiving, I focused on the timing more so than matching the moves exactly and it gave me a perfect more often than not. That being said, some of the ghosts moves are very slow and floaty so keep an eye out for that.

Notes for Map 3:
Definitely the hardest map for this dance quest, though it's not ridiculously difficult by any means. I try with coach 1 so I can only speak from my experiences with coach 2. In this map, timing is really important, hand rotation is important. There's one point in the song with the gold move where the tempo quickly slows down, that threw me off a couple of times. Keep an eye out for that dance card and remember to slow down for that section and it should be fine.

And that's all I've got. I've had two tries of Dance Quest #4 (one with the phone and another with the move controller) and damn this one is going to be tricky. Especially the last song (Titanium) where the tracking seems to be really bad for certain moves. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it soon so I can provide another update then.

Status update for Dance Quest #4 (New Heroines Quest):

Probably the hardest dance quest I had faced up until that point. Each map only has one coach option. The coreo is tricky for 2/3 tracks and tracking is a bit off for 2/3 tracks.

I used the phone again on both attempts so I can't really say if the tracking on any of the songs are better with the move controllers or not.

I tried using the move controllers for this but man, these older games really seem to have worse move tracking. So I switched to the phone again to get this done. I would say this probably took me 8 attempts to get done.

Coach selections:N/A (each map only has one coach)

1. Map 2 (Worth It)

2. Map 3 (Titanium)

3. Map 1 (Into You)

Notes for Map 1:
This is the easy map for this set. I was able to consistently get first place here. This one has lots of hand rotation moves and some power moves that require a bit of force.

Notes for Map 2:
Ooof, timing and hand rotation matter a lot for this song. I noticed a bit of bad tracking and had to use lots of surrogate moves to get perfect scores.

Notes for Map 3:
Titanium really frustrated me. The tracking is quite bad on a lot of moves. I think the key here was using force in a lot of places where it doesn't look like you need it.

Overall I just barely scraped by with this dance quest. I got tied for first place and the gam was nice enough to give it to me.

Status update for Dance Quest #5 (Family Quest):

I struggled with this even more than Dance Quest #4 (which makes sense I guess). The tracking for 2/3 songs is just bad and the choreo for 2/3 songs is quite erratic and difficult to get right.

I tried with both the move and the phone. The move was fine for the first song but for song 2 and 3 IDK I just struggled. So I persisted with the phone again.

Coach selections:
1. Map 1 (Watch Me Whip/Nae Nae) -> Coach 2 (little girl)

2. Map 2 (Daddy) -> Coach 2 (little boy)

3. Map 3 (Tico-Tico No Fuba ) -> Coach 1 (guy on the left)

1. Map 1 (by a huge margin)

2. Map 2

3. Map 3

Notes for Map 1:
This is the easy map for this set (beginning to notice a pattern here). Once again I was able to get first place with this no problem. Tracking is generous and timing is generous.

Notes for Map 2:
Oh boy this map is hard. The choreo has repetitions but there's some subtle variations and stops that can catch you off guard. Also, there was a lot of tracking issues with the moves here. I had to go into just dance mode and practice this song separately before I was able to finish this dance quest. If you are struggling here I recommend you do the same. My advice would be to use lots of surrogate moves. Also the intro has some stretching moves that look like they require force and lateral movement, but actually just require controller rotation. There's other moves throughout the song like that as well. All in all very frustrating song, for reasons other than choreography.

Notes for Map 3:
This maaaaap. Bad tracking, erratic and diverse choreo. Maybe I'm just a noob for playing later entries where choreo is more repetitive but this song has virtually no reoccurring moves. So it's hard to fine tune your movements because nothing repeats. I still haven't got super star on this song.

So I lucked out and got first place on Map 1 and Map 2 here and then got last place on Map 3. By some miracle that was enough for me to nab first place. RNG was definitely on my side for this one.

This dance quest is not family friendly. Onto the next one.

Status update for Dance Quest #6 (Around the World):

This dance quest is haaaard. Tracking for 2/3 songs again is bad. And choreo is getting even harder.

I tried both move and phone controller. For this one I got quite stuck so I used the move controller to figure out how to work around the bugged moves and then I switched back to the phone for better consistency. My phone is heavy so I the move controller is a bit easier on my wrists when grinding away at the songs. When figuring out the bugged moves I replayed the songs in Just Dance mode quite a bit until I could consistently get superstars on at least 2/3 songs.

Coach selections:
1. Map 1 (Lean On) -> Coach 2 (guy on middle left)
2. Map 2 (Leila) -> Coach 1 (only option)
3. Map 3 (Carnaval boom) -> Coach 1 (only option)

Difficulty from easiest to hardest:
1. Map 2 (Leila)

2. Map 3 (Carnaval boom)

3. Map 1 (Lean on)

Notes for map 1:
I spent the longest trying to get this right in just dance mode. The timing and choreo is hard. There are a lot of bugged moves as well and tracking was a bit inconsistent. The timing of the beat doesn't match the moves in a lot of cases. My advice would be to try and use surrogate or simplified versions of the moves where possible. A lot of the moves require a soft touch rather than power.

Notes for map 2:
The tracking in Leila is mostly fair. Lot's of hand rotation required here. Though there are portions where you windmill your hands slowly and the coach also rotates their hands at the same time. Don't do the hand rotation in this case. Just focus on the windmills, keep those moves nice and slow.

Notes for map 3:
The tracking in this song is inconsistent as all hell. Gold move at the end is pretty impossible. Timing of the snaps is pretty critical here.

All I can say is yuck.... This is one of the hardest DQs.

Onto the next one.

----

Status update for Dance Quest #7 (Mask):

Used the phone for this. Got it done in 3 attempts.

Coach selection:
1. Map 1 (Whip/Nae Nae) -> Coach #3 (fox)

2. Map 2 (Cake by the Ocean aquanaut version) -> Coach 1 (only option)

3. Map 3 (RADICAL) -> Coach 1 (only option)

1. Map 2 (Cake by the Ocean)

2. Map 3 (RADICAL)
3. Map 1 (Whip / Nae Nae)

Notes for all maps:
Difficulty for each of these is really close. The tracking for all of these maps is really fair. Very few if any bugged moves. Generous thresholds overall. With a bit of practice you'll get these done no problem.

On to the next one.

---

Notes for Dance Quest #8 (Keep Calm and Dance):

Got this done using the phone in 3-4 attempts. Another relatively straightforward quest.

There are no coach options for this quest.

1. Map 2 (Cheap Thrills)

2. Map 3 (Don't Wanna Know)
3. Map 1 (Sorry)

Sorry I don't really have a lot to say about this one. I did a few of these Dance Quests back to back and this one kind of got lost in the shuffle. Sorry is quite difficult and I managed to get first place without super staring that song (so I will need to clean this up in Just Dance mode later).

Edited by grim_fendango

---
 Notes for Dance Quest #9 (Strong Woman):

As always I used the phone for this in the quest itself. But I used the move controllers sometimes while practicing these in Just Dance mode.

This took many many attempts.

No coach options in this lineup.

Difficulty ranking from easiest to hardest:
1. Map 3 (Bang)

2. Map 1 (Single Ladies)

3. Map 2 (Like I Would)

Notes for Map 1:
Some tracking issues with some of the moves. This is a big pain because the tracking issues are on the repetitive moves. But once I figured out the controller rotation for them I was able to get this done with little difficulty. Though it should be noted that this song is very high energy. It will tire you out and could cause wrist strain.

Notes for Map 2:
Even more tracking issues. This is the song I practiced the most. Had to use a lot of surrogate moves to address the bugged moves. For the gold move make sure to touch your face first otherwise you will get an X. Yeah this map is why I spent so long on this dance quest.

Notes for Map 3:
This is probably the most fair map for this lineup. Tracking is decent enough. Choreo at the end adds some variation that may take some practice to get right but yeah this one isn't too bad.

On to the next one

Status update for dance quest 10 (High Energy):

The difficulty spike for this quest is unreal. By far the hardest in the game no question.

I got this done after many many many many so many attempts. I also got this using a mobile controller.

Coach selections:

1. Map 1 (Don't stop me now) -> Coach 1 (only coach)

2. Map 2 (Daddy) -> Coach 3 (Girl on the right)

3. Map 3 (Scream and Shout) -> Coach 1 (only coach)

Difficulty rating from easiest to hardest (this should be fairly obvious):

1. Map 2 (Daddy)

2. Map 1 (Don't stop Me Now)

3. Map 3 (Scream and Shout)

Notes for map 1:

This took me the longest to get right. The timing thresholds are really precise for this song. Surrogate moves will not save you here. I got through this will a bit of luck and focus on timing. The writer of the guide said this was notoriously bugged. If you are struggling try doing the moves a little early.

I had to practice this until I could get supers semi consistently but I never got consistently good at this song. It takes immense focus.

I also used the multiplayer hack for this map as well. Where I had 3 other phones taking up competitor slots. This meant that my low super / high 5 star was more likely to get closer to the top of the rankings on this song.

Map 2 notes:

This is the easiest song in the lineup by a wide margin if you select the woman coaches.

Before starting this song I also disconnected the three other controllers. The idea of this being that I want increased variation so that 2/3 top scorers in the song are more likely to get to the bottom seeing as how my other phones aren't there to guarantee last place.

But yeah the tracking in this is fair. Timing is generous in most cases. I was able to get consistently first place in this map.

Map 3 notes:

Scream and about is super hard. I knew there was like zero chance I would get 1st place here. So I was really just coasting of my previous scores and hoping the other top scorers bottomed out in the last round. I ended up still placing last and got incredibly lucky with the points distribution of my opponents.

There is no advice I can give you on this map. I haven't supererd it yet. I plan on doing that next now that I can focus on learning one song rather than being good at 3 songs. If you can consistently not place last here and get 1st in the other two you may have an easier time. If that doesn't work maybe you could try having another player join halfway through. That might eliminate top scoring competition. Idk if that works but it's worth a try.

Final remarks:

I am so happy that I don't have to dance to Don't stop me now. Which is a great song and choreo ruined by bad tracking and very tight timing. The guide says that getting all the supers is harder than this trophy. But idk man we'll have to see of course, but right now I think this is more difficult. This requires luck and skill. Where as getting all the supers just requires luck.

Anyways, I imagine that no one is reading this. But if you are and you are stuck shoot me a message. Maybe I can help.

Edited by grim_fendango
  • Like 1