Grump's 2024 New Year's Trophy Resolutions

So I realize that at the time of posting this it's already a week into 2024, but I decided to do something slightly different with my trophy goals this year. A New Year's Resolution sounded about right for that. Rather than focusing solely on earning platinums, I am going to be working towards specific trophies on games I already own. They might the platinum, a really grindy trophy, the reward for finishing the story or simply the trophy that marks the first significant milestone in the game. This should serve to work through my backlog and clean-up some games that I have neglected for years, all without the pressure of feeling the need to earn the platinum. Like all New Year's Resolutions, I have guidelines for how I want to accomplish this and a specific list of trophies that I will be earning this year. Here's to hoping this helps me to experience more of my gaming library without growing the number of unplayed games.

The Rules

1. The list cannot exceed 50 trophies (but new trophies can be added up to that point)
  2. No more than 3 trophies from each base game (and 1 from each DLC)
  3. Trophies may only be swapped from the list if they become unobtainable for some reason (servers close, dog eats game, etc)
  4. I can buy/preorder a new game for every 10 trophies that are unlocked

The List

Spoiler
  1. Walked the Path - The Witcher 3 (Gold)
  2. Card Collector - The Witcher 3 (Bronze)
  3. The Limits of the Possible - The Witcher 3 (Platinum)
  4. Pacta Sunt Servanda - The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone (Bronze)
  5. Embodiment of the Five Virtues - The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine (Bronze)
  6. End of the Line - FC24 (Silver)
  7. Seasoned Veteran - FC24 (Silver)
  8. Record Breaker - FC24 (Gold)
  9. Vanquished - Mortal Kombat 1 (Silver)
  10. Big Smiles All Around - Sleeping Dogs (Silver)
  11. Hong Kong Legend - Sleeping Dogs (Platinum)
  12. Departure - Alan Wake (Bronze)
  13. Refugee - Frostpunk (Bronze)
  14. Technocrat - Frostpunk (Bronze)
  15. Winterhome - Frostpunk (Bronze)
  16. The Sapphire Star - Monster Hunter World (Silver)
  17. Octavia's Anthem - Warframe PS5 (Gold)
  18. Mission Complete - Immortals Fenyx Rising (Gold)
  19. The End - Immortals Fenyx Rising (Platinum)
  20. Destined Liberator - Tales of Arise (Gold)
  21. Arisen - Tales of Arise (Platinum)
  22. Ended the war machine threat - Horizon Zero Dawn (Gold)
  23. Margit, the Fell Omen - Elden Ring (Bronze)
  24. Showdown Sovereign - Gotham Knights (Gold)
  25. The Cold, the Bad and the Ugly - Gotham Knights (Gold)
  26. Team Hunter - Wild Hearts (Bronze)
  27. Reincarnation Cycle Stopper - Wild Hearts (Silver)
  28. Revelations - Assassin's Creed Revelations (Gold)
  29. The Conqueror - Assassin's Creed Revelations (Platinum)
  30. Restore Balance - Kena Bridge of Spirits (Gold)
  31. Dedicated - Spider-Man 2 (Platinum)
  32. Cleric Beast - Bloodborne (Bronze)
  33. Falling Star - Final Fantasy XVI (Gold)
  34. Destiny's Crossroads - Final Fantasy VII Remake (Bronze)
  35. Family is Forever - Marvel's Midnight Suns (Gold)
  36. Death From Above - Hitman 3 (Bronze)
  37. NEXUS-47 - Hitman 3 (Bronze)
  38. Delving Onward - Return to Moria (Silver)
  39. Folk Hero - LEGO 2K Drive (Gold)
  40. 6K Drive - LEGO 2K Drive (Silver)
  41. Just the Two of Us - Sable (Silver)
  42. Kompletionist - Mortal Kombat 1 (Platinum)
  43. Personal Growth - Nobody Saves the World (Gold)
  44. Marshall Commander - Star Wars Battlefront Classic Collection (Platinum)

Completed

Spoiler
  1. Unstoppable - InFamous Second Son (Silver) January 28, 2024
  2. What Just Happened?? - Mortal Kombat 1 (Gold) January 28, 2024
  3. Clean Sweep - inFamous Second Son (Silver) January 29, 2024
  4. Endling - Endling: Extinction is Forever (Platinum) February 11, 2024
  5. We Are FOAMSTARS! - Foamstars (Gold) February 18, 2024
  6. An Old Friend Returns - Assassin's Creed II (Gold) March 10, 2024
  7. Master Assassin - Assassin's Creed II (Platinum) March 17, 2024
  8. A Knife to the Heart - Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (Gold) March 30, 2024
  9. Julius Caesar - Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (Platinum) April 28, 2024
  10. The Flapmaster - Goat Simulator (Silver) May 6, 2024

Edited by grumpaluffagus_1
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, grumpaluffagus_1 said:

4. I can buy/preorder a new game for every 10 trophies that are unlocked

Great idea! I wish I had that self-control!!

Best of luck with The Witcher 3 (love that game) and I'm all for the idea of just starting with the Cleric Beast trophy in Bloodborne. There's nothing wrong with picking a first trophy / first boss and starting with that as a goal. 👊

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's almost the end of month one, and I have successfully crossed three trophies off the list

First up is Unstoppable from Infamous Second Son, for completing the game on Expert difficulty. This difficulty did not feel any different than Easy/Normal until the last two boss fights. For those, Delsin was unable to take more than one hit at once and the bosses had some nice stunlocking combos to up the challenge. It only took me a few attempts to figure out the pattern to safely finish the fight. There was one phase in which additional enemies were spawned in and that was the worst part of the game. It meant I couldn't focus on the boss, but also couldn't fully focus on the other enemies. It resulted in dying many times to enemies I just didn't see.

Next was What Just Happened?? from Mortal Kombat 1, for completing the story. I really enjoyed the story and seeing bits of all the characters. I was not expecting the absurd nature of the back half, but it was a lot of fun to experience. This is my first ever Mortal Kombat game and I definitely want to keep playing. Maybe if I manage to master any of the characters, I will try out some of the other games in the series.

And finally was Clean Sweep from Infamous Second Son, for 100% in the open world. Funnily enough this trophy popped before the trophy for finishing the last type of open world activity, which threw me off and made me believe that the other trophy might be glitched. This game featured one of my favorite open worlds ever. It was fun to traverse using Delsin's powers and none of the activities were too tedious or requiring a guide, which is a definite bonus. This also gave me the platinum, marking the end of a game that was mostly a warm-up for Spider-Man 2 since having my first playthrough after Spider-Man just made this game feel disappointing.

I'm going to add a few more trophies to my list to encompass games that I really want to play more of.

• 2 weeks later...

I have another trophy complete with Endling, the platinum for Endling Extinction is Forever. This game is gorgeous and fun, although the 100% is a bit tedious. I really love the slow pollution of the game world as the story progresses. It provides a glimpse into what's to come as well as emphasizing the care with which the developers crafted this world. As for the story, this is one of only a couple games to make me cry and it managed it without needing any dialogue to lay the groundwork for it's heartwrenching conclusion (I would not mind a sequel that follows Badger following the events of this game).

Going to add one more trophy to the list in the hopes of reaching 10 sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since I updated, so there are a few new completions to add to the list.

• We Are FOAMSTARS! - A fun game, the online community definitely died after the first two weeks. At least the only trophy I have left is completely single-player.
  • An Old Friend Returns - I was not a fan of this story, the middle sequences and the DLC really felt unnecessary and made the whole experience worse. It felt like the writing teams for these sequences and no idea what was going on with any other part of the story.
  • Master Assassin - Getting the platinum was pretty easy after finishing the story. It didn't make it better, but there were no infuriating grinds to make me dislike it more.
  • A Knife to the Heart - Story was great, so much more cohesive than AC2. I loved Machiavelli and La Volpe and the fact that there were relevant plot points beyond just kill Templar bad man.
  • Julius Caesar - I hated the 100% sync for this platinum. None of the collectibles/miscellaneous trophies were bad, but the optional objectives on some of these missions were downright cruel. Also, there were too many side quests included in this to artificially increase the time required.
  • The Flapmaster - I hated everything about this. It took ten hours.

And that makes 10. I'm going to go ahead and buy Star Wars Battlefront Classic Collection since it's May, albeit a few days late for the holiday.

• Like 1