Wanting to 100% PS5 Trilogy - Should I wait for guide?

Hi everyone, very interested in starting and getting 100% in this trilogy on PS5. Never played the originals. Is there anything I should know?

I know Tomb Cleaner and Gifts of Wonderland are currently unobtainable, but other than that, how glitchy are the trophies? Do these devs have a history of fixing anything? Can you save scum/retry any? Approximately how long will the trilogy take? Am I better off waiting a while for a guide, if one is being created?

Sorry for the vague question but any insight would be appreciated.

12 minutes ago, Cosmicborne said:

Hi everyone, very interested in starting and getting 100% in this trilogy on PS5. Never played the originals. Is there anything I should know?

I know Tomb Cleaner and Gifts of Wonderland are currently unobtainable, but other than that, how glitchy are the trophies? Do these devs have a history of fixing anything? Can you save scum/retry any? Approximately how long will the trilogy take? Am I better off waiting a while for a guide, if one is being created?

The trophies are okay bar those ones, you have to manually save in these game as there was auto save feature in them and level select didn't appear until Tomb Raider 2, I personally think that the Tomb Cleaner trophy is down to a mistake upon Aspyr's part in that Atlantis has only 50 pickups and not 51 like they are saying in the stats.  There is a guide to the Tomb Raider games: https://tombraiders.net/index.html  Aspyr have yet to patch the Tomb Cleaner/G of W trophies, as it is their mistake.

6 minutes ago, alexandra-jane09 said:

The trophies are okay bar those ones, you have to manually save in these game as there was auto save feature in them and level select didn't appear until Tomb Raider 2, I personally think that the Tomb Cleaner trophy is down to a mistake upon Aspyr's part in that Atlantis has only 50 pickups and not 51 like they are saying in the stats.  There is a guide to the Tomb Raider games: https://tombraiders.net/index.html  Aspyr have yet to patch the Tomb Cleaner/G of W trophies, as it is their mistake.

Okay great, thank you for the link to those guides. I think I'll hang in the shadows until it has been patched. There are also some trophies in Tomb Raider III that have 0.00% completion across the board I can see, do you know if there's a reason why? Mainly for beating the bonus level and riding all ziplines.

1 hour ago, Cosmicborne said:

Okay great, thank you for the link to those guides. I think I'll hang in the shadows until it has been patched. There are also some trophies in Tomb Raider III that have 0.00% completion across the board I can see, do you know if there's a reason why? Mainly for beating the bonus level and riding all ziplines.

Not sure as I haven't got there yet, maybe other players have not reached the game yet either. 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2024 at 3:43 PM, Cosmicborne said:

At present both TR1 and TR3 have unobtainable trophies but considering all three games are quite lengthy and difficult, there are 269 trophies to achieve (again, many of them difficult), plus a patch is due soon (awaiting Sony's approval) with the devs promising ongoing support (they're already working on the next patch), I'd suggest you just dive in right now and enjoy the games for what they are.

To answer your questions:

How glitchy are the trophies?

Aside from the unobtainable trophies (four in the PS5 version, six for the PS4), I have found just one trophy in TR3 which popped when it shouldn't have. You're supposed to grab a certain medipack before a monkey gets it, but you can claim the trophy by running past the monkey and grabbing a different medipack in the water. It makes no difference because the trophy is easy to get anyway so it's not a glitch worth worrying about. So far, all other trophies have popped when they should, but other people might have had different experiences.

Do these devs have a history of fixing anything?

I'm not massively familiar with the devs but can say that Aspyr released a patch for Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast a number of years after the game launched (so clearly continued to support it) and that some of the devs for the Tomb Raider Remasters worked on the OpenLara project (a Tomb Raider open-source engine), are actively working on patches and are dedicated to making the best version of the Remasters they can, so I'm guessing these games are in safe hands? I think they've done a good enough job already so will give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Can you save scum/retry any trophies?

Yes, you can save at any point in the games; you have 32 save slots to use (per game) so it's easy to save scum. I actually think doing so is essential for some trophies due to how difficult they are.

Approximately how long will the trilogy take?

This obviously depends on individual skill and if you even like the gameplay of course, but (as mentioned above) all three games are quite lengthy/difficult plus there are 269 trophies, three of which require speedruns (meaning you might need to practice a lot to get decent times), three trophies for new game+ (which are apparently tough) and other trophies for meeting certain conditions (such as only using particular weapons or not using healing items, etc) so I'm going to say that it might take a while and several playthroughs. I've been playing TR3 for about a week (say 30 hours) and I am about halfway through, albeit I have not been using a guide so I've been exploring everywhere and figuring out the trophies on my own. I've also been playing TR1 and TR2 on my alt account, again having sunk in a fair few hours yet not getting very far. It will probably take me weeks to finish these games (possibly months for the platinums depending on how difficult they are). Obviously you'll be a lot faster if you are following a guide but don't expect to be whizzing through in a couple of hours.

Am I better off waiting a while for a guide, if one is being created?

Considering you have never played the originals you will definitely need a guide for some of the trophies because they require using glitches and speedrunning techniques. The trophy lists seem designed for the TR fans who grew up with the original games but even they will probably need a guide. These games are not easy and the trophy lists reflect that, adding even more challenge onto already tough games. However, you don't necessarily need to wait for a guide because there are already loads available from the time of the original releases and since. There are quite a few miscellaneous trophies but most of the descriptions are self explanatory and I'm sure you could find the answers on here/elsewhere for the ones you might not be sure about.

Having said that...

You seem keen to play the Trilogy while following a guide. It's up to you of course but these games are absolute classics and I highly recommend going in blind and discovering these gems for yourself. These trophy lists have to be the most enjoyable ones I've experienced so far on PSN - yes, challenging, but also incredibly rewarding. Seriously, for anyone thinking about following a guide from the outset: you're just ruining it for yourself. Step away from the internet and discover Lara's beginning without the handhold, like you're meant to. You'll have way more fun. Oh, and use the original tank controls.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, widdok said:

At present both TR1 and TR3 have unobtainable trophies but considering all three games are quite lengthy and difficult, there are 269 trophies to achieve (again, many of them difficult), plus a patch is due soon (awaiting Sony's approval) with the devs promising ongoing support (they're already working on the next patch), I'd suggest you just dive in right now and enjoy the games for what they are.

All the information I could possibly ask for in one response. Thank you so much.

I will probably play through with a guide as I have recently watched a streamer play the trilogy. It is actually what piqued my interest in the first place. Looks challenging and rewarding.

I actually don't have the time to dedicate towards the monster trophy list right now, so I will probably wait until the patch drops anyway just to confirm it fixes things, even though these developers seem great on that front. I don't really feel like potentially jeopardising my otherwise absolutely 100% completed profile with unobtainable trophies, even if they have a high chance of being fixed. I had that scare with PowerWash Simulator recently and was relieved when the devs fixed it, haha.

Thank you again so much for your response, this is immensely helpful information. I'll see what the patch has in store then begin the 269 trophy journey if it fixes stuff.

13 minutes ago, Cosmicborne said:

All the information I could possibly ask for in one response. Thank you so much.

I will probably play through with a guide as I have recently watched a streamer play the trilogy. It is actually what piqued my interest in the first place. Looks challenging and rewarding.

I actually don't have the time to dedicate towards the monster trophy list right now, so I will probably wait until the patch drops anyway just to confirm it fixes things, even though these developers seem great on that front. I don't really feel like potentially jeopardising my otherwise absolutely 100% completed profile with unobtainable trophies, even if they have a high chance of being fixed. I had that scare with PowerWash Simulator recently and was relieved when the devs fixed it, haha.

Thank you again so much for your response, this is immensely helpful information. I'll see what the patch has in store then begin the 269 trophy journey if it fixes stuff.

You're welcome. I'm glad you found the information useful (and maybe others will too). Completely agree with your decision to wait for a patch/confirmation that everything works, particularly given that you have a 100% profile (which I'll never have but maintaining that would stress me out, ha). Hope you enjoy the games when you eventually get to play them. I'm sure you will.

• Like 1

Certainly an interesting workaround. If it weren't for Gifts of Wonderland and a couple of Tomb Raider III trophies being unobtainable too, I'd start the game. I'll still wait for a patch, but this is a great workaround for anyone going for it currently.