The Coda Grind

Hey everyone I’m finally at the endgame of Crypt in terms of trophies as I just need two more trophies and I’m going to start the Coda grind in march and would like to know about how long it takes to clear coda. I’m going to use the month of march to dedicate all of my Crypt time on coda and would like to know realistically how far someone can progress with coda in one month. I heard it takes a couple of months of playtime before getting a single clear but is that the case with a controller or will it take a lot more time to clear coda on controller? 

It's definitely possible to get the clear within a month if you're gunna be playing every day, not unrealistic at all. Also depends on what approach you're going for, phasing mode with DLC I found easiest compared to no dlc where you to find the ring. Or even crazier if you're trying to do it no phasing 😂

I recommend just using up the time before you start playing to watch some clears on the approach you're going to be taking just to see what ways people tackle the bosses since there's potentially a few quick kills or strats you don't know about.

I wouldn't say it'll be any slower to get the clear on controller, especially if you haven't even tried to play on keyboard since it'll take time to even get used to keyboard.

Make sure you don't rush out of each floor, focus on getting loot and prepping items for the bosses. Good luck, I'll be in those streams and try help out 🫡

• Like 2

Oh so you're finally STARTING the real challenge?! Congrats on reaching this far in your hunt. Unfortunately, it's hard to give you an estimate of how far you can progress in a month. It depends on how good you are at maintaining double tempo and how many hours you'll be playing in a day. Playing with a controller will surely hurt your thumb and make you take breaks more often than a keyboard. But that doesn't mean it'll take longer to clear Coda with a controller than with a keyboard because after all, getting a clear depends on the player's skills and how quickly they learn the game. 

Another factor to consider is: Are you playing coda with Phasing mode or regular mode? Getting a clear in phasing mode is easier and will save you time. I'd say reaching Zone 3 is possible within the first month at around 100-150 hours.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Im_Wizolo said:

It's definitely possible to get the clear within a month if you're gunna be playing every day, not unrealistic at all. Also depends on what approach you're going for, phasing mode with DLC I found easiest compared to no dlc where you to find the ring. Or even crazier if you're trying to do it no phasing 😂

I recommend just using up the time before you start playing to watch some clears on the approach you're going to be taking just to see what ways people tackle the bosses since there's potentially a few quick kills or strats you don't know about.

I wouldn't say it'll be any slower to get the clear on controller, especially if you haven't even tried to play on keyboard since it'll take time to even get used to keyboard.

Make sure you don't rush out of each floor, focus on getting loot and prepping items for the bosses. Good luck, I'll be in those streams and try help out 🫡

2 minutes ago, MohandGamer7 said:

Oh so you're finally STARTING the real challenge?! Congrats on reaching this far in your hunt. Unfortunately, it's hard to give you an estimate of how far you can progress in a month. It depends on how good you are at maintaining double tempo and how many hours you'll be playing in a day. Playing with a controller will surely hurt your thumb and make you take breaks more often than a keyboard. But that doesn't mean it'll take longer to clear Coda with a controller than with a keyboard because after all, getting a clear depends on the player's skills and how quickly they learn the game. 

Another factor to consider is: Are you playing coda with Phasing mode or regular mode? Getting a clear in phasing mode is easier and will save you time. I'd say reaching Zone 3 is possible within the first month at around 100-150 hours.

I’m definitely going to be playing on the phasing mode for the clear as for playtime I’m going to be putting in a crazy amount of playtime more than my initial peak of December playtime. Also I’ll definitely look up some strategies for coda for bosses before I start. One more thing does calibrated latency play a huge part in getting a clear? I’ve been using the results from the calibration test but is it better to put a calibration manually or does it not make a huge difference?

8 minutes ago, UnknownProphesy said:

One more thing does calibrated latency play a huge part in getting a clear?

I would say yes it's important. Although I don't exactly know how to explain it but if the latency is not well adjusted, there will be an increasing delay between the beats that will eventually reach the point of missing a beat, and that can mean death with Coda. To know if you're latency is good, start zone 1 and move around a bit. You'd want the 2 beat bars (from right and left) to stop before they touch each other but as close as possible. That might not be ideal but it helps a bit if you're moving with consistent rhythm because as you know, moving fast or slow will affect these bars too.  

• Like 1

Just started the grind today have played coda for around 4 hours and have gotten to 1-2 a couple of times but I have probably hundreds of deaths already💀 I have been experiencing frequent crashes after starting coda as I have had around 13 crashes in 4 hours Is this common playing as coda or have I just been unlucky? I’m tempted to go pre dlc to reduce these crashes but I’m not sure if I should. 

Sounds unlucky to me, I know it crashes frequently with the dlc, but 13 in 4 hours is rough. It doesn't hurt to switch to pre dlc, but if you're planning to look for the phasing ring, then it's gunna be quite frustrating too. Might help become better and more confident at coda though since you'll have to fight more to get the loot. Whichever you choose to do, I wish you luck. Its gunna be a grind.

Coda isn't the most difficult thing anymore as you can cheese it with the phasing ability bombs are going to be the item carrying you so save as many as possible and I like to go straight to the miniboss aggro them then dance somewhere till they dig to me, it's quite effective for saving bombs. As for bosses, you want to get King Kong early as his higher variants are much harder, and you want to get Death metal and Fortisimole near the end as they are the easier bosses. Not much to say other than practice the beat and abuse the phasing ability to get through this.

Edited by Yukiko Miyamoto

5 minutes ago, Yukiko Miyamoto said:

Coda isn't the most difficult thing anymore as you can cheese it with the phasing ability bombs are going to be the item carrying you so save as many as possible and I like to go straight to the miniboss aggro them then dance somewhere till they dig to me, it's quite effective for saving bombs. As for bosses, you want to get King Kong early as his higher variants are much harder, and you want to get Death metal and Fortisimole near the end as they are the easier bosses. Not much to say other than practice the beat and abuse the phasing ability to get through this.

Yeah my main focus right now is to maintain the beat and build that muscle memory with coda before worrying about the bosses.

19 hours ago, UnknownProphesy said:

Just started the grind today have played coda for around 4 hours and have gotten to 1-2 a couple of times but I have probably hundreds of deaths already💀 I have been experiencing frequent crashes after starting coda as I have had around 13 crashes in 4 hours Is this common playing as coda or have I just been unlucky? I’m tempted to go pre dlc to reduce these crashes but I’m not sure if I should. 

Dying frequently in zone 1-1 is the reason for these crashes. yeah it's known for the game to crash a lot, especially with repeated deaths within seconds. Hopefully, the game won't crash as much when you start surviving longer. I had the game once crashed on me when I entered the stairs to zone 4 or 5 can't remember and I was so annoyed. 

Edited by MohandGamer7

On 2/26/2024 at 2:27 PM, UnknownProphesy said:

I’m definitely going to be playing on the phasing mode for the clear as for playtime I’m going to be putting in a crazy amount of playtime more than my initial peak of December playtime. Also I’ll definitely look up some strategies for coda for bosses before I start. One more thing does calibrated latency play a huge part in getting a clear? I’ve been using the results from the calibration test but is it better to put a calibration manually or does it not make a huge difference?

It's best to do it manually the auto latency is very inaccurate, 100m+ seems to be good for double tempo while below 50m is decent for normal tempo.

20 hours ago, UnknownProphesy said:

The Amplified DLC has a random crashing issue, sadly unavoidable, so it can pretty much end any run whenever it feels like it.