Human shield help

Hi guys, so I'm approaching the platinum and this is one of the few trophies remaining.

For some reason, I've been managing to get 1 human shield kill but I don't know how or why it happened. I've been doing as other guides have shown, get into fights near rifleman, wait for the yellow arrow to appear and press X near an enemy. Now one time, Aveline grabbed an enemy for shield? Most of the time though, she just attacks the enemies. What makes the game decide if I attack or use a human shield? I've been at this for the last half hour or so and it's just getting really annoying. If anyone managed to find a way to increase the success rate at which the human shield happens, please let me know

Its been a while since I played this game and got the Platinum on both versions [ PS3 and PS4 ], but I can say that the best place to farm the human shield kill is to go to the centre of the town where the camp is and the gallows are, this is also a good spot to hang the guards with your whip as well to get the the Hangman trophy.  Just keep at it and you will get it eventually, that's all I can say.   Its a pretty easy Platinum, its not that hard to do the 100% constraints either - I only had to repeat 2 missions to do that. 

10 hours ago, Yah-ReadyKnow said:

Hi guys, so I'm approaching the platinum and this is one of the few trophies remaining.

For some reason, I've been managing to get 1 human shield kill but I don't know how or why it happened. I've been doing as other guides have shown, get into fights near rifleman, wait for the yellow arrow to appear and press X near an enemy. Now one time, Aveline grabbed an enemy for shield? Most of the time though, she just attacks the enemies. What makes the game decide if I attack or use a human shield? I've been at this for the last half hour or so and it's just getting really annoying. If anyone managed to find a way to increase the success rate at which the human shield happens, please let me know

Today I've got the trophy, it was quite easy for me. I've already played ps3 and ps4 versions and for the vita is the same. I'm thinking that maybe your problem is that you press X too soon or too late? I failed 2 times today trying to achieve the trophy because I pressed X too late and they managed to shoot me with the riffle. You need to be really close to the enemy to use him as a shield.

Edited by TJDETWAILER