Wow! Quite the Surprise.

poetic_justice_

FMV games have a reputation for being the socially awkward lovechild of B-movies and Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books. This makes them uniquely awesome, but typically of lower production value. When the PSN Store recommended She Sees Red, I expected the Eastern equivalent of a Western FMV: a Russian B-movie with horrible dubbing and a branching but brain-dead plot. 

What is here is actually much more than that. The production quality is high. There is no cheesy CGI; the stunts and "bang boom pows!" all use practical effects. The story is intelligent. The acting is believable. The fight choreography is solid. I'm digging this. After finishing the platinum, I kept playing to unlock more scenes. This is more of a short film than a video game; in fact, the studio labels it "interactive movie", an accurate description. The trophies are easy, but this is a game worth playing for reasons other than trophies. If She Sees Red is indicative of what Rhino Tales can produce, they have taken the interactive film crown from Wales Interactive. This is surprisingly high quality, and I hope Rhino Tales continues to produce games/movies like this.

Edited by poetic_justice_
  • Like 2