What Version Should I Buy?

Hello, I'm looking to get 100% trophy completion of every Final Fantasy game made for the PS4 onwards (except for the VR game unless I find the unit cheap) and want to maybe run XIV simultaneously to cut down on time. 

My question is what version do I buy? 

Is the starter edition enough? Is the story just that much better with the expansions? Does it speed up the process of the platinum?

Edited by MothersOfMars

You can get the platinum with the starter edition, yes. All trophies can be earned in the base game, without any extension.

This said, getting the complete edition will get you the complete story up to Endwalkers, and the end of the first part of the story (the "Hydaelyn saga"). You will be able to experience Heavensward and Shadowbringers, considered by most players as the best part of the story. And you will be able to bet up to lv.90, which will make the (formerly) high level raids of the coils of Bahamut much much easier to beat for the related trophy, you will even be able to solo it without learning the fights if you don't want to bother with the social aspect of the game.

So it depends, are you in just for the platinum or do you want to experiment the full story and everything the game has to offer. In the first case, just buy the starter edition and find peoples to help you through the high level content, in the second, go for the complete edition and enjoy one of the best FF game there is.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tetho_mig said:

You can get the platinum with the starter edition, yes. All trophies can be earned in the base game, without any extension.

This said, getting the complete edition will get you the complete story up to Endwalkers, and the end of the first part of the story (the "Hydaelyn saga"). You will be able to experience Heavensward and Shadowbringers, considered by most players as the best part of the story. And you will be able to bet up to lv.90, which will make the (formerly) high level raids of the coils of Bahamut much much easier to beat for the related trophy, you will even be able to solo it without learning the fights if you don't want to bother with the social aspect of the game.

So it depends, are you in just for the platinum or do you want to experiment the full story and everything the game has to offer. In the first case, just buy the starter edition and find peoples to help you through the high level content, in the second, go for the complete edition and enjoy one of the best FF game there is.

PS are there two list or something? One has DLC trophies and the other does not. 

I'm assuming a realm reborn is the "reborn version" and the new list? 

Yes, there are two lists. The PS3/4 list is the "A Realm Reborn" list and only cover trophies the base game as it was released in august 2013, without any extension or major update content included. It is a quite easy, and a bit grindy, platinum to get and can be obtained with the starter edition of the game.

The PS5 list, called simply Final Fantasy XIV, covers the whole game, contains trophies for all the extensions up to Shadowbringers in the base list, but also gets new trophies added at each new major update. it is a much harder list (you need to clear the latest extreme and savage raids) and even much more grindier. It is a list that was created in order to provide challenge to the players that are playing since the release of the game and are trying to clear the high-level content as soon as it is released. Most of the content will get easier through time, as new extensions means higher level cap, but in the same time new trophies for the new content will also be added and the latest high-level content will still be challenging.

• 4 weeks later...