Save Data Corruption issue (Warning!)

ValkerianCreator

This happened with the Republique VR disc only, and thankfully, not with the other "standard disc" for Republique Anniversary Edition (so I can still play the game and save, but not with the VR disc).

The VR version's save data file gets corrupted often. It usually happens when you try to exit to the main menu, or if you simply close the game (which you are going to have to do, sooner or later). It goes into an error and the next time you open it the automatically-saved data file is corrupted and can't be used to continue playing from there, forcing you to start a new game to play in VR. What that means is that it is not feasible to try to beat the game for the 1st time or to get its trophies in the VR version. Because of the frequent save data corruptions in that one, it has to be beaten without saving. There is no chapter select after you pass the game either, so that would mean that the meticulous 100% playthrough with all the collectibles to get all the trophies would also require no saving (if you are using the VR disc). Needless to say, that makes it unplayable, or at least, not reasonable for the trophies.

My warning to those of you who want to play Republique in VR is to make sure that you buy an "anniversary edition case" that doesn't come with the VR version disc only. You need both discs, the VR disc and the standard (anniversary edition) disc too. There isn't any save data issue with the non-vr disc, so, that means that you will have to play it outside of VR the first time through to be able to save, as expected. And, after you beat it and you know what you are supposed to do everywhere, it is completely possible to do an entire VR playthrough in speedrunning fashion, using the VR disc and without saving, just to see the whole thing in its much better and more immersive VR edition. There are 5 episodes that take at least 1 hour each to beat via speedrunning (without collectibles and on easy mode) and at least 2 hours each to beat with all the collectibles. Therefore, if you have the VR disc, a "full VR playthrough" is still possible if you speedrun it and forget about collecting anything and about trophy completion. It would still take 5-6 hours, even like that. However, the "all collectibles" platinum trophy playthrough would take at least 10-11 hours, which is too much for me in one sitting, so I will skip trophies for the VR version.

Furthermore, I'm guessing the "VR save data" corruption problem is an issue that came later and that was never fixed, because I did try this VR version years ago and I don't remember seeing this major problem with the corrupted save files back then, but, I didn't even pass Episode 1 back then, so, perhaps, that's why I didn't see it. I barely even played it that time, and now that I came back to it I just found out about the problem... To add fire to the problem, it's actually a good stealth game in VR, so being forced to play it outside of VR to be able to pass it the 1st time isn't ideal, but it's the only solution I see now. I also tried deleting and reinstalling Republique VR, and re-downloading the good old save data from the server, but when the game auto-saves automatically and you close it, it still keeps corrupting the save file anyways. I'm actually tempted to look for a "Republique the movie all cutscenes" video in youtube and just watch that to know the [pretty intriguing] story, but after completing Episode 1 100% in VR (without saving) and in non-vr, I am well-aware that it doesn't feel the same way if you see it yourself from your own playthrough vs. if you see it from someone else's video. It simply doesn't hit you as "epic-ly" if you are not the one doing it ?

Edited by ValkerianCreator
  • Like 2