Nightmare Expert - Safe Strategy

Hi all!

So, I was playing DLC's lately and found all challenges to be ridiculously easy, except this one. At first, I thought I would never make it, because it feels so unfair and hard to navigate. I was shaking, I died and died again, and at some point was almost ready to delete the game. I tried to hide behind the furniture, as people suggested, but it was even more frustrating, unsafe and random. And then, after 1.5-2 hrs it clicked. I haven't found any detailed guide on this challenge, so I will leave mine here. Maybe, it is not the quickest strategy, but I think it is the most safe one. 

General Tips:

RUN IN CIRCLES. ALL THE TIME. CHANGE DIRECTION IF NEEDED. COLLECT ARMOR FROM ENEMIES AND REGENERATE HEALTH AS MUCH AS YOU CAN. DO NOT RUSH.

DEALING WITH WAVES:

STEP I. Memorize first two waves of enemies: 1st wave - 3 soldiers, 2nd wave - 4 KKK members. Try to shoot ahead of enemies when they enter the arena. If you missed your shot - don't stop, stay calm, continue to run. Enemies will ALWAYS rush to the center of the arena and try to shoot you from there, but they have a HUGE problem hitting you if they have to constantly change their aim, so they will be an easy target.

STEP II. Prepare for two Supersoldiers to spawn in the 3rd wave. When only one KKK member from the 2nd wave is left, position yourself near the furniture to the right from 3 BIG CROSSES. Shoot the KKK member and then be ready to shoot first supersoldier in the back right away. After you kill him - START RUNNING IN CIRCLES again. Collect armor, regenerate health if needed. Only shoot second supersoldier when feel safe - he is not a threat when he is alone.

STEP III. There will be 6-7 KKK members in the 4th wave. Deal with them like with the first two waves. Run, shoot, collect armor - there will be a lot left from 2 supersoldiers.

STEP IV. Next wave is 2 Ubersoldiers - robots. Toughest part. Before you kill last KKK member, position yourself before 2 BIG CROSSES. Shoot KKK member, then immediately throw grenade slightly to the left from crosses and quickly start shooting at the first robot. This has to be done quickly, because the second robot is RIGHT BEHIND YOU. Get out of the way! Run in circles and kill him.

STEP V. Last wave - 5 soldiers. Easy. Just run in circles and shoot them when ready.

Here's is the video of my run for reference:

Spoiler

Edited by AllHailScience
  • Like 2

really good guide! I am sure it will come in handy for people going for this trophy, it is by far the hardest challenge in all three DLC's.

I got the trophy a few days ago too, without the help from your guide, but I am sure it would have helped me. I did it in about 40min, so it wasn't too bad, but definitely took a fair amount of tries to get it right, and I agree with all the points in your guide. Stay on the move all the time and learn the spawns.

Also a great tip: Reload both your shockhammers as soon as the trial starts, as you will want the full 40 rounds clip when switching to them later.

• Like 1

Thanks!

Reloading shotguns at the beginning is a great tip!

I did this all the time as I was afraid to be killed while reloading. I didn't mention this here though, because you are completely safe and have pretty much all the time in the world to reload, regenerate health and collect armor, when you run in circles.

Leaving the last enemy from each wave alive and running around them is also a good way to recollect your thoughts, if you are shaking (as was I) and to prepare for the next one.

PS. Also, this challenge is a great illustration of how OP strafing is in this game, it will definitely help during my Mein Leben attempts.

• 3 months later...

I will say, I found your YouTube before I found this thread, going clockwise during regular soldiers spawning and kkk members feels safer, could just be my RNG for the session I played. Get everything in order before shielded enemies and robots. You absolutely want to kill the shielded enemy with the laser cannon first. It’s way easier to dodge the diesel balls than the lasers. Before you reload, ensure you’re not going to instead pick up a heavy weapon, that pretty much will kill a run. The robots are the absolute worst part, with as much practice as you have with regular soldiers, you’ll probably ace the final wave as long as you have decent health. Good luck to anyone who is going for this in the future, it’s probably one of the harder DLC trophies. 

• Like 1